Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Home, Garden & Construction in Mexico

Rolly

Feb 13, 2003, 4:04 AM

Post #1 of 6 (3552 views)

Shortcut

A Victorian house in Mexico

Can't Post | Private Reply
Here is a Mexican version of a Victorian in Lerdo, Durango. I don't know its history. Its very poor condition is not evident in this picture. I sure do wish I had the pesos to buy it and restore it. I am told that it is owned and occupied by "an old lady."

It does not have the gingerbread that characterizes the Victorians I have seen in San Francisco. I guess elaborate gingerbreading would be hard to do with bricks.

Rolly Pirate

Jeannie

Feb 13, 2003, 5:04 AM

Post #2 of 6 (3453 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] A Victorian house in Mexico

That house looks very similar to one in Chapala. It would be interesting to know how the Victorian homes got started here.

Uncle Jack

Feb 13, 2003, 5:09 AM

Post #3 of 6 (3445 views)

Shortcut

Braniff House?

Jeannie;

Isn't that Braniff House now the Cazadores restuarant?

arbon

Feb 13, 2003, 9:31 AM

Post #4 of 6 (3421 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] A Victorian house in Mexico

Can't Post |
Thank's Rolly,

It seems that 100 years ago,what ever roof type was used the houses are still called "Victorian",today....I guess by the real estate people.

That one in your photo,I would call it "Victorian" as well,(with shade added for the climate)

Rolly

Feb 13, 2003, 4:14 PM

Post #5 of 6 (3410 views)

Shortcut

A Couple More

Here are two more old houses in Lerdo.

This house has a date on it - 1903. I wish I could get inside the fence to get a better picture of the stained glass wall on the back of the house.

I'm not sure this next one really qualifies as a Victorian.

This one is wood, stone and brick. Unusual for Lerdo.

There are two more of these old houses in town, but they are so overgrown that a picture shows even less than in this one.

Rolly Pirate

(This post was edited by Rolly on Feb 13, 2003, 4:16 PM)

Richard

Feb 13, 2003, 7:53 PM

Post #6 of 6 (3420 views)

Shortcut

Re: [arbon] Roofs

Can't Post |
Vicky's Queen Anne and 4 squares often share similar roof structure. In Mexico as here in the USA during those times , homes like these where built one at a time . Often there was a mixing of styles by choice or dictates of budget. In the Historic District where we live there are aprox. 42 homes (1870 to 1910) all built and deigned buy different Builders/Architects with no two alike .

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4