Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring

Jean

Nov 30, 1919, 12:00 AM

Post #1 of 4 (1326 views)

Shortcut

Star Choice

Can't Post |
Is anyone having reception problems with their Star Choice? Ours keeps cutting in an out during different times of the day.

bob in Ajijic

Post #2 of 4 (1325 views)

Shortcut

Star Choice

Can't Post |
: Is anyone having reception problems with their Star Choice? Ours keeps cutting in an out during different times of the day.<p>Hi Jean,<p>We've been using StarChoice for the last couple of years. No unusual problems lately. It is normal to ezperience "rain fade" during the rainy season when rain and even heavy cloud gets between your dish and the satellite ...which is roughly in line with the top of Mount Garcia across the lake.<p>Raid fade? Gee ...that's a euphemism if there ever was one. Right in the middle of West Wing it's BLAP and it's gone. One thing about digital, you've either got it or you haven't. Just some pixelation and it's gone. For anything from a few minutes to half and hour. One night we gave up after an hour. Thank gawd the rain is good for the lake.<p>They say we could help the situation by getting a bigger satellite dish ...ours is 30 or 36 inches. They say a five footer would mimimize the problem. Or we can wait a month or so more. <p>Anyway ...do you think this is what you're experiencing?<p> <p>

Jean

Post #3 of 4 (1321 views)

Shortcut

Star Choice

Can't Post |
No this is not what is happening to me. Mine keeps cutting in an out all day long. In a one minute time span it will cut out about 10 times. Then sometimes it will go for hours with no problem and then start again. Looks like I may need a new receiver...bummer :)<p>: : Is anyone having reception problems with their Star Choice? Ours keeps cutting in an out during different times of the day.<p>: Hi Jean,<p>: We've been using StarChoice for the last couple of years. No unusual problems lately. It is normal to ezperience "rain fade" during the rainy season when rain and even heavy cloud gets between your dish and the satellite ...which is roughly in line with the top of Mount Garcia across the lake.<p>: Raid fade? Gee ...that's a euphemism if there ever was one. Right in the middle of West Wing it's BLAP and it's gone. One thing about digital, you've either got it or you haven't. Just some pixelation and it's gone. For anything from a few minutes to half and hour. One night we gave up after an hour. Thank gawd the rain is good for the lake.<p>: They say we could help the situation by getting a bigger satellite dish ...ours is 30 or 36 inches. They say a five footer would mimimize the problem. Or we can wait a month or so more. <p>: Anyway ...do you think this is what you're experiencing?<p>: <p>

Bob in Ajijic

Post #4 of 4 (1320 views)

Shortcut

Star Choice

Can't Post |
: Mine keeps cutting in and out all day long. In a one minute time span it will cut out about 10 times. Then sometimes it will go for hours with no problem and then start again. <p>
Jean, I'm no electrical guru, I can't even figure out when I need to plug an appliance in, but from your description it really sounds like you may have a short somewhere. A loose connection. When our system was first installed it wouldn't operate consistantly ...expecially if there was a wind. Kept cutting in and out. <p>Turned out to be a loose connection up on the roof where the dish lives with all of its cables and splitters and LNB. Ed Linfoot ...the real guru... who put mine up for me, came back and messed around with wrenches and pliers and the like. Fixed it fine, he did. That was more than two years ago. Good luck.<p><p>

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4