Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Home, Garden & Construction in Mexico

Camille

Apr 6, 2003, 4:28 PM

Post #1 of 7 (3767 views)

Shortcut

Tinacos (water tanks)

Can't Post | Private Reply
The first of my million questions pertaining to house construction in Mexico, which I am about to enjoy firsthand, is about water tanks. I plan to harvest rainwater for irrigation purposes on a hill between Punta de Mita and Sayulita. Does anyone know a source for really big water storage tanks in that area? Has anyone built in that area? I am talking to a couple of contractors, and would love to get names of others. Also, any general advice or encouragement most welcome!

Camille

johanson

Apr 6, 2003, 5:09 PM

Post #2 of 7 (3761 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Camille] Tinacos (water tanks)

I am no expert here, but any large container of water is usually not a tinaco, but an underground container constructed out of brick and concrete is called an aljiba (spelling?) my largest is about 6 meters by 4 by 2.5. I have several others with about half of that capacity. None are tinacos. All are under ground.

(This post was edited by johanson on Apr 6, 2003, 8:36 PM)

Rolly

Apr 6, 2003, 5:55 PM

Post #3 of 7 (3758 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johanson] Tinacos (water tanks)

If you plan to store a large amount of water, a custom underground cistern (aljiba) is probably your best bet. The largest tinaco I have seen was about 3 meters in diameter and almost 3 meters high. It was big enough that I wondered how they got it into the store. Something of this size is not intended for home use -- perhaps industrial or farming. I saw the monster in a store in Torreón which is both an industrial and a farming area.

You might want to look/ask at a farming supply store.

Rolly Pirate

Camille

Apr 6, 2003, 6:17 PM

Post #4 of 7 (3755 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Tinacos (water tanks)

Now THAT'S the size I'm looking for! I just need to find it within delivery-distance of Puerto Vallarta... I'm about 30 miles north, up in the hills. Valle de Banderas would be the nearest ag area. I'll inquire there, just trying to source as many necessities before I get there! And all of Mexico should be harvesting rainwater... it is THE most valuable resource!

Thanks...

Camille

Esteban

Apr 7, 2003, 12:02 PM

Post #5 of 7 (3723 views)

Shortcut

Check out the following website for the most popular water storage tanks in Mexico. They are easy to clean, quick to install and easy to plumb.

http://www.rotoplas.com.mx/

Camille

Apr 7, 2003, 12:23 PM

Post #6 of 7 (3717 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Esteban] Tinacos (water tanks)

A thousand thanks, Esteban! Looks like I WILL be able to store all that wonderful, pure, FREE water!

Camille

Esteban

Apr 7, 2003, 12:42 PM

Post #7 of 7 (3713 views)

Shortcut

If you can afford the plastic tanks, and they aren't that expensive, they offer many advantages. First, they don't leak like concrete structures do. I've even seen an aljibe made with concrete and putting the plastic tank inside of it. The plastic tanks are easy to clean too. They don't weigh much and can therefore be rolled to almost anywhere you need to put it. Rainwater collection is an especially good idea in Mexico. The drought situation, all over MExico is becoming a big problem. Buena Suerte

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4