Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring

Tom

Nov 30, 1919, 12:00 AM

Post #1 of 6 (1065 views)

Shortcut

Car Talk

Can't Post |
The current price for a new VW Sedan is about 8k USD in Mexico. (this is what we used to call the old VW Beetle). I would like to hear people's opinion of the value and reliability of this vehicle.<p>Thanks,
Tom

GB

Post #2 of 6 (1062 views)

Shortcut

Car Talk

Can't Post |
For a long time the VW Sedan was about all that was available at the low end in the Mexican auto market. While it still is, to my knowledge, the absolute cheapest thing available, most of the other manufacturers are offering something that is better at only slightly higher prices. Nissan has a stripped down Tsuru, General Motors the Chevy Pop, and both of these have shown their reliability over several years under Mexican conditions. Newer entries are a little Ford based on the Korean Kia, I believe, and the Dodge Atos.<p>One good test of reliability would be to look at these as rental cars after they have, say, 50-60 Km on them. The various rental companies use various units and combinations for their cheapest rentals, and in Mexico they leave them in service for as long as possible. Although the treatment the car receive varies from rental to rental, over the long haul among a fleet of vehicles there will be general equalization of use. I would think that one could profitably spend an afternoon in a major Mexican airport talking to rental agency personnel to get some sense of durability, etc.<p>I own a 2001 Chevy Pickup (the truck version of the Chevy), and although it is the upgraded model, I can say from experience with it but also with rentals of the Pop and Sedan that the Chevy is a lot more comfortable, roomy, and handles much better that the VW Sedan. Face it, despite the romance of the VW Beetle, it is antiquated technically, noisy, uncomfortable, and does not handle well at highway speeds.<p>Good luck with your car purchase.

SM

Post #3 of 6 (1059 views)

Shortcut

Car Talk

Can't Post |
Might consider Chrysler mini van. Lots of them there (parts),
Buy cheap in US or Canada. Change transmision filter and fluid
regularly (easy DIY) and this vehicle can be very handy in
Mexico.

Lucy

Post #4 of 6 (1060 views)

Shortcut

Car Talk

Can't Post |
It is a great car.Wonderful mileage and reliable if you check the oil often. Can get it repaired anywhere. Lots of parts available.. You can learn to do repairs yourself..On the other side, it lacks power for the highway and no Air conditioning. Great for around town. Not great for the highway..I also understand they will stop making it soon. It may be better to purchase a small Ford, Chevy or Nissan with air. If you plan on traveling in Mexico, Air is necessary most of the year. the additional power of larger 4 cylinder engine will help. I would also suggest finding a used compace car in the states. lots available and you should find a good one with low miles for your $8,000. Good luck<p>
: The current price for a new VW Sedan is about 8k USD in Mexico. (this is what we used to call the old VW Beetle). I would like to hear people's opinion of the value and reliability of this vehicle.<p>: Thanks,
: Tom<p><p>

Robert

Post #5 of 6 (1060 views)

Shortcut

Car Talk

Can't Post |
I would love to say great things about the Beetle, but the reliability is suspect. I happen to know friends within the automobile industry here, and they say VW has run into a lot of manufacturing problems with this car. The value has not held up as a result. However, car choice is always one of personal taste, but I happen to think reliability is my highest priority.

Louis

Post #6 of 6 (1059 views)

Shortcut

Car Talk

Can't Post |
Does anyone know if I can purchase a new vw/sedan in Mexico and bring it into the U.S., or if I would have to buy this car through an importing and exporting company. If you have any answers please or somehow lead me in the right direction please write back at my e-mail. Thanks.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4