Apr 7, 2003, 2:21 PM
Post #1 of 9
I have waited until I have used this system for a month before commenting.
It is the Vonage system whereby you connect directly to your high-speed internet access with an adapter and then plug your telephone directly into that.
No computer needed.
You are assigned a telephone number in your choice of area code of the USA.
When you pick up the phone, you get dial tone out of that location. When someone calls the number, it rings your phone in your home, even though they are calling to your area code and number.
You also receive a voice-mail answering system.
If you have a direct connection (DSL, Cable etc.)
Adapter about $80.00 USD
If you have wireless:
The adapter: about $80.00
A wireless access point: about $130.00 USD
A Router: range $120 to $300 USD (I chose a wireless router so that my home is also now wireless)
Total cost for wireless between $330 and $500.
The software set-up is not easy.
Monthly cost = $39.95
Thems are the basic facts.
How is it?
Great! There is a quality loss (wireless system) but not enough to be a deterrent. 90% of the time the connection is great. The other 10% - bad enough that I will call again later.
The major influence on the quality is time of day - bandwidth issues.
But here is the real pay-off.
For the $39.95, you receive unlimited LD in the US and Canada.
Calls into Mexico are between 50% to 75% less expensive than calling directly within Mexico (Shhhh)
For me, with LD charges of around $300.00 USD per month, I have amortized the capital outlay in one month.
I have no connection with the company.