Forums  > Areas > Central Highlands
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Lavanda

Sep 17, 2005, 4:51 PM

Post #26 of 29 (1794 views)

Shortcut

Re: [gsgall] Would like to meet expats in Guanajuato

Can't Post |
An active group for english-speaking Guanajuatenses (both natives and expats) is at yahoogrups.com

to join, send an email to guanajuato_-subscribe@yahoogroups.com.

No subject or message is needed.

And to refute or confirm some of the responses before mine:

Guanajuato la capital is NOT more expensive: SMA and Ajijic have Guanjuato beat by miles as far as prices. In ajijic and SMA there is a much fatter "gringo tax".

Guanajuato is a student town as well as the state capital and students need affordable housing and food, etc. The city is very youthful in its attitude and has many cultural events available, and welcomes expats, but is not geared to
cater specially to expats.

Marlene, as for the garafones, those are sitting there waiting for the delivery guys to take them to the truck. The delivery guys go up the callejones knocking to inquire if water is needed, then deliver the full (approx 5 gallon)
jugs to the house, placing them where the home owner wants them, trucks the empties back down, and then they are later picked up.

Our place is on one of those steep, impassable by a car or motorcycle even, callejones and we DO have a beautiful view of Pipila, specially from the roof of our house. It (the climb to the front door) is very painful on one's aching joints to get up there !

Finally, Luisita, is that you? I was afraid I had lost you.
Please email me if you care to.

Hugs, Lavanda

rogercasad

Nov 24, 2005, 12:16 PM

Post #27 of 29 (1727 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Nancy4] Would like to meet expats in Guanajuato

Can't Post | Private Reply
What town did you buy the condo in, how large and what is the cost in that area? We are planning a trip in June 2006 to find a place to retire in a few years. We currently live in Alaska. THanks

jerezano

Nov 25, 2005, 10:40 AM

Post #28 of 29 (1676 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Nancy4] Would like to meet expats in Guanajuato

Hello,

One thing not mentioned as a reason for the high prices on real estate is that Guanajuato City is one of the fastest developing areas in México. It is being invaded as a result by affluent Guppy Mexicans buying land (which is extremely restricted because of the location in a small bowl and building or renovating palacial homes. Don't know if the bowl was volcanic or not, but there it is.

Along with that charging development comes all the benefits of culture, as well as the dis-benefits of crime and tranito. So far the air pollution problem has not developed since most of the industry seems to be of the service and think-tank variety.

As some posters have mentioned, everything in Guanajato City is up or down. Like San Francisco, CA, but worse.

One other problem with the city is the tourist invasion every weekend. Another is the yearly International Cervantes Festival in October which offers fabulous musical and other events, but has become an Autumn-Break for University students. Worse than Padre Island TX at Spring-break.

Other than the problems of climate, cost, up-and-down walking, traffic, week-end tourists and student
binges, Guanajuato offers a paradise for the retiree. It is actually a much more vibrant and almost as picturesque city as San Miguel de Allende is a picturesque town. It has been on the "Silver City Tour" circuit for about a half century.

Would I LIVE there? Absolutely not. Would I VISIT there? Absolutely, yes. I enjoy every visit.

Adios. jerezano.

gpk

Nov 26, 2005, 7:06 PM

Post #29 of 29 (1618 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jerezano] Would like to meet expats in Guanajuato

I didn't attend, but according to the newspaper this year's Cervantino was not plagued by the drunken-youth problem of past years. I think on-street security was beefed up and this made the difference. Guanajuato is growing but not just for rich Mexicans (I haven't seen this rich Mexican influx into the city, but jerezano probably knows). There has been a housing boom going on in the entire state of Guanajuato (maybe everywhere in Mexico?) for about 5 years (Because of Fox? Who knows?), and Guanajuato has gotten its share of normal-priced Mexican houses. A new shopping center was just announced (something that was sorely needed), so there will be more conveniences. I too like to visit Guanajuato, but living there would be a real hassle IMO.
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4