Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring

Janet and Vern

Nov 30, 1919, 12:00 AM

Post #1 of 3 (1150 views)

Shortcut

Personal belongings

Can't Post |
We are very interested in retiring to Mexico. Have read several books. Our question - Can we bring "hobby" items - ie. sewing machine, woodworking tools, etc when we move? We thought we would be able to get kitchen items, bedding, clothes, family pictures, etc. all into 1 pickup truck (with very good packing.) We have read on one website that we can only take $300.00 personal goods. Can someone help us with this? Jennifer Rose was recommended as a great source of info. Thanks.

Ernie Gorrie

Post #2 of 3 (1150 views)

Shortcut

US$300 Limit

Can't Post |
The US$300 limit is for tourists and nationals arriving by air. This amount and is in addition to the long list of items that are permitted and not considered when calculating the $300 (e.g. personal clothing, cameras, sporting equipment, etc.)<p>BTW, the limit if arriving by land is US$50 rather than US$300. I understand that this provision is to discourage cross border shopping (isn't NAFTA wonderful :). I haven't had problems arriving by land with more than US$300 worth of stuff that isn't on the list.<p>BTW, I have found it useful to indicate currency when posting in Mexico-interest areas. $300 could be understood as either 300 dollars or 300 pesos. Lots of times it may seem obvious what currency is being referenced, but I've been surprised sometimes. I've read messages in which I thought a person was looking for accommodation for US$1500/month and later realized they were thinking of N$1500/month.

Rolly

Post #3 of 3 (1150 views)

Shortcut

Personal belongings

Can't Post |
Yes, you can bring hobby items and all the other things you listed and more. And you can bring them free -- no $300 limit -- if you follow the rules. For a how-to on making the move, click below.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4