Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Jalisco's Lake Chapala Region

Mabel

Feb 20, 2003, 10:23 AM

Post #1 of 22 (3464 views)

Shortcut

Whatever Happened to Uncle Donnie (Don Adams)

Can't Post |
I haven't seen anything from Uncle Donnie for several months.

Is he posting under a different name now ?

Mabel

Mister.Bill

Feb 20, 2003, 11:35 AM

Post #2 of 22 (2685 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Mabel] Whatever Happened to Uncle Donnie (Don Adams)

Can't Post |
Uncle Donnie has been a very busy boy. He's just putting the finishing touches on his new book about relocating to Mexico. and battling a some personnal health issues at the sametime.

Let's all wish him luck, and buy his book when it's released.

Gary sculptari

Feb 20, 2003, 8:10 PM

Post #3 of 22 (2612 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Mister.Bill] Whatever Happened to Uncle Donnie (Don Adams)

Can't Post |
Now that will be so ironic - our noble warrior who has a knack for 'saying just the right thing, at the just the wrong time' (to quote a highly placed source) finally announcing his book to a pay for view forum, and therefore a very specific age and income bracket, a bracket which he has always seemed to find somewhat stifling.

I will buy the book.

Lets just hope he broadcasts its availability in wide directions. It will have to overpower my piano lessons.

Uncle Jack

Feb 21, 2003, 5:25 AM

Post #4 of 22 (2568 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Gary sculptari] Whatever Happened to Uncle Donnie (Don Adams)

Can't Post | Private Reply
Gary;

I'm sure what you mean about announcing his new book here on these forums. The book has been in the works for many months and certainly has been no secret.

http://www.headformexico.com/

UJ

Mabel

Feb 21, 2003, 5:29 AM

Post #5 of 22 (2536 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Mister.Bill] Whatever Happened to Uncle Donnie (Don Adams)

Can't Post |
No thanks. He started posting here about 4 years ago and completely changed the tone of the FORUM at that time with replies to people which were arrogant, condescending, and mean-spirited. Apparently the moderators had a talk with him because in the last year he has seemed to be a lot more polite. No matter, I don't bother reading his replies now. Kitty cats can't change their spots.

I have no need for another $30 book which will sit on the shelf for 30 years and be sold at a garage sale in 2033 for a quarter......

I just wondered what alias he was posting under now........

Mabel Hudson -- Durant , OK

Gary sculptari

Feb 21, 2003, 8:11 AM

Post #6 of 22 (2507 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |

In Reply To

I have no need for another $30 book which will sit on the shelf for 30 years and be sold at a garage sale in 2033 for a quarter.

How Come? A little bit too close to your own life story?

Mabel

Feb 21, 2003, 1:19 PM

Post #7 of 22 (2447 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Gary sculptari] Whatever Happened to Uncle Donnie (Don Adams)

Can't Post |
Mabel :
I have no need for another $30 book which will sit on the shelf for 30 years and be sold at a garage sale in 2033 for a quarter.

How Come? A little bit too close to your own life story?

Mabel: My life story isn't worth $30 either....... It would probably put everyone to sleep. ................... come to think of it, maybe I'd better write it .................. Nope...... I guess Uncle Donnie will corner that particular market segment first...

Our local city libraries (2) have thousands of books by real authors that I haven't read yet.... ... and I have no interest in reading some book put out by a vanity publishing house......... It would be like getting copies of The Watchtower, and being asked to PAY for them......

Besides, I started to read some of his stuff on Mexconnect................ thanks, but no thanks.....

Mabel Hudson, Durant Oklahoma mabelmapleleaf@yahoo.com

sparks

Feb 21, 2003, 7:15 PM

Post #8 of 22 (2419 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
Never met him but he offered to take me on a tour of Colima on my last trip. Lost track of him because of his trip to Texas for medical reasons (he did explain the situation). Sounded like an upright guy to me and maybe we'll meet sometime in this life or the next. From those cover fotos ... he's pretty cute too Wink

Frank Burton

Feb 21, 2003, 8:14 PM

Post #9 of 22 (2380 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Mabel] Uncle Donnie's Probably My All-time Favorite

Different strokes for different folks. Uncle Donnie has always been one of my favorites on this Forum--if I had to pick one person, he'd be the one. He's smart, witty, and not afraid to call a spade a spade. I especially enjoyed watching him bait Jimbo as deftly as an expert fly fisherman matching the hatch and netting a lunker, then releasing it to swim again.

Mabel, you and I will just have to disagree. And I don't have any need to call you names or put you down because we disagree.

I hear that Uncle Donnie is back in the Ajijic/Lake Chapala area after dealing with his health issues. Personally, I look forward to the day he returns to this Forum.

zapata Bob

Feb 21, 2003, 9:40 PM

Post #10 of 22 (2377 views)

Shortcut

Add my name to the list of Uncle Donnies supporters. I don't think anyone who posts here combined common sense with humor better than Donnie! Unfortunately some in the past several months have filled this forum with whats no more than stupidity,Donnies posts were well stated, showed common sense and were never-the-less humerous! I've lost his personel Email address but hope his ails continue to diminish! Also that we eventually start to see his posts again and I'm looking foreward to his book!

