Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

flambe

Jan 25, 2003, 7:01 PM

Post #26 of 59 (2798 views)

Shortcut

Re: [flambe] what kind of confrontation are you seeking ?

Can't Post |
BTW, does anyone else make copies of these threads before they "dissappear?" I like to keep a record of various threads for awhile so that I no I'm not making any mistakes or bad assumptions...LOL

johnr

Jan 25, 2003, 9:23 PM

Post #27 of 59 (2777 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Alteño] Mexican Humor..A New Forum?

Can't Post |
I agree. Thanks for the point about Argentina. It's one of those usages that is simultaneously funny and offensive, depending on how you take it. That's a pretty common combination, but an awfully dangerous one for a politician to maneuver. The use of "viejo" and "vieja" is awfully common in an affectionate sense among defequenses (as my norteno boss sometimes refers to them), but like the F-word or even the Ch-word, the context is all-important.

In the case in question, you could see that Diego had a fun idea and lept at it before fully considering the context.

Perils of politics.

My wife calls her mother "gorda." I do NOT call my wife "gorda." Nor even "gordita."

"Vieja" might get you an affectionate hug and a kiss, or, from the same woman, it might get you a frying pan upside the head. In fact, reference to a frying pan might get you a frying pan upside the head.

Mereja

Jan 26, 2003, 6:06 PM

Post #28 of 59 (2754 views)

Shortcut

Re: [flambe] what kind of confrontation are you seeking ?

Can't Post |
I thought I should explain the glue gun thing. See this link to this post.

http://www.mexconnect.com/...;;page=unread#unread

That is why I said something about a glue gun. I really am not a violent person.

(This post was edited by Mereja on Jan 26, 2003, 7:03 PM)

The Old Gringo

Jan 27, 2003, 9:02 PM

Post #29 of 59 (2725 views)

Shortcut

Re: [arbon] Mexican Humor..A New Forum?

Can't Post |
So this gringo is talking to his buddy:

I'm moving to Mexico.

Really, why?

Man, he says, they LOVE us down there.

They do?

You bet!! When you go into a bar you can't even pay for a drink. Everybody wants to buy you a drink.

Wow, no kidding!

And there's more. You can have all the sex you want. Every night if you want it. No problem. Free. They just come up to you and offer themselves to you.

They LOVE us.

Is that right? Wow, I can see why you want to go. So you're saying this happened to you, Mexicans buying you drinks everywhere and having nonstop sex?

Well, not exactly, but it happened to my sister in Cancun.

TOG

The above post was a work of fiction. Any resemblance to any persons or places is purely coincidental. ;-)

alex .

Jan 28, 2003, 7:43 AM

Post #30 of 59 (2694 views)

Shortcut

Re: [flambe] yea, we keep copies

Can't Post | Private Reply
I have one around here somewhere about a bi-cultural, liberated woman, hanging out in bars, waiting for an ex-con to come along and sweep her off her feet. Shall I see if I can find it?
Alex

(This post was edited by alex sometimes in TJ on Jan 28, 2003, 7:47 AM)

Mereja

Jan 28, 2003, 8:00 AM

Post #31 of 59 (2711 views)

Shortcut

Re: [The Old Gringo] Mexican Humor..A New Forum?

Can't Post |
Alex and Old Gringo,

That's right, just go to Mexico and you will be raped, torchered and robbed of anything that is of value. It doesn't happen here in the good old USA. Now, what did you guys say you are doing there in Mexico?

alex .

Jan 28, 2003, 8:13 AM

Post #32 of 59 (2705 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Mereja] rape and torture?

I missed that thread altogether !! What happened to rape and torture thread, or is that a new specialty forum?

Robbed of things that have value? Not so, everything that has been stolen from me over a period of 3 years (by someone not a relative) had nearly ZERO value :
a bag of trash,
an old sink,
a 1983 Nissan,
a used car dolly,
a thermos of coffee and some stale fig newtons (broke out the car window to get it).

Alex

(This post was edited by alex sometimes in TJ on Jan 28, 2003, 8:17 AM)

The Old Gringo

Jan 28, 2003, 9:15 AM

Post #33 of 59 (2688 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Mereja] Mexican Humor..A New Forum?

Can't Post |
Mereja,

I would cheerfully reply to your post if I understood it and/or what it has to do with me.

Rape, robbery and torture? Why heck, it's been years since . . .

