Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Jalisco's Lake Chapala Region

christy

Mar 21, 2003, 6:49 PM

Post #1 of 7 (2726 views)

Shortcut

ANY Schools in Chapala-Guadalajara Area???

Can't Post |
Hello,

I am new to the forum and recently posted a question about Catholic schools in the Guadalajara area and received no response. So, I would like to know if anyone has any information about ANY schools in the Chapala Guadalajara area. My husband and I are moving to the area with our two small children (from the US) over the summer and would like to find a good school for them. I will be attending the Universidad de Guadalajara myself. I know about Oak HIll school and that it is closing over the summer and I have found a few private schools in Guadalajara. Are there any other schools between Chapala and Guadalajara? Any Catholic schools? any public schools? I appreciate any information anyone might be able to offer. Thanks! -Christy

tonyburton

Mar 21, 2003, 8:16 PM

Post #2 of 7 (2717 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jcaa55] ANY Schools in Chapala-Guadalajara Area???

Can't Post | Private Reply
There are public primary schools and kinders in every community - Chapala, Ajijic, Jocotepec, etc.

There are inexpensive fee-paying primary schools run by nuns in Chapala and Jocotepec (Colegio Chapala and Colegio Jocotepec respectively). However, there are no "church" schools per se, since church and state are 2 very different things in Mexico (by law); the regulation of education is a state matter.

There are also several private kinder and/or primary schools in Ajijic (Vasconcelas and Roosevelt come immediately to mind).

esperanza

Mar 21, 2003, 8:29 PM

Post #3 of 7 (2710 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post | Private Reply
I think part of the problem in finding answers to your questions on the Living, Working, Retiring forum is the last word...retiring. Many of us who post on these boards are past the child-rearing age and our lives are not involved with the kinds of needs you have expressed.

You will find numerous Catholic private schools in Guadalajara, run by various religious orders. In addition, there are private Montessori schools (some with classes kindergarten through primary school), the American School in Colonia Providencia, and many bilingual (English/Spanish) schools ranging from kindergarten on up through preparatory level. There are more than 60 pages in the Guadalajara Yellow Pages devoted solely to schools and institutes of an academic nature. However, recommending any one is certainly beyond my scope of knowledge.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

Uncle Donnie

Mar 22, 2003, 10:55 AM

Post #4 of 7 (2686 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
Oak Hill School IS closing but a Guadalajara Reporter article in the latest (March 22-28) edition says that "The Jesuit-backed Instituto Technologico de Estudios Superiores de Occidente (ITESCO) has announced it will open its doors for Kindergarten through Grade 12 students on the former Oak Hill campus in August."

Jeanne Chaussee wrote the piece and reports that ITESO spent several weeks last winter conducting an in-depth study of all aspects of the school's operation and that Oak Hill received "shining marks." OHS Director Wayne Palfrey indicated that he believes both the OHS students as well as his own children "will be in good hands" when ITESO takes over.

The website for the newspaper is www.guadalajarareporter.com and the e-mail is reporter@megared.net.mx. and the OHS e-dress used to be oakhill@prodigy.com.mx if you want to try to contact Mr. Palfrey direct.

Good luck.

Shameless self-promotion:
http://www.headformexico.com

Uncle Donnie

Mar 22, 2003, 11:58 AM

Post #5 of 7 (2680 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tonyburton] ANY Schools in Chapala-Guadalajara Area???

Can't Post |
I just re-read Tony's answer so here's a bit more to add to my other post.

Roosevelt School advertises as a bilingual school for grades K-12. It's located on the carretera between Ajijic and San Juan Cosala. If you're planning to commute to Guad you could drop the kids at school and head on to Joco, then into Guad by the "back road".

Enrollment is from Mar. 1 to 31.

e-mail: marycgro@infosel.net.mx.

As for Guad itself, I get lost as soon as I approach the city limits but as esperanza noted, there are many, many schools there.

christy

Mar 22, 2003, 8:44 PM

Post #6 of 7 (2665 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Uncle Donnie] ANY Schools in Chapala-Guadalajara Area???

Can't Post |
Thank you all for your help! I really appreciate it. I'm checking out the other schools you have told me about. Although I can't seem to find a web site on Roosevelt. I emailed Oak Hill School in hopes of getting information on ITESO's new school they are opening. I am finding it is a little difficult doing all of this from the US. Hopefully we will be able to come down early enough in the summer so that we can chose a school and get the kids enrolled. I hope they are all open over the summer. I understand it is mainly a retirement community so there are not many people that know much about this subject but I appreciate any help offered.

Uncle Donnie

May 6, 2003, 7:29 PM

Post #7 of 7 (2631 views)

Shortcut

Re: [christy] ANY Schools in Chapala-Guadalajara Area???

Can't Post |
I'm trying to get this to the top of the forum to answer the question posted below. Let me see if it works.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4