Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring

William

Nov 30, 1919, 12:00 AM

Post #1 of 5 (1307 views)

Shortcut

US car in Mexico for 1 year under FMT?

Can't Post |
I'm wondering if it is possible for me to bring my truck into Mexico for about a year? I know I can stay down there on two 180 day FMT's. I'll just have to make sure that I make a run to the border before the 1st one expires. I know that the vehicle permit is good as long as the FMT is. I can buy year long Mexican auto insurance for my truck. I'm not trying to live down there for a year without an FM3, I'm thinking about taking a year to travel around the country. When I cross into the US to renew my FMT after the 1st 180 days and cancel the temporary vehicle import permit can I just get a new when I get the 2nd FMT? Any help is appreciated.

Robert

Post #2 of 5 (1299 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
Should not be a problem, just as long as you cancel the first permit. However, FMTs can only run 180 days, and you must make a run to the border.<p>With FM3s, they do last a year for the permit, and I was able to renew my permit in Mexico City. I am not sure you can do that with an FMT anymore, but I do remember reading in a guidebook published in 1999 you could do that within Mexico, without having to go to the border. The process was that you had to go to the Secretaria de Hacienda (to get a new FMT) and then go to Banjercito to renew your temporary vehicle importation permit. You could do this just about anywhere according to the guidebook.

Rolly

Post #3 of 5 (1300 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
:When I cross into the US to renew my FMT after the 1st 180 days and cancel the temporary vehicle import permit can I just get a new when I get the 2nd FMT?<p>The rule says no. Your car has to stay out of the country for the next 180 days. But the word on the street is that the rule is rarely, if ever, enforced. <p>Good luck.<p>

Esteban

Post #4 of 5 (1298 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
: :When I cross into the US to renew my FMT after the 1st 180 days and cancel the temporary vehicle import permit can I just get a new when I get the 2nd FMT?<p>: The rule says no. Your car has to stay out of the country for the next 180 days. But the word on the street is that the rule is rarely, if ever, enforced. <p>What Rolly says, I believe to be true. However, things are changing rapidly in Mexico and you never know when the computer sytem will surprise you and recognize that your car has already been in the system for the allowed 180 days. We never used to turn in the car permits until just a few years ago. No one ever questioned. Then, BAM!, they kicked it up a notch and suddenly we were all in the computer database. For a while you could talk your way out of a jam but it's getting stricter and stricter. It's definitely not a given that you'll be able to get another temporary importation sticker. It's sort of a weird rule because you can sell your vehicle in the US and bring another one in, immediately, with no problem. <p>

William

Post #5 of 5 (1297 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
Thanks for the info guys. This is the same as I've heard before. I'll probably question it at the border just to see what they've got to say about it. If I can get it twice great, if not then I'll just have to make the most out of the 180 days.<p>
: What Rolly says, I believe to be true. However, things are changing rapidly in Mexico and you never know when the computer sytem will surprise you and recognize that your car has already been in the system for the allowed 180 days. We never used to turn in the car permits until just a few years ago. No one ever questioned. Then, BAM!, they kicked it up a notch and suddenly we were all in the computer database. For a while you could talk your way out of a jam but it's getting stricter and stricter. It's definitely not a given that you'll be able to get another temporary importation sticker. It's sort of a weird rule because you can sell your vehicle in the US and bring another one in, immediately, with no problem.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4