Forums  > Areas > Jalisco's Lake Chapala Region
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

joshjay

Feb 3, 2003, 7:21 AM

Post #1 of 45 (10645 views)

Shortcut

What is there to do???

Can't Post |
I havent bought a house and am considering moving down in the late spring and knowing what there is to do would be helpful. Maybe its just common sense. If you love animals, it appears that there is a lovely woman who devotes her life to taking in stray cats and dogs - she could use some help Im sure. If you like kids, I imagine there is an orphanage nearby that needs volunteers. If you like sitting and watching people, I imagine there is a bench or two to do that. I guess its like any other place, you find what you want. I'd like to fly down but right now the cost of a roundtrip ticket from Florida is $500 - 600 which seems excessive to me. Just waiting for a price break.

zapata Bob

Feb 3, 2003, 8:31 PM

Post #2 of 45 (9333 views)

Shortcut

Re: [joshjay] What is there to do???

Can't Post | Private Reply
Keep your eye on the airfares, they make little sense! I happened to go by a trev. agnt's in San Antonio today. Fare to Dallas, about $495., from Chicago abot $295! What kind of sense does that make?

PeggyS

Feb 4, 2003, 1:03 AM

Post #3 of 45 (9286 views)

Shortcut

Have you thought about the ferrry from Tampa? Worth looking into and the price is right. Then you have your first class buses in Mexico, very comfortable, to go anywhere you want to be. Your trip through the Yucatan will be unforgettable......anyway, check this out.

lucy

Feb 4, 2003, 4:06 AM

Post #4 of 45 (9254 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
What do you do now? What would you like to do? What ever you want is there, like anywhere else. All you have to do is look. I'm sure you have spent some time there if you already own a house there.

I have also seen some people that wait for something to attract their attention. They sit on the porch and wait. Nothing ever happens. Create an agenda...

dzn

Feb 4, 2003, 1:36 PM

Post #5 of 45 (9143 views)

Shortcut

Re: [lucy] What is there to do???

Can't Post |
Weight for a rainbow ? ...

Georgia

Feb 4, 2003, 5:05 PM

Post #6 of 45 (9132 views)

Shortcut

Try airfare.com. I just got rountrip tickets for $300 less than I could anywhere else. Very happy with them. Their service is a little weird, but the ticket arrived and the price was right.

Ed

Feb 4, 2003, 6:23 PM

Post #7 of 45 (9111 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
Joshjay,what to do in lakeside just ask jeanie,i think her bottle has been rubbed a little to much.

DISH2000

Feb 5, 2003, 10:54 AM

Post #8 of 45 (9061 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
Your are right, Jay.

There is nothing to do here, at least what some people think. If you think that all your troubles are going to disappear when you get here, usally it´s for the worst. Drug addicts can get their drugs cheap and easy. Liquour is very cheap as well. If you are a sex maniac, They are servial local Whore houses in the area, But this is the sadness of many, many expats who live here. Even I am American by birth. I have been here more that 35 years, more than anyone else who has been on this site. I was just interview with a docomentury about Americans/Canadians living here for along time. They did not want the snowbird/Sundbird/transplant gringos that have been here that are hidding or escaping their personal problems from NORTH. Many are here for the cheap cost of living, high taxes, or climate of they formal country. A quite a few of Americans and and just as many Canadian, more so in % wise for a country that only has 10% of the population of the U.S.

What I am trying to say that everyday people like you, sell their homes in Hicksville, US or whereever, selling the hardware store, kissing the kides/Grandkides good bye, with a copy of "How to live in Mexico for $5 dollars a day" issue 1982 in hand and move to a country they neither speak the language, know the customs, or tradicions of Mexico. And they complain about the illegals in their country...heheh. Buying/renting a house for about 3 times the amout anywhere else inside the country. Food in the stores are very expensive, more so than Guad. and prices are keep going up........

The very sad thing is once they have settled, The wife misses the kides. Crying, wants to go back, He wants to stay. Why??? Why at a older stage of life you want to change the way that you are use to......WHY????

The interest rates, which many retires live on, have dropped, unless you are wealthy other than a monthly check that you get. Many work ILLEGALLY, which I am 100% against. If they can not afford to live here. ...Go back to you old country and get help.

