Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Southern Mexico

Springer

Feb 9, 2003, 8:26 AM

Post #1 of 6 (1409 views)

Shortcut

Too hot in August?

Can't Post |
Hello- We're from the northeast US, and because it's the only time we can go on vacation, we're thinking about going to the Akumal/Playa de Carmen area in the last two weeks of August this year. Can we expect the weather to be so hot and humid that we'll be too uncomfortable to have fun? And is it hurricane season then?

Thanks for any candid responses. Springer

Harry

Feb 10, 2003, 4:27 PM

Post #2 of 6 (1289 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Springer] Too hot in August?

Can't Post |
"Hot" is a highly subjective adjective. Both places you mention are beach locations, so presumably you want it to be warm, otherwise you might head for Newfoundland. If beach activities are really your goal, August is a good time to go. You will discover a dozen ways to forget the heat each day. I might put on your guard about reservations. August is not really low season. There is considerable competition for accommodations from Mexicans who take their vacations in July and August.

August is a bit early for any hurricane threat.

Springer

Feb 10, 2003, 4:51 PM

Post #3 of 6 (1266 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Harry] Too hot in August?

Can't Post |
Thanks for the help, Harry. Indeed we do want it to be warm and beachy in Mexico. It's hot pretty much everywhere in August, even in Newfoundland, on occasion. The tip about August not being low season was a bonus. Hadn't thought about that. We'll start looking for places to stay.

Springer

gino

Feb 10, 2003, 9:50 PM

Post #4 of 6 (1245 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Springer] Too hot in August?

Can't Post |
Springer,
I think the following website will be very helpful for you to plan the perfect vacation: http://www.cozumelmycozumel.com Read the forums, it's another great site!
Oh, and avoid Cancun if you can.... very Americanized and too expensive.

Springer

Feb 11, 2003, 5:32 AM

Post #5 of 6 (1254 views)

Shortcut

Re: [gino] Too hot in August?

Can't Post |
Thanks, Gino.

Since you raised the point about avoiding over-built and overly American places, which is what we really want to do, can you suggest a way to balance our one-week Mexican experience? Along with Cozumel, which seems to be, from the website you sent me to a less frantic spot certainly Cancun, we have been looking into what we hope are even less touristy towns like Akumal and Tulum. But we are also curious about the larger and more sedate cultural center of Merida too. And of course, seeing some ruins as well.

Assuming we fly in and out of Cancun, which we will get out of as quickly as possible, do you think it would be possible to do all of the above in a week without being overwhelmed? Should we just choose one-beach town and ruins at Tulum, or Merida and Chichen-Itza and settle in? I know that the answer will be purely subjective. It's hard to get a sense of how much time would be lost just getting from place to place.

Thanks for any suggestions you can offer.

Springer

Uncle Jack

Feb 11, 2003, 6:08 AM

Post #6 of 6 (1242 views)

Shortcut

Americanized?

Can't Post | Private Reply
"Oh, and avoid Cancun if you can.... very Americanized and too expensive."

Damn.....I could have sworn that I saw a lot of Canadians there too!

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4