Uncle Jack

Feb 22, 2003, 6:30 AM

Post #11 of 22 (2368 views)

Shortcut

“The avocation of assessing the failures of better men can be turned into a comfortable livelihood, providing you back it up with a Ph.D.”

Nelson Algren (1909-1981)

pedro naco

Feb 22, 2003, 6:35 AM

Post #12 of 22 (2341 views)

Shortcut

Re: [zapata Bob] Whatever Happened to Uncle Donnie (Don Adams)

Can't Post |

zapata Bob

Feb 22, 2003, 8:16 AM

Post #13 of 22 (2330 views)

Shortcut

Re: [pedro] Whatever Happened to Uncle Donnie (Don Adams)

Re your quote re "common sense" You probably won't understand this, never-the-less; that's why it's appreciated so much. Especially by those who think!

pedro naco

Feb 22, 2003, 8:27 AM

Post #14 of 22 (2316 views)

Shortcut

Re: [zapata Bob] Whatever Happened to Uncle Donnie (Don Adams)

Can't Post |
very "trocken"-henkle

zapata Bob

Feb 22, 2003, 10:29 PM

Post #15 of 22 (2237 views)

Shortcut

A mi no me gusta que me digan que estoy secarse e brillante!

pedro naco

Feb 23, 2003, 9:39 AM

Post #16 of 22 (2203 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
mr. henckle,aka zapata bob -i have run your sentence by numerous spanish experts as well as trying to decipher it myself.

no one seems to think it makes any sense in response to my post or even standing alone for that matter!

someone even indicated the word"secarse" may not even be spanish.

in any event the german translation for your name"henkle" is handle which can only be "brillante"when polished .

so are you polished herr henckle.

esperanza

Feb 23, 2003, 10:51 AM

Post #17 of 22 (2173 views)

Shortcut

Post deleted by esperanza | Private Reply

arbon

Feb 23, 2003, 2:27 PM

Post #18 of 22 (2164 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Whatever Happened to Uncle Donnie (Don Adams)

Can't Post |
Esperanza,the coment that Pedro made ,is about "DRY" Humour.

Sadly lacking in America,(TOO Subtle)?

pedro naco

Feb 23, 2003, 3:10 PM

Post #19 of 22 (2144 views)

Shortcut

Re: [arbon] Whatever Happened to Uncle Donnie (Don Adams)

Can't Post |
well,arbon,i'm glad someone got it-but unfortunately the recipient didn't-seems he doesn't even know what his own name translates to in english and shamefully, perhaps is not even familiar with that rather inexpensive and "dry" german bubbly.

btw-my last name means "gardiner" in hungarian-that person that does all your yards so inexpensively in ajijic.

sparks

Feb 23, 2003, 6:11 PM

Post #20 of 22 (2116 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
I'm sorry I gave you the impression that Americans are so literal they often appear dull to almost stupid. Thats not counting the extra work required to translate the canadian. Guuuiiilty !! Wink

arbon

Feb 23, 2003, 7:23 PM

Post #21 of 22 (2100 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sparks] Whatever Happened to Uncle Donnie (Don Adams)

Can't Post |
"I'm sorry I gave you the impression that Americans are so literal, Thats not counting the extra work required to translate the canadian."

That's OK Scott,Pedro & myself type with one finger,to give you Yanks time.Wink

Talking of Uncle Donnie,He said once that there was a Laxative He used called "Peima ?
-Dos en Uno" when I told him that the other use for it was "Cleaning the Toilet" after taking it He questioned my sense of humour,(he did not cotton on)....

Uncle Donnie

Feb 25, 2003, 8:18 PM

Post #22 of 22 (2031 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
Arbon, surely your hatband is too tight and therefore affecting your memory. Then again, my memory often suffers without benefit of an excuse, but damned if I can ever remember not getting the point of a poop joke. As you know, those are definitely in my specialty area.

Cool look in your picture ID though. Are you guys at the beach now? I'm currently iced in up by Dallas after my chemo treatments last week but I'll be heading home in a few days as soon as it thaws out up here.

As for the kind concerns expressed by so many of you both on the fora (nod to jennifer j) and via private e-mail, I appreciate you all. Treatments have been relatively stress-free, no bad nausea, just a bit of transient weakness and dizziness, the loss of all my dark hair (the gray---excuse me, silver---stayed put), and a temporary weight loss that I overcame in short order. One more series over three days next month and I'm on my own to complete the healing process. Thanks for the good thoughts and healing energy.

I missed out on all the whining about the new pay as you go format but if I may be permitted one quick word (one---fat chance!) I think a lot of folks are failing to realize that this is not only the largest of the Mexico related websites, but also the most entertaining and useful. There's no other single source you can use to find as much info as David presents here.

If you go to the front page and start typing queries into the search engine provided you may be amazed at the variety and the extent of the offerings on this site.

Just my opinion. Thanks for your patience.

Love and kisses,

UD

Shameless self-promotion:
http://www.headformexico.com

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4