TOG

lin robinson

Jan 28, 2003, 12:08 PM

Post #34 of 59 (2681 views)

Shortcut

Lose those goggles...

Can't Post |
...that make you read innocent jokes as some sort of stock FemNazi boilerplate.
By the way, I originally heard the joke as a Mexican telling another about what happened to his sister in New York.

tony ferrell

Jan 28, 2003, 3:32 PM

Post #35 of 59 (2668 views)

Shortcut

Here is the Mexican Fat Guy joke....

Can't Post |
Women talking about her husband:

"My Husband used to be Galan (handsome) now he is a Galon (gallon, fat).

Tomás

Jan 30, 2003, 8:18 PM

Post #36 of 59 (2593 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
The NBA recruited two new basketball players from the Mexican national team. They were very good players, but were often confused because they both were named Juan. Daily you could watch them at practice playing juan-on-juan!

morenasa

Feb 2, 2003, 2:21 PM

Post #37 of 59 (2560 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Tomás] Mexican Humor..A New Forum?

Can't Post |
This isn't a joke, but a funny thing that happened to me.
I was served a breakfast of blood sausage and pork rinds soaked in salsa at my new best friend Mago's house. I eyed the concoction suspiciously, I could not tell exactly what it was or even what it was made of. New to Mexico and my Spanish not being so good, I nudged Mago and asked her "que es esto" (what is this). she replied with a smirk and said "despues te digo" ( I'll tell you later) I knew that whenever she said that, I was going to be the subject of hearty laughter later. so I decided to be the first to laugh. The blood sausage looked a lot like a male organ and I thought it might be the organ of some animal. So I nudged her again and said "a quien mataron", (who did you kill?). Her 72 year old mother overheard us and asked "como es que ustedes SEÑORITAS saben de ESO" (How do you young women know about that?) Mago replied, " Tenemos que estudiarlo en la clase de anatomia, para que cuando tenemos la luna de miel, no lo cortamos y serivlo para el desayuno" (we have to study that in anatomy class so that when the honey-moon comes we don't chop it off and serve it for breakfast). The mom was nearly doubled over with laughter.
Mago is still my best friend, her mom died, but we celebrate her every dia de los muertos and have a laugh with that story. I still wont eat blood sausage or chicharones en salsa.

sparks

Feb 2, 2003, 2:31 PM

Post #38 of 59 (2561 views)

Shortcut

Re: [morenasa] Mexican Humor..A New Forum?

Can't Post |
Good one ... men 'could be' good for something, eh Wink

I eat fruit for breakfast myself!

Mabel

Feb 10, 2003, 10:40 AM

Post #39 of 59 (2536 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
I remember one time after I had been studying Spanish for about a year, I decided to treat myself at a local Mexican buffet in north Texas. But, I figured I was far enough along that I could depart from the "dos tacos" and "tres enchiladas" and actually have a bit of repartee with the Mexicans who were doing the serving....

When it came my turn, I said, confidently :

" Tengo hombre, puedo comer un cabello "!!!!

To which the server replied " Lo siento, senora. No tengo cabello o caballo", .... grinning very broadly.....

I had no choice but to reply : "Dos tacos, por favor"!!!!

So much for idiomatic expressions......

Tengo hambre --- I'm hungry

Tengo hombre -- I have a man

Puedo comer un caballo -- I can eat a horse

Puedo comer un cabello --- I can eat hair...

........... (or did I mess it up again ???) :>))))

The thing I like most about Mexicans is the sense of humor they show when you are obviously doing your best .......... After Quebec, it is a welcome change...

Mabel from Durant

wendy devlin

Feb 10, 2003, 10:52 AM

Post #40 of 59 (2540 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Mabel] casado vs cansado

Oh Mabel...that's one's too funny...my side hurts from laughing.

I'm pretty sure...the waiter(s) got a kick out it too.

It reminds me of one of my best(worst) mistakes...getting casado-cansado mixed up.

I was explaining in a letter to a Mexican friend...that my three brothers were married...but used casando...3X instead.

He wrote back promptly via email...to check...just how 'tired' they all were! Wendy

P.S. Thanks all;^)

I should never type emails on the days ...estoy cansando cuando soy casado...con Arbon!

(This post was edited by wendy devlin on Feb 10, 2003, 11:43 AM)

Brad.

Feb 10, 2003, 10:54 AM

Post #41 of 59 (2532 views)

Shortcut

Re: [wendy devlin] casado vs cansado

Can't Post |
eerrr Wendy....casado does mean married.

