Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Home, Garden & Construction in Mexico

Camille

Apr 7, 2003, 8:00 PM

Post #1 of 5 (2441 views)

Shortcut

Metal roofing

Can't Post | Private Reply
I'm looking for some kind of corrugated metal roofing material. I saw a roof near the airport in Puerto Vallarta, over a parking area, which appeared to be really deeply corrugated, like maybe 12 inches... has anyone seen anything similar? This is part of my rainwater-harvesting plan, so it needs to be metal... certainly not asbestos!

Camille

esperanza

Apr 8, 2003, 4:19 PM

Post #2 of 5 (2429 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Camille] Metal roofing

Yes, this is called lámina and should be readily available at any building supply store.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

Esteban

Apr 9, 2003, 7:05 AM

Post #3 of 5 (2418 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Camille] Metal roofing

I wouldn't discount asbestos roofing until you find out more of the facts. I'd guess that more than 50% of the entire system of water distribution in the United States is done with asbestos pipe. The asbestos is mixed with various materials including a pigment that may last longer and not create any problems whatsoever. The big problem with asbestos, are the fibers entering the lungs. That ocurrs when people work in asbestos plants, or work in some job where there is the possiblilty of breathing the fibers. Most of the lawsuits, in the past, came from folks who worked at the asbestos plants for MANY years. Asbestos was also used as part of a spray on insulation to insulate ductwork in schools and other buildings. In those cases and the way the asbestos was used in the mixture, it constantly broke down and created asbestos dust (the dangerous stuff). The newer composite asbestos/portland cement/polymers roofing appears to be very strong, UV resistant and may serve your purpose better than putting a metal roofing that may possibly add too much Zinc to your rainwater. Check it out.

(This post was edited by Esteban on Apr 9, 2003, 7:06 AM)

esperanza

Apr 9, 2003, 8:00 AM

Post #4 of 5 (2408 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Esteban] Metal roofing

The lámina is also made of a clear plastic, in addition to the metal. Looks like your choices are many.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

Esteban

Apr 9, 2003, 8:37 AM

Post #5 of 5 (2405 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Metal roofing

That's correct, the choices are many and I'd like to add that you may want to filter the water, to a certain degree, because when it's not raining, the roof will accumulate a lot of debris from animal waste to vegetation.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4