Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring

Don Undershute

Apr 8, 2003, 5:31 PM

Post #1 of 8 (5161 views)

Shortcut

Crossing at Nogales questions

Can't Post | Private Reply
First post seems to work so here are some more questions.

What is the order of business at which checkpoint re:

a. Fmt - 60 days

b. Vehicle permit

c. Customs - are we allowed 300 US$ each in exemptions for house hold goods we want to bring - no computor included.

d. What is duty rate and/or tax if the customs agent decides that we are over the limit based on our valuation.

Rolly

Apr 8, 2003, 5:42 PM

Post #2 of 8 (5151 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Don Undershute] Crossing at Nogales questions

I don't really understand your question on items a to c. D is a little tricky. There are different rates for different categories of items. And, in large measure, it is up to the agent. In general, the nicer you are, the lower the cost.

Sorry for the vague answer, but thatís the way it is.

Rolly Pirate

jennifer rose

Apr 8, 2003, 6:31 PM

Post #3 of 8 (5143 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Don Undershute] Crossing at Nogales questions

Can't Post |

In Reply To
c. Customs - are we allowed 300 US$ each in exemptions for house hold goods we want to bring - no computor included?

By land, your franquicia is $50 USD. There are a number of items which you can bring duty-free, detailed at http://www.mexconnected.com/mex_/whatstuff.html.

For more information, see http://www.paisano.gob.mx

David Eidell

Apr 11, 2003, 12:37 PM

Post #4 of 8 (5106 views)

Shortcut

More Questions

Hi,

Has anyone crossed lately? I'm wondering if it would be worthwhile for me to obtain my Fianza and FMT at Tecate, so that I can roll past the 21 KM checkpoint without a big delay. I would have to cross la linea to get the permits and then wait maybe fifteen to twenty minutes to re-enter the U.S. at Tecate. I do remember in deep winter (high season) about the log jam at Nogales and wonder if things are still busy at the end of April during a week day.

Esteban

Apr 12, 2003, 4:39 AM

Post #5 of 8 (5074 views)

Shortcut

Re: [eidell] More Questions

I have always advocated doing it that way. Have all your copies of the needed docs including your FM-T and all you have to do is go up to the window instead of scrambling around with everyone else getting copies, getting stuff stamped etc. Although I haven't been thru the 21k lately, Semana Santa is coming up and it could be a long wait.

spiderwoman

Apr 13, 2003, 11:10 AM

Post #6 of 8 (5044 views)

Shortcut

Re: [eidell] More Questions

Can't Post |
We just crossed Nogales 2 weeks ago today. Regarding the 21k stop,,, we had our FM3's and copies of everything already in hand, and we were in and out in no time.

alex .

Apr 14, 2003, 8:33 AM

Post #7 of 8 (5018 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Esteban] yup, me too.

The tough part about getting the FMT in Tecate is finding someone in the office, I have had to go wandering around to find someone to approve the application. So I usually get my FMT (oops, it expired on the 9th, time to get another!) at San Ysidro: in, out, paid in 5 minutes. But then I get the car permit in Tecate. You can pull into the aduana from the MX side, get the permit, and exit on the MX side, no need to cross into the US and double back. Sometimes there is a line, I've seen as many as 3 people in line before. And the gal that issues the temporary importation is drop-dead gorgeous. ;<)
Alex

(This post was edited by alex . on Apr 14, 2003, 8:38 AM)

isabella

May 23, 2003, 8:30 AM

Post #8 of 8 (4962 views)

Shortcut

Re: [spiderwoman] More Questions

Hi Spider woman and all of yall,

I am heading north from down around Melaque on Monday and plan to go through Nogales. I too hae an fm3. I need copies of what to get through. I haven't driven backsince I got my fme and my car has been here for two years. Thanks for your help. I want this to go smooth and I need to be sure and show them my car is leaving, soI can bring another back.thanks for your help.

Brenda

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4