Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

brokenkettle

May 7, 2003, 7:15 AM

Post #1 of 4 (3162 views)

Shortcut

"Clean" fun for students going to Oaxaca

Can't Post | Private Reply
Headed to Oaxaca City in early June and am looking for some ideas to keep 10 Kansas teenagers ocupados during their stay. They will be home-staying, taking classes at Rogelio Ballesteros' Amigos del Sol language institute, visiting the outlying villages to view their wares, visiting Tule, Monte Alban, and possibly Hierve al Agua.

Does anyone know if there are visits to coffee "plantations," mezcal factories, hiking experiences, or the like that we might try. Open to suggestions!

pathall

May 7, 2003, 9:00 AM

Post #2 of 4 (3147 views)

Shortcut

Re: [brokenkettle] "Clean" fun for students going to Oaxaca

Don't forget to visit Mitla, close to Oaxaca.
Pat

Esteban

May 7, 2003, 6:14 PM

Post #3 of 4 (3121 views)

Shortcut

I've taken a few teenagers to different parts of Mexico and found that other Mexican teens will gravitate towards them and start up conversations. The Mexican teens I've had experience with, are very polite, inquisitive and want to make connections with norteamericanos. I don't think you'll have any problems finding companionships which will lead to a plethora of ideas for having good fun. The best way to find those special places will be from the people who live near where you'll be staying. Forget the net, forget what you are thinking and wait for the trip to unfold when you are there. Don't worry, I guarantee it will happen and your teens will be blown away by the warm reception they'll get.

geri

May 25, 2003, 1:23 PM

Post #4 of 4 (3079 views)

Shortcut

Estaban is right. Mexican hospitality is overwhelming. You'll love Rogelio and his school. He will steer you to places to hike. He's very "in tune" with the natural aspect of the area. It looks like your "free" days will be taken up with trips to villages. For a close-in hiking area, go to the end of the bus line in San Felipe (in the foothills, just 15 min. by bus). When you get off the bus, turn left and you'll see a guarded gate and entrance into a park and trail along a creek that goes to several waterfalls.

geri

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4