Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring

randy in arandas

Nov 30, 1919, 12:00 AM

Post #1 of 7 (1465 views)

Shortcut

Aguascalientes: First Impressions

Can't Post |
Hi Folks: I have been to AGS before a few times, as we have family living there and have been to the Feria Nacional de San Marcos two years running. However, we just got back from a few days of intensive searching for both a home and a warehouse. <p>Although the home we found was not in the area of the city we desired (we wanted north, to be closer to the business), we are very pleased. The home rents for $350 month, has four bedrooms, two bathrooms and a large garden area where I can indulge my green thumb. We thought this would be a great deal, as we need time to see if the business works out or not. The neighborhood is quiet and folks seem friendly.<p>AGS is a well planned, relaxed city of 700,000 or so. People from AGS (city and state) call themselves Hidrocalido(a)´s. The view of the mountains to the west is stunning, especially sunrise and sunset. AGS is a fairly prosperous area with an agricultural & manufacturing economic base, with many new arrivals from elsewhere in Mexico. There is a medium sized airport that has international connections, excellent hotels and restaurants.<p>Chilangos escaping Mexico DF have been moving here in, as they have everywhere in Mexico. Rents have gone up accordingly, and driving habits have considerably worsened. These reports are from long time residents of AGS; you can see it when you drive around, the Chilangos (placas de DF) drive absolutely insane, testing the patience of everyone around them to say the least!<p>One thing I liked compared to many Mexican cities like Guadalajara,for example, is the almost absolute lack of graffiti. The Police are held to higher standards, and will not hesitate to write a costly ticket for littering. The city is known as Mexico´s cleanest and safest city, and the pride Hidrocalido´s have for AGS is evident.<p>The pace is much more relaxed, but Hidrocalido´s rise very early compared to other cities, and finish the day earlier. There are a few malls, cinemas, Wal-Mart & Costco. Of course my teenage nieces & nephews complain about the lack of things to do, as they would anywhere! No English bookstores (a few english mags can be found at Sanborns) or Gringo infrastructure, which is fine by me. There are more Japanese here than any other immigrant population.<p>My nephews have explored the nearby Sierra Fria, and have offered to take me there for hiking and exploring.<p>Mennonites are a common sight at strategic street corners, as they come from their ´Campos´ in Zacatecas state to sell their excellent cheese & cookies to eager Mexican consumers.<p> I have never lived in a city this large before, but I am sure I will adjust. AGS is a pretty nice place all in all. Perhaps if the business works out well, we will build here someday in a nice Fraccionimiento or just outside of town. I would also enjoy a cabaña high in the pines of the Sierra Fria, but for now, it is work, work, work...<p>Saludos desde Arandas, Randy

Luisa

Post #2 of 7 (1454 views)

Shortcut

Questions

Can't Post |
Gracias for the report, but it seems to me you left out a couple of important considerations--climate and cultural life. Architecture might also be worth mentioning.

randy in arandas

Post #3 of 7 (1463 views)

Shortcut

Climate, Culture &amp; Architecture...

Can't Post |
Hi Luisa: Well, since we were on a mission in search of a home and a warehouse to rent, it never crossed my mind to ask if they have a symphony, ballet or opera in town ;-), but here is what I know about these topics:<p>1) Climate: The climactic conditions will definately be a step down, IMO, from where we live now in Arandas, JAL. This region, los Altos, has the true springlike weather year round that Guadalajara/Chapala can only dream about. AGS has more extremes weatherwise; that is, it is colder in the winter and hotter in the summer (actually spring). It can snow during the winter, and the temperatures routinely plunge. During the hot season, temperatures can reach 100 degrees easily. This time of year is the best (as it is in most of Mexico) weatherwise, with thunderstorms providing cooling rains, and night time cooling to where you may desire a jacket.<p>2) Culture: Coming from a rural background where we had no symphony, ballet or opera, these cultural amenities are just not on my list of must haves. That is not to say I do not appreciate these amenities, as I occasionally like to treat my wife to a concert or art display. But if these things are high on your priority list, then I suggest you look to Guanajuato, Mexico DF, Guadalajara or San Miguel de Allende. With five universities and 700,000 or so people, I am sure you can find a little bit of what you desire. The Feria Nacional de San Marcos has popular, big name entertainment (as large fairs in the USA do) with the likes of Paulina Rubio, Alejandro & Vicente Fernandez, OV7 or Thalia scheduled. Going to the Feria Nacional de San Marcos, walking through the livestock barns, catching a Charreada and seeing Alejandro Fernandez in concert...now that is my idea of a culural event!<p>3) Architecture: I presume you mean colonial architecture. AGS has preserved much of its centro historico, but it is no Queretaro or San Miguel de Allende by any stretch. Still, there are some interesting sights to see downtown, and there are some mysterious tunnels that were dug by a long vanished people which you can visit.<p>Hope this helps...Saludos desde Arandas, Randy

