¡Hasta pronto!
Roy B. Dudley "El Gringo Jalapeño" See more about Xalapa at www.xalaparoy.com

PeggyS

Apr 28, 2003, 12:17 AM

Post #2 of 16 (6042 views)

Shortcut

Jennifer + Morelia

Can't Post | Private Reply
At dinner tonight, (Jon Esquivel's farewell performance and dinner) several people at our table had made their first trip to Morelia and they were full of information about how wonderful it is. They said that it was like a beautiful town in Europe, only better. I have never heard them or anyone else so enthusiastic about any place in Mexico. Now we can't wait to go there. It sounds fantastic.

jennifer rose

Apr 28, 2003, 7:57 AM

Post #3 of 16 (6033 views)

Shortcut

Re: [PeggyS] Jennifer + Morelia

Can't Post |
Just don't let the word get out about the new 27-hole Jack Nicklaus golf course, the Tec de Monterrey campus, the awesome new fraccionamientos on the road to Jesus del Monte, the Sam's Club under construction, and the Peugeot dealership, OK? Or the second Sanborn's, rising property values, four daily newspapers, the dances of the Golden Era for those of the third age on the plaza the first Thursday of every month, the international airport with flights (soon) to IAH, Mikono Sushi Bars all over town, the Villa Montana's new chef and the fantastic Sunday buffet, my 'hood, Cinepolis' expansion, the International Film Festival, the Organizacion Ramirez, dynamic state and municipal leadership, the Palacio del Arte, and the Bandera?

Yeah, it is better than Europe! And that's not just Michoacan pride speaking. All of the Chilangos moving here can't be wrong. <g>

Chumley

Apr 29, 2003, 1:48 PM

Post #4 of 16 (5983 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jennifer rose] Jennifer + Morelia

Can't Post |
You had me until you mentioned all the Chilangos moving there. If there's one thing that turns me off, it's a bunch of DF's.

ImTootsie

May 2, 2003, 5:52 AM

Post #5 of 16 (5951 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Don Agustín] Jennifer + Morelia

What's a "chilango?"

ET

May 2, 2003, 7:22 AM

Post #6 of 16 (5943 views)

Shortcut

Re: [ImTootsie] Jennifer + Morelia

ImTootsie writes:
What's a "chilango?"

Slang term for somebody who lives in Mexico City or the DF. Much like any other nickname there's some context sensitivity, with residents calling each other chilangos, people describing somebody from the DF as being a chilango, but a touch of caution needed when calling somebody from the DF a chilango to their face, when you're not from the DF.

ImTootsie

May 2, 2003, 7:26 AM

Post #7 of 16 (5939 views)

Shortcut

Re: [ET] Jennifer + Morelia

Ah, thanks! Live & learn. . .

Chumley

May 2, 2003, 1:07 PM

Post #8 of 16 (5922 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jennifer rose] Jennifer + Morelia

Can't Post |
They're going to build a Jack Nicklaus golf course in Morelia too? How many can Mexico support? (See San Miguel/Guanajuato forum regarding our controversial golf course)

jennifer rose

May 2, 2003, 1:41 PM

Post #9 of 16 (5916 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Don Agustín] Jennifer + Morelia

Can't Post |
We're proud as heck about the new golf course. It's definitely a welcome addition to Morelia's landscape, and it should benefit Morelia in many, many ways.

And I don't think Mexico will have any problem supporting new golf course construction .... or the new 5-star hotel slated to adjoin the property.

The new golf course is part of a dozen of so of the Nicklaus projects currently in design or under production in Mexico. Prior golf course projects were located at coastal resorts, so bringing the project inland should represent a tremendous boon to communities like yours and mine.

The expatriate who wonders if he or she can live on $900 USD/month isn't going to support the golf course any more than the campesinos and poor folks will, but the real audience will be the Mexican upper-middle class and tourists.

