Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

Agata

Feb 24, 2003, 7:15 PM

Post #1 of 4 (2306 views)

Shortcut

Tula or Taxco

Can't Post |
Very soon I am going to visit Mexico. I have one extra day, and I can't make up my mind - Tula or Taxco? Any suggestions?

Thanks

Agata

Pernel

Feb 24, 2003, 10:02 PM

Post #2 of 4 (2277 views)

Shortcut

Taxco

Can't Post |
I would say Taxco.... for sure.

Check it out here:
http://www.digthatcrazyfarout.com/

If you go on a Saturday, you can visit the monster Silver tianguis, just next to the bus station.

Pernel

sermextr

Feb 25, 2003, 9:11 AM

Post #3 of 4 (2262 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Pernel] Taxco

Can't Post |
As always, it depends.

You obviously have read the guidebooks so you know what there is to know about both.

Taxco is a cute little town, with steep, narrow streets. If you're not interested in silver, though, there's not much to see.

Tula is an under-appreciated archaeological site. Some of the sculptures (and not just the famous atlantean columns) are both impressive and unique.

Everyone's different, but my choice would be Tula. If your thing is shopping, go to Taxco.

Ed and Fran

Feb 25, 2003, 4:28 PM

Post #4 of 4 (2237 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sermextr] Taxco

Can't Post | Private Reply
I agree, it depends on what you are looking for.

As I recall from your earlier posts, you were looping back to Mexico City through Teotihuacan.

If your interest lies more with archaeological zones, then Tula is your place. It's only an hour or so from Mexico City. The site is definitely interesting, and a different culture/style from Teotihuacan. However since it is considerably smaller, it may seem a bit anticlimatic after seeing the enormous Teotihuacan zone the day before. The town itself isn't much of a tourist attraction (in my humble opinion). No offense intended towards the area.

Taxco is something totally different. It is, of course, the center of silver jewelry production/sales in Mexico. But in our opinion, even when you are not particularly interested in buying, the city itself is a visual delight. It's setting on the hillside, in the middle of the mountains, is pretty dramatic. There's enough to see to keep you busy for one day. Be sure to take the tour of the Cathedral. Now Taxco is about 2-1/2-3 hrs by bus from the Taxquena bus terminal, so you will spend a bit more time on the bus going/coming than to visit Tula.

Either one is doable in a day. You just need to decide what you want to see.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4