Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring

EMD

Nov 30, 1919, 12:00 AM

Post #1 of 13 (2508 views)

Shortcut

Car Importation Questions

Can't Post |
Greetings,<p>I am planning to drive to Laredo in early September to buy a car there and bring it back to Guadalajara. I renew my FM3 every year. Considering I am not originally from Texas, but rather NJ, will I have trouble getting the license plates before crossing the border? I will be there for just two days and wont be able to wait. Any advice?<p>Also, could anyone offer me advice about how to go about getting the car insured to drive it here? Any information you could provide would be of great help.<p>Lastly, I plan to renew my import permit for my car each year along with my FM3. Has anyone done this before? <p>Cheers and thanks<p>EMD

Robert

Post #2 of 13 (2506 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
As far as question 3, at least in Mexico City you can renew both at the same time, but you must go to separate places. At the Departamento de Immigracion, I was told I could only renew my vehicle importation permit at a Banjercito. You must get your FM3 renewed first, and then go to Banjercito. To speed up the FM3 renewal process, you should submit a copy of your vehicle importation permit. Sometimes that permit expires before the FM3, as in my case.<p>You will have problems with buying the car in Texas according to your facts. You need a valid Texas address to get Texas license plates and a title. You need only a registration OR title when you get your importation permit. I am not sure on the time involved. However, I have friends from Connecticut and Washington, D.C., and they were able to get their plates the same day and the titles the following day by using FEDEX. Connecticut changed this rule, and now you should be able to get it same day upon request.<p>As far as insurance you can get it on either side of the border. My personal experience found that Commercial Seguros America (they have an office within the Banjercito where you get your permit) had the best rates for extended periods of time in Mexico. I just used the same papers I used with getting the vehicle permit. By the way, Mexican insurance for the most part does not go by year and type of vehicle, but rather how much you wish to pay.<p>

Rolly

Post #3 of 13 (2506 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
: As far as question 3, at least in Mexico City you can renew both at the same time, but you must go to separate places. At the Departamento de Immigracion, I was told I could only renew my vehicle importation permit at a Banjercito. You must get your FM3 renewed first, and then go to Banjercito. To speed up the FM3 renewal process, you should submit a copy of your vehicle importation permit. Sometimes that permit expires before the FM3, as in my case.<p>Robert, what you describe is one of the bazaar Mexican bureaucratic traps. Your car permit does not have to be renewed; it is valid as long as your FM3 is valid. The date on the permit is meaningless. Nevertheless, as you have found, they are glad to take your money if you wish to renew the permit. I made that mistake my first year here – drove all the way to Laredo for nothing.<p>

Robert

Post #4 of 13 (2502 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
Maybe where you are, but I know of one person in my apartment building an Israeli, and a Canadian who thought it was the way you said, and they found out the hard way. I have asked my own legal department, and this is the way it works in Mexico City, it must be renewed every year.

Rolly

Post #5 of 13 (2502 views)

Shortcut

Jennifer Rose, would you like to join this discussion?

Can't Post |
: Maybe where you are, but I know of one person in my apartment building an Israeli, and a Canadian who thought it was the way you said, and they found out the hard way. I have asked my own legal department, and this is the way it works in Mexico City, it must be renewed every year.<p>

jennifer rose

Post #6 of 13 (2505 views)

Shortcut

jennifer rose, would you like to join this discussion?

Can't Post |
It's a matter of federal law.<p>Ley Aduanera Articulo 106 (IV)(a)
IV. Por el plazo que dure su calidad migratoria, incluyendo sus prórrogas, en los siguientes casos:<p>a) Las de vehículos propiedad de extranjeros que se internen al país con calidad de inmigrantes rentistas o de no inmigrantes, excepto tratándose de refugiados y asilados políticos, siempre que se trate de un solo vehículo.<p>Los vehículos que importen turistas y visitantes locales, incluso que no sean de su propiedad y se trate de un solo vehículo.<p>Los vehículos podrán ser conducidos en territorio nacional por el importador, su cónyuge, sus ascendientes, descendientes o hermanos, aun cuando éstos no sean extranjeros, por un extranjero que tenga alguna de las calidades migratorias a que se refiere este inciso, o por un nacional, siempre que en este último caso, viaje a bordo del mismo cualquiera de las personas autorizadas para conducir el vehículo y podrán efectuar entradas y salidas múltiples.<p>Los vehículos a que se refiere este inciso, deberán cumplir con los requisitos que señale el Reglamento.<p>The Instituto Nacional de Migracion has absolutely nothing to do with the importation of your car; asking them would be equivalent to asking the EPA for an extension of time to file a tax return with the IRS.<p>Texas will require that applicants for Texas motor vehicle registration supply a Texas address....and obtain a Texas driver's license. <p>Mexican car insurance is available from any number of vendors. My recommendation is Lewis & Lewis, http://www.mexicanautoinsurance.com<p>

