Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Central Highlands

Baja Jeff

Mar 17, 2003, 12:59 PM

Post #1 of 11 (2731 views)

Shortcut

Rooms in Patzcuaro

Can't Post | Private Reply
I am flying to Morelia Wednesday and going straight to Patzcuaro. I still have no idea where I am going to stay.

Does anyone have any good suggestions? Prefer something cozy near the lake. Just my wife and I.

Estanislao

Mar 17, 2003, 1:54 PM

Post #2 of 11 (2707 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Baja Jeff] Rooms in Patzcuaro

El Centro is a fair hike from the Lake. I don't know of lodging at the Lake - I imagine it exists. I think you would wish you were in town. I have stayed at the Mansion Iturbe and at Rincon de Josefa - both at Plaza Quiroga - and I would recommend either. I have heard good things about Gran Hotel (Plaza Bocanegra) and Posada de Salud. Looked at the latter - nice and cheap.
--
"It is advisable to look from the tide pool to the stars and then back to the tide pool again."
John Steinbeck and Ed Ricketts - The Log From The Sea Of Cortez
--
Estanislao

Baja Jeff

Mar 17, 2003, 2:00 PM

Post #3 of 11 (2696 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Estanislao] Rooms in Patzcuaro

So, it sounds like it's a better idea to stay in town and take a day trip to the lake instead.

esperanza

Mar 17, 2003, 8:18 PM

Post #4 of 11 (2681 views)

Shortcut

You're right, Baja Jeff...and I second the recommendation for the Gran Hotel on the small plaza in Pátzcuaro. It's my favorite...small rooms, but attractive, quiet, clean, and not expensive. AND they have free locked parking. The restaurant on the first floor (and outside as well) of the Gran Hotel has the best breakfast in Pátzcuaro, and be sure to have a café con leche...delicious. I've been staying here for 20 years or more, and the hotel just keeps getting better.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

(This post was edited by esperanza on Mar 17, 2003, 10:05 PM)

jennifer rose

Mar 17, 2003, 8:35 PM

Post #5 of 11 (2688 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
Everyone's given you great suggestions. From the heart of downtown Patzcuaro, the lake is a 10-minute cab ride. Or about the same time by bus. You'll definitely want to be in the city center.

I'm partial to the Hotel Mansion Iturbe, although the other properties are fine. Unless the city's finished with the sewer line up by the Basilica (and the street was torn up 2 weeks ago), I'd recommend against the Posada de la Salud or the Posada la Basilica, just because of accessibility problems right now.

Other good choices in Patzcuaro which haven't been mentioned are:

Casa Brunson
La Casa Encantada
Los Escudos
Hostal del Valle (a small hotel, not a hostel!)

Another budget favorite of mine in Patzcuaro is Villa Patzcuaro, which is between the lake and the city center. It's quiet, clean, and the owners are delightful folks. The only hitch is that you would be somewhat isolated from the action.

If it's something cozy by the lake, let me recommend the cabanas in Zirahuen, about 30 minutes from Patzcuaro. If you opt to head over there, you will thank me for the recommendation! <g>

Baja Jeff

Mar 18, 2003, 7:07 AM

Post #6 of 11 (2671 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jennifer rose] Rooms in Patzcuaro

Thanks for the great information.

We are staying in Patzcuaro on Thursday night, heading by bus to Troncones on Friday, returning to Patzcuaro Tuesday until we fly home on Thursday. So I think we'll be staying in the plaza area the first night and may stay at the lake the last couple of days.

Baja Jeff

Apr 1, 2003, 3:56 PM

Post #7 of 11 (2615 views)

Shortcut

Patzcuaro Trip Report

Just returned from a great trip to Patzcuaro. We stayed at the Gran Hotel. The hotel and rooms were very clean. The rooms were small, but why would you want to hang out in your room while in Patzcuaro?

The town was beautiful, and the people were great! Can't wait for a return trip!

(This post was edited by Baja Jeff on Apr 1, 2003, 3:56 PM)

gurley

Apr 1, 2003, 4:09 PM

Post #8 of 11 (2611 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Baja Jeff] Patzcuaro Trip Report

Thanks for coming back to the forum to tell us that you had the great visit that you hoped for! I'd love to hear any details that you might want to share regarding what you especially enjoyed. My husband, Jim, and I will be going to "Colonial Mexico" in August - September. In travelling, I find some of the real enjoyment in the anticipation and research.

I'll look forward to you posting more, if you'd like!

Rose
God Bless the World - No Exceptions!

Estanislao

Apr 9, 2003, 7:26 AM

Post #9 of 11 (2580 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Baja Jeff] Patzcuaro Trip Report

Jeff,

Thanks for checking in. I too would be interested in hearing more of your Pátzcuaro experiences when you get a chance. I have to live vicariously through the Forums until I can get back to México!
--
"It is advisable to look from the tide pool to the stars and then back to the tide pool again."
John Steinbeck and Ed Ricketts - The Log From The Sea Of Cortez
--
Estanislao

gpk

Apr 20, 2003, 4:42 PM

Post #10 of 11 (2547 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jennifer rose] Rooms in Patzcuaro

How do I make contact in Zirahuen for reservations?

jennifer rose

Apr 20, 2003, 5:13 PM

Post #11 of 11 (2540 views)

Shortcut

Re: [gpk] Lodging in Zirahuen

Can't Post |

In Reply To
How do I make contact in Zirahuen for reservations?

Impulsora de Zirahuen http://proturmich.com.mx/HotelDetalles.asp?Id=7

I would also suggest Chalet Cerrito Colorado, which is described at http://www.mexonline.com/zirahuen.htm

(This post was edited by jennifer rose on Apr 20, 2003, 5:14 PM)

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4