If you can overcome the things I said, Go ahead. Take the risk. Do not exploit the Mexicans, help them, feed them, educate them, clothe them, what little time in life you may have, and find peace. They people will love you and you will no be the ugly gringo in the group that start rumors at the local Donut shop.

Even Adam and Eve got bored in Eden...........

DISH2000

Jeannie

Feb 5, 2003, 1:50 PM

Post #9 of 45 (9002 views)

Shortcut

Re: [DISH2000] What is there to do???

Wow!! And people thought my comments were harsh.

pedro naco

Feb 5, 2003, 4:14 PM

Post #10 of 45 (8956 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
read your post carefully dish2000,you sound very much like the people you just ranted against-i suggest you not paint us all with the same brush-if i for one minute thought that all mexicans were like you(and i base my observation singularily on your post) i would not have anything to do with them -but fortunately that is not the case and in my declining years i will not spend my hard earned $ on feeding ,clothing etc. etc. a bunch of strangers-but i will interact and try and improve their skills for self-help.

you can GIVE a man a fish-but if you teach a man to fish.......

btw-there are quite a few mexicans living in edmonton canada-the northern most major city in north america-those people had courage and i don't know anyone who told them to go back to villageville mexico.

see your priest and ask him to help chip away the stone surrounding your hardened heart or is it your brain that has atrophied.

there is nothing worse than prejudice-it's a learned and cherished ignorance.

(This post was edited by pedro on Feb 5, 2003, 4:21 PM)

LJ

Feb 5, 2003, 4:55 PM

Post #11 of 45 (8927 views)

Shortcut

Re: [pedro] What is there to do???

Can't Post |
Edmonton, major city, ha ha ha ha ha. Sorry Pedro, you know I couldn't resist. All in good fun.

(If one removes The Edmonton mall from the equation would it still have that designation?)

pedro naco

Feb 5, 2003, 6:33 PM

Post #12 of 45 (8886 views)

Shortcut

Re: [LJ] What is there to do???

Can't Post |
c,mon lj-let's not get the moderators mad at us for getting off topic and chatting about the wonders of dear old edmonchuk.

btw-if we got rid of all those auslanders that frequent the mall you're probably right ,we would loose the city designation because the population would drop from 850,000 to 85-that would make it a village-SNORK!

juan david

Feb 5, 2003, 6:43 PM

Post #13 of 45 (8865 views)

Shortcut

geez, I read dish's post a couple of times. Could be a grinch, but I'm not so sure. Could be an old guy (I'm workin on it) just speakin' his mind. Hey DISH, wanna add any comments?
" let sleeping dogs lie"

LJ

Feb 5, 2003, 6:47 PM

Post #14 of 45 (8857 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
oops, sorry. I have not regained control with my more sensical personality and have duly chastised the other ... hee hee. My apologies. (btw, Toledo has almost the same population ... blah ha ha aha ha ha ha ... oops, bet someone out there considers toledo a major city, too, hee hee.)

Please excuse the previous interruption. Those involved have been fired. You will now return to your scheduled program.

pedro naco

Feb 5, 2003, 6:51 PM

Post #15 of 45 (8851 views)

Shortcut

Re: [LJ] What is there to do???

Can't Post |
ho ha-wat yu smokin there lj

JR Cortesi

Feb 5, 2003, 9:34 PM

Post #16 of 45 (8854 views)

Shortcut

Re: Hey Dish2000, May I suggest Metamucil and Electroshock Therapy?

Can't Post |
Either way, your brain will get the effects, no matter where it is located. You sound a lot like one of the multiple personalities of Jeannie!!

DISH2000

Feb 9, 2003, 9:23 PM

Post #17 of 45 (8741 views)

Shortcut

Re: [JR Cortesi] Hey Dish2000, May I suggest Metamucil and Electroshock Therapy?