Robert

Post #7 of 13 (2502 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
Rolly,<p>I have heard that particular piece of advice before regarding the permit. However, both of the people I mentioned found their credit cards charged for failure to renew. They appealed this with the facts you gave, but to no avail. Apparently, there is no internal communication between the banjercito and the department of immigration here that informs one if there FM3 and/or vehicle permit is valid.<p>Now it may be different for the rest of the country.

Jaime

Post #8 of 13 (2505 views)

Shortcut

Jennifer Rose, A clarification about C C chg Please

Can't Post |
: Rolly ____see below_____<p>: I have heard that particular piece of advice before regarding the permit. However, both of the people I mentioned found their credit cards charged for failure to renew. They appealed this with the facts you gave, but to no avail. Apparently, there is no internal communication between the banjercito and the department of immigration here that informs one if there FM3 and/or vehicle permit is valid.<p>: Now it may be different for the rest of the country.<p>What about your card being chg`d when the 180 day car permit expires even though it is legal as your FM3 has not expired?
THANKS

Robert

Post #9 of 13 (2503 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
That is exactly what happened to my two friends. The FM3 had an expiration/renewal date 6 days after their car permit's expiration/renewal date. And they were charged.

Archer

Post #10 of 13 (2501 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
How much exactly were they charged? <p>I've had my latest vehicle here for 4 years w/o being charged one peso. The vehicle before that was here for 7 years and again it wasn't a problem. Sounds like somebody may be yanking someone else's cahain.<p>: That is exactly what happened to my two friends. The FM3 had an expiration/renewal date 6 days after their car permit's expiration/renewal date. And they were charged.<p>

Robert

Post #11 of 13 (2503 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
I am not sure about the precise amount but it was somewhere in the neighborhood of $1500 on one vehicle and almost $2500 on the other. I think you may have gotten out of the computer loop if you have not renewed. However, for all the newbies to Mexico, best advice is renew, as they appear to be clamping down using the computer system.<p>
: How much exactly were they charged? <p>: I've had my latest vehicle here for 4 years w/o being charged one peso. The vehicle before that was here for 7 years and again it wasn't a problem. Sounds like somebody may be yanking someone else's cahain.<p>: : That is exactly what happened to my two friends. The FM3 had an expiration/renewal date 6 days after their car permit's expiration/renewal date. And they were charged.<p>

Don

Post #12 of 13 (2503 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
I live in the state of Jalisco and like Rolly, I just kept my FM-3 current and that kept my vehicles current. I have heard some posters from other states say they have to renew their vehicle permits every year. During the last amnesty program, I had my vehicles legalized. Nothing was said at that time about the vehicles not being registered every year. I even had a copy of all the paper work, plus the stickers from my vehicles taken to Mexico City and turned into the government. They then removed all information about my vehicles from their computers. Not if I bring in another American plated car, there will be no record of me previously bringing in another American car. I thought that having the cars legalized would automatically remove the vehicles from the computers, but I was wrong in that assumption.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ <p>
: Rolly,<p>: I have heard that particular piece of advice before regarding the permit. However, both of the people I mentioned found their credit cards charged for failure to renew. They appealed this with the facts you gave, but to no avail. Apparently, there is no internal communication between the banjercito and the department of immigration here that informs one if there FM3 and/or vehicle permit is valid.<p>: Now it may be different for the rest of the country.<p>

Rolly

Post #13 of 13 (2505 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
: Lastly, I plan to renew my import permit for my car each year along with my FM3. Has anyone done this before? <p>I'll take your 3rd question. Others can deal with 1 and 2.<p>You don't have to do anything about renewing the car permit. It is valid so long as your FM3 is valid. Automatically.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4