(This post was edited by jennifer rose on May 2, 2003, 1:43 PM)

Esteban

May 4, 2003, 8:33 PM

Post #10 of 16 (5863 views)

Shortcut

Public Service assignments at the course

I volunteered as a course marshall at a Robert Trent Jones Jr. designed golf course here in Mazatlan. It was incredible and for my efforts, I got to golf for free. I'm not a golf nut but I did enjoy the couple of months I spent on one of the most beautiful courses I have ever played. If you know the duties of a marshall, it might be worth the effort to talk to the local pro, in your area, and see if there might be a public service job for you! If you are ever in Mazatlan, check out the course at Estrella del Mar. They sell condos and are located south of Mazatlan on a deserted stretch of gorgeous ocean front property. The normal price is a little above $100 US for 18 holes but sometimes, they have special deals.

Madam  ZZ

May 7, 2003, 12:26 PM

Post #11 of 16 (5802 views)

Shortcut

Re: Chilangos

Can't Post |
A subtlety to the use of Chilango: It connotes CHEAP. Chilango's who operate businesses near Cancun are known to not tip staff when patronizing other restaurants. They don't necessarily think their employees should be getting much in tips either. They believe in the minimum wage is a living wage. At least in spirit.

ganadero

Jun 1, 2003, 10:00 AM

Post #12 of 16 (5735 views)

Shortcut

Lorena Ochoa, LPGA Golfer from Guadalajara...

Can't Post |
...has sparked interest in golf in Mexico. This will eventually make golf accessible to all who want to play, not just bluebloods. As far as class issues are concerned, golf is probably 50 years behind the times compared to the USA, where any hacker with $10 (yours truly included) can play at some nice courses.

By the way, Lorena Ochoa was womens amateur champion of Mexico while in high school, then took a full ride scholarship to University of Arizona, where she won the NCAA womens tournament. She turned pro after only two years at UA, and now at 20 is one of the top LPGA players in the world.

There are some excellent golf courses in GDL as well. Santa Anita, el Palomar, las Canadas & GDL Country Club which is the original deal. I fit right in at the Ocotlan Golf Course in Ocotlan, Jalisco. Unpretentious and cheap, greens mowed short and the rest of the course mowed high!

Great news about the new golf course in Morelia, which will be a big job provider in the area also.

Ganadero
----------

Esteban

Jun 1, 2003, 10:50 AM

Post #13 of 16 (5726 views)

Shortcut

Re: [ganadero] Lorena Ochoa, LPGA Golfer from Guadalajara...

My only concern with golf courses in Mexico (which is actually becoming a large problem in areas of the US also) is the vast amounts of potable water being used for irrigation. If I'm correct, most of Mexico has problems with potable water infrastructure. So here comes big money, they put in big wells or draw from depleted government water systems and the future becomes a bit depressing. Tucson has been converting golf courses to reclaimed water since the water table in that area has been lowered over 100 feet in the last 50 years.

jennifer rose

Jun 1, 2003, 12:19 PM

Post #14 of 16 (5715 views)

Shortcut

Reclaimed Water

Can't Post |
The new golf course (27 holes) will be watered with reclaimed water, and it's my understanding that's the plan also for the one in San Miguel de Allende.

geri

Jun 9, 2003, 6:34 AM

Post #15 of 16 (5612 views)

Shortcut

Re: ["El Gringo Jalapeño"] Jennifer + Morelia

It's too bad they can't use some of that reclaimed water for irrigation of fields in Oaxaca. Sometimes some villages experience such severe drought that farmers' crops are greatly reduced. But I suppose if everyone got enough to eat and had surplus money for niceties that would increase the population of Mexico. Also, there wouldn't be as many migrants to work the fields in the U.S. It's a dilemna for sure.

Geri

Esteban

Jun 9, 2003, 4:49 PM

Post #16 of 16 (5570 views)

Shortcut

Re: [geri] Jennifer + Morelia

As you can probably imagine, reclaimed water has to be used close to the source. There are a lot of water saving methods of farming that could be implemented and of course, if there is a sewage treatment plant, a method could be devised to not only use the reclaimed water but to use other by products from sewage like sludge and methane gas. Of course there isn't much one can do for a severe drought except maybe call on the rain gods and do the appropriate dance. Here in Mazatlan, we are facing a severe drought. It will be an interesting year if we don't get water again. Juan Millan, the governor has already made a disaster relief proposal.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4