Can't Post |
Maybe you think that I am harsh, But to most of us oldtimers, you are just a bad example of the Ugly Gringo. Do you care about this country?? Do you have any Mexican friends?? ¿¿Hablas Español?? I am speaking my mind, and you might not like what I have to say. I just hate to see how some of these Gringos treat the people here in the village. Go home!! Besides, The cost of living is cheaper in Belize and they speak English there.........DISH2000

(This post was edited by DISH2000 on Feb 9, 2003, 9:35 PM)

DISH2000

Feb 9, 2003, 9:31 PM

Post #18 of 45 (8721 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
Peter,

This was just what I had on my mind when I seen the comment. Most Gringos here are very good and quite nice. I just makes me mad to see these trailer trash people who do not have better to do than to exploit the poor, hard working class here in Ajijic. Maybe life is different for you in the frozen North. But seen these people making arses out of them selfs, Makes me sick. I did not mean to offend anyone or person. Again, I was just saying what was on my mind.

DISH2000

skwala

Feb 10, 2003, 12:17 AM

Post #19 of 45 (8753 views)

Shortcut

I applaud your attitude and lifestyle of blending with Mexican culture, guiding Ugly Americans back in the land they must truly long for.

(I wonder whether the original correspondent might have been a bit facetious with his question.) In any event, we found many things to do in Mex. We totally agree with you, DISH 2000. If they are bored and homesick for johnny-on-the-spot employees, just as back in the good ol' USA/Canada, then they need to return PRONTO to their old digs up north. We haven't moved down yet because of some financial reversals which need to stabilize. I'm also working on building fluency in speaking and reading español so I won't take so long to blend a bit more readily...I respect the people of mexico too much to expect them to conform to my language any longer than es necessario. ¡Gracias!

robert kimball123

Feb 10, 2003, 7:33 AM

Post #20 of 45 (8707 views)

Shortcut

Re: [skwala] What is there to do???

Can't Post |
A person who sneered at non-English speaking Mexican residents of the U.S. in the way some of you are sneering at non-Spanish speaking residents of Mexico might be called a racist.

DISH2000

Feb 10, 2003, 10:05 PM

Post #21 of 45 (8674 views)

Shortcut

Re: [skwala] What is there to do???

Can't Post |
Kudos!! And Thanks, I am glad to see at least someone educated out there can see where I am coming from. My fears that most people on this site were not very agreeable. To become part of a culture, Mexican, one must become part of that culture. I am glad to see that you are studying Español. Not trying to change the people in speaking English. I wish others would take a good example of your dedication like yours. ¡Bueña Suerte!

DISH2000

Quote from the movie, The Professionals, (1966)

Bandito; Hey Gringo, Why do you come to Mexico??

Lee Marvin; I tell you, But do not laugh.....

Bandito; (Holding a knife to his neck) WHY DO YOU COME TO MEXICO, GRINGO??

Lee Marvin; I come for two things, the women and the Tequila!!

THINGS DO NOT CHANGE!!!!

DISH2000

Feb 10, 2003, 10:20 PM

Post #22 of 45 (8636 views)

Shortcut

Re: [robert kimball123] What is there to do???

Can't Post |
I am forced to see that you are responding how a American would see this.... This is not a racial slur or comment. The way a Mexican would say in español into English. If you do not like where you are, you can alway go back where youare from, or the American saying, When in Rome, do what the Romans do... Mexicans do not see this as why are you different?? Not us. You can adapt or go back. The American see this as, We do not care where you come from, us act or do the things how we do it. This is very diffucult to explain this in words. As many years that I have been here, I know they have accepted me and tell me things that no other foreigner would hear. They say, stupid gringo this and that, reminding them that I am still a gringo, They also remind me as well that I am not a GRINGO!!! American yes, GRINGO NO!!!

DISH2000

Taz

Feb 11, 2003, 4:33 AM

Post #23 of 45 (8641 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
Why do Canadians wear Canadian flag pins on their clothing... Is it because they don't want to thought of as Americans ??

pedro naco

Feb 11, 2003, 5:03 AM

Post #24 of 45 (8614 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Taz] What is there to do???

Can't Post |
i don't wear the flag pin but i always carry my hockey stick and a puck in my pocket

edna

Feb 11, 2003, 7:22 AM

Post #25 of 45 (8600 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
"i always carry my hockey stick and a puck in my pocket"

I thought you were pleased to see Me or the "scenery"

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4