Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Gulf of Mexico

Agata

Jan 31, 2003, 11:41 AM

Post #1 of 2 (4137 views)

Shortcut

Veracruz - El Tajin - Mexico City

Can't Post |
I am planning car trip from Veracruz to El Tajin, from El Tajin to Huasca (canion Primas Basalticos), from Huasca to Teotihuacan, and from Teotihuacan to Mexico City.

Does somebody know what are the road conditions?

Are there any highways (and tolls, There is for sure one from Veracruz to El Tahin)?

Are two days for that kind of trip enough?

Am I gonne find any motels or hotels on my way? Night probably will start somewhere between Huauchinango - Tulancingo - Pachuca.

May be somebody could recomend some more interesting places to see on that way?

Thank you!

Agata

Ed and Fran

Feb 3, 2003, 5:56 PM

Post #2 of 2 (4102 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Agata] Veracruz - El Tajin - Mexico City

Can't Post | Private Reply
Okay, since no one has chimed in over the past couple of days I'll take a shot at at least some of this.

"I am planning car trip from Veracruz to El Tajin, from El Tajin to Huasca (canion Primas Basalticos), from Huasca to Teotihuacan, and from Teotihuacan to Mexico City. Does somebody know what are the road conditions? Are there any highways (and tolls, There is for sure one from Veracruz to El Tahin)? "

If you'll forgive me for having no idea where Huasca is, the highway you refer to stops a few miles north of Veracruz, right after passing the toll plaza at Antigua. That's the last 'highway' you'll see until near Tulancingo. Antigua - Tajin (Papantla) - Huachinango is all two lane. Last I traveled it the road was in decent condition. The new Autopista is still under construction between Tulancingo and Huachinango. Part is open, I'm not sure how much.

Are two days for that kind of trip enough?
In my humble opinion, only if you don't stop to see anything at either Tajin or Teotihuacan (just kidding). I'd put driving times at Veracruz-Tajin +/- 3-1/2 hrs (your speed and mileage may vary), Tajin-Teotihuacan +/- 4-1/2 hrs. I have no idea how far off line Huasca takes you.

You could do Tajin one day, stopping at Huachinango as you suggest, with about a 4 hr stop in Tajin. I personally don't like going up the mountain from Poza Rica to Huachinango after dark, although I've done it.

Then on to Teotihuacan the next day with about the same stop time, then driving on to Mexico City (+/- 1 hour, depending on traffic).

Am I gonne find any motels or hotels on my way? Night probably will start somewhere between Huauchinango - Tulancingo - Pachuca.

Couple of hotels in Huachinango. We've stopped several times at the "Forest" hotel, left side of the highway, overlooking the Necaxa (I think) resevoir. Before reaching there, there are a couple of places in Xicotepec de Juarez.

May be somebody could recomend some more interesting places to see on that way?

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4