Luisa

Post #4 of 7 (1462 views)

Shortcut

I live in Guanajuato; I was just curious. (nmsg)

Can't Post |
xxx

Andy in Aguas

Post #5 of 7 (1463 views)

Shortcut

Need suggestions on sights to see in Guanajuato

Can't Post |
I live in Aguascalientes and will probably be going to Guanajuato every week to minister in the prison there. Can you give me good suggestions on what sights to see? I especially like mountain views.<p>Compared to where I just moved from, Aguascalientes has a very mild climate. (I just moved to Aguas from Monterrey.) Perhaps it might get up to 100 degrees, but, apparently, not very often. I have checked the weather on CNN for more than two years now at least several times a week, and the hottest temperature that I've seen recorded in all that time was 96 degrees. Right now, the highs are in the eighties and the lows are in the upper fifties or low sixties. It is not any hotter than when I was in Guanajuato last week. In the wintertime, it sometimes can get below freezing at night, but the daytime temperatures almost always go up to the sixties or seventies. This is much better than Monterrey weather!<p>Any suggestions you could give me on the best sights to see in Guanajuato would be greatly appreciated!

Liz

Post #6 of 7 (1455 views)

Shortcut

I'd suggest the ex-hacienda

Can't Post |
I think it is Ex Hacienda de someone de Barrera. It has beautiful gardens. Most of the tourists are gone now. The city has become more relaxed and peaceful. Unfortunately this is not so good for teh economics of the city. I like the cervates Museum. it is small but fun and has free admission. I enjoyed the Diego Rivera museum much more than I expected. I have never liked his murals but I really liked a lot of his other works. There is also a very nice exhibit there now from a modern abstract painter. The bus ride to the monument Del Christo rey goes through beautiful countryside and the monument has a great view. If you have a good car for Mexican dirt roads it is a great drive with cute small towns and churches on the way. We stopped to let the kids and dogs run in a filed and look at wild flowers.<p> Where is the prison here?

Andy in Aguas

Post #7 of 7 (1453 views)

Shortcut

The prison is south of town......

Can't Post |
....going to the bus station. However, at the glorieta close to the bus station, you have to stay to the left. On Monday, on one of the local buses (in Mexican Spanish, a local bus is called "un camión urbano"), we went to a fork in the road and took the right fork. The view of the mountains from the entrance to the prison is beautiful, too. I will be going back to the Guanajuato prison next Monday.<p>Thank for the information!<p>: I think it is Ex Hacienda de someone de Barrera. It has beautiful gardens. Most of the tourists are gone now. The city has become more relaxed and peaceful. Unfortunately this is not so good for teh economics of the city. I like the cervates Museum. it is small but fun and has free admission. I enjoyed the Diego Rivera museum much more than I expected. I have never liked his murals but I really liked a lot of his other works. There is also a very nice exhibit there now from a modern abstract painter. The bus ride to the monument Del Christo rey goes through beautiful countryside and the monument has a great view. If you have a good car for Mexican dirt roads it is a great drive with cute small towns and churches on the way. We stopped to let the kids and dogs run in a filed and look at wild flowers.<p>: Where is the prison here?<p>

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4