Mereja

Feb 10, 2003, 10:56 AM

Post #42 of 59 (2529 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
Oh shucks, you did it again.

arbon

Feb 10, 2003, 11:22 AM

Post #43 of 59 (2520 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
Wendy how many times do I have to remind you?

casado-...= mucho trabajar.....mucho trabajar...= cansado

casa = house=work=tired=cans of beer.

(This post was edited by arbon on Feb 10, 2003, 11:31 AM)

arbon

Feb 10, 2003, 11:51 AM

Post #44 of 59 (2508 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
"I should never type emails on the days ...estoy cansando cuando soy casado...con Arbon!"

I can hear a violin again.Wink

Mabel

Feb 13, 2003, 10:25 AM

Post #45 of 59 (2491 views)

Shortcut

Re: [arbon] Yet another Mexican Faux Pax

Can't Post |
A few years back , old Crazy Bear (DH) was in a bar with a few amigos and decided to impress them with his mastery of Mexican Spanish ( not as good as mine, which should tell you something right there). So he went over to the bar to order two brandies and a beer....

"Da me lo dos caballeros y una servicio, por favor !!! "

He said things got really quiet. I don't doubt it. Anytime you tell a bartender to give you two cowboys and a bathroom, it's bound to get their attention....

( For the grammatically challenged: )

Dos caballeros y una servicio - Two cowboys and a bathroom

Dos cadadillos y una cerveza - Two brandies and a beer

So now he plays it safe and yells "Una Corona mas, por favor"..... He learns slow but he catches on fast.....(grin)

Mabel

JR Cortesi

Feb 13, 2003, 10:21 PM

Post #46 of 59 (2466 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Mabel] This is really a FAUX PAS!!

Can't Post |
For the grammatically challenged? and the culturally impaired, I would add.

Servicio (service) = bathroom???

Caballeros (gentlemen)= cowboys???????

Cadadillos(????)= brandies??????????

My advise; play it safe and learn some words in spanish and french, before making another FAUX PAS (not, faux paX). And catch on fast!

Mon Dieu!!

Hicksville, Oklahoma

(This post was edited by JR Cortesi on Feb 13, 2003, 10:30 PM)

Mabel

Feb 14, 2003, 3:59 AM

Post #47 of 59 (2454 views)

Shortcut

Re: [JR Cortesi] This is really a FAUX PAS!!

Can't Post |
It's always a pleasure to learn the "correct" way of speaking from an expert. Thanks for taking the time to post so that others will be able to avoid those mistakes which I am so frequently making.

It's true, je ne parle Francias y me Espanol es pocito, but I really like to try, and would probably be better if the Mexicans I speak to would take the time to tell me what an ass I am making of myself.

Unfortunately, this is the best I can do at my stage . Perhaps I should just give it up altogether.

But thanks again, -- nobody appreciates your criticism more than I.

I feel like the vanquished Philistines from the Bible ------ slain by the jawbone of an ass.....

Mabel in Durant

Denis

Feb 14, 2003, 12:59 PM

Post #48 of 59 (2420 views)

Shortcut

Re: [JR Cortesi] This is really a FAUX PAS!!

Can't Post |
Actually, servicio = bathroom is OK, I've heard it in Spain. I believe the preferred word in Mexico is sanitarios. As for cadadillo, maybe she meant carajillo, "Bebida que se prepara generalmente añadiendo una bebida alcohólica fuerte al café caliente."

arbon

Feb 14, 2003, 2:01 PM

Post #49 of 59 (2413 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Denis] This is really a FOX Y PASS!!

Can't Post |
In France for breakfast, café with a shot of cognac,--(brandy).

In Mexico,for breakfast "Leche Caliente"...straight from the cows teat into the glass,with a shot of mescal,& chocolate powder or "Nescafé"

JR Cortesi

Feb 14, 2003, 4:37 PM

Post #50 of 59 (2409 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Mabel] More FAUX PAS!!

Can't Post |
Mon Dieu!!

Seems like a learning disability, besides the cultural impairment.

"I remember one time after I had been studying Spanish for about a year,..."

"je ne parle Francias(?) y me(?) Espanol es(?) pocito(?)."

You're starting to catch on, though.

"Perhaps I should just give it up altogether."

Talking about slain cows...

from worldly Hicksville, Oklahoma

Who occasionally, get screwed.

A vuestra orden, Señora. Au Revoir!
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4