Forums  > Areas > Central Highlands
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

gsgall

Jan 22, 2003, 7:37 PM

Post #1 of 29 (10743 views)

Shortcut

Would like to meet expats in Guanajuato

Can't Post |
Hi, we will be in Guanajuato in March, investigating a move there. Would like to talk to expats currently living there, meet them while there if possible, or email would also be great.

Thanks, Geoff and Susan, Seattle

Luisa

Jan 22, 2003, 7:51 PM

Post #2 of 29 (10709 views)

Shortcut

Re: [gsgall] Would like to meet expats in Guanajuato

Can't Post |
There is an expat brunch that takes place in different restaurants, usually in hotels, every Sunday at 10 a.m. To find out at which restaurant the brunch is being held on a given Sunday, email or call Charlie Montemayor at charlymont@redes.int.com.mx or (within Gto) 732-7272.

gsgall

Jan 22, 2003, 7:54 PM

Post #3 of 29 (10695 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Luisa] Would like to meet expats in Guanajuato

Can't Post |
Wow, thanks for the fast reply! I will plan to be there in March, & will contact the email you gave me shortly before we leave here. We plan to spend 2 weeks there in town, probably with bus trips around to SMA etc. but mainly in Gto.

Are you norteamericano? May I ask how long you have lived there?

Susan

candap

Aug 29, 2005, 4:57 PM

Post #4 of 29 (10591 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post | Private Reply
Just curious... I'm also interested in exploring various parts of Mexico (including Guanajuato) as possible retirement or at least extended stay locations. I plan to retire in approx. 1-1/2 years. It will be a solo move for me, and I'm unsure of the best way to explore -- individually, try and locate a loosely organized tour group, or formal pre-retirement tour group. Any suggestions?

johnv

Aug 30, 2005, 7:22 AM

Post #5 of 29 (10539 views)

Shortcut

I would forget about Guanajuato. It is highly overrated. Real estate is outrageous for no reason. Potential retirees would way better off to consider SMA, Chapala, or "Lakeside 2". I think that Guanajuato would have very little appeal to 95% of retirees. Especially, after they'd been here for about a year.

Miguel Palomares

Aug 30, 2005, 7:53 AM

Post #6 of 29 (10534 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johnv] Would like to meet expats in Guanajuato

Can't Post |
I tend to agree with johnv. However, I would rule out San Miguel and Chapala too. Talk about high prices.

Go to the search tool on mexconnect and type in:

Upgrade to Lakeside 2.0
From Tzurumutaro, Michoacan, "The Village of the Darned."

The nuts and bolts of moving to Mexico:
http://michaeldickson.blogspot.com/
The dark side of living in Mexico:
http://mexicopeeks.blogspot.com/
Scintillating life in a Mexican pueblo:
http://tzurumutaro.blogspot.com/
http://tzurumutaro2.blogspot.com/

gpk

Aug 30, 2005, 10:12 AM

Post #7 of 29 (10504 views)

Shortcut

Re: [candap] Would like to meet expats in Guanajuato

Guanajuato is a city and a state. Which were you referring to? The replies so far have assumed you meant the city of Guanajuato, or Guanajuato Capital as it is known here. Price seems to be on everyone's mind although you didn't bring it up. Housing is hard to find in the centro of Guanajuato Capital, but there are areas around centro that are very nice--and certianly no more expensive than San Miguel. Guanajuato is much quieter and much more Mexican than San Miguel or Chapala. It is worth a visit and maybe worth considering. Hopefully you'll get some more useful advice than has been posted so far.

oldgringo

Aug 31, 2005, 7:03 AM

Post #8 of 29 (10450 views)

Shortcut

Re: [candap] Would like to meet expats in Guanajuato

I've read that Tony Cohan, the author of "On Mexican Time" has left SMA and moved to Guanajuato (city). Another author, Charlie Montemayor, published a book "Retirement Tales" "Two Gringos Living in Mexico" a story of Charlie and his wife's move to Mexico. They settled on the city of Guanajuato. I might suggest that you read their book. To my knowledge, it's the most informative out there for one that wishes to locate in Guanajuato. If you can speak and understand a bit of Spanish, don't hesitate to take a trip on your own.
I love Guanajuato, but it seems too "big and busy" to my wife. She prefers San Miguel because of it's smaller size.
You'll note a definite French influence in the architecture, and a visit to the Opera House and the Don Quixote Museum are a must.
Have Fun!
Don

jacpowell

Aug 31, 2005, 7:14 PM

Post #9 of 29 (10402 views)

Shortcut

Re: [oldgringo] Would like to meet expats in Guanajuato

When folks say Guanajuato City is "too quiet" they obviously haven't spent the night near Centro. The narrow valley bounces sound back and forth like crazy! We didn't explore the neighborhoods away from Centro, and perhaps they're quieter. But, of course, it's possible folks are talking about things to do -- like clubs and movies -- rather than noise. Surely there's enough cultural activity, what with the University there....

Jackie Powell

TigerTonio

Sep 1, 2005, 7:30 AM

Post #10 of 29 (10381 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Don Palomares] Why not Guanajuato?

Aside from high prices, I'm curious as to the other reasons why it would be considered unappealing to retirees. When I was there in 2002, I had a blast. Cultural activities were numerous, people seemed spirited. Spanish seemed to be a necessary (definitely not a bad thing) day-to-day survival skill. Of course, I have never been there longer than a week and don't know the 'real deal'. So, if some of the other posters who are more knowledgable of the area and living conditions can kindly address my inquiries, I'll show my appreciation by rewarding your responses with a cyber cup of coffee.

johnv

Sep 1, 2005, 10:00 AM

Post #11 of 29 (10358 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jacpowell] Would like to meet expats in Guanajuato

Yes, the Capital is very noisy and very cramped. You always have a cramped feeling in Guanajuato. It is estimated that there are more dogs in the city than people, and anyone who is here more than 6 weeks will soon learn. Then there is the crime. For example, every night there is an average of 3 car windshields broken out, to remove the contents, not to speak of the burglaries. And there are more mustard incidents with tourists than anyone knows. Also, the city is not too clean, and you really have to be here for awhile and you will begin to notice. My landlords, who work for the Univesity, and live in Irapuato, refer to the city as sucia, "filthy". Then there is the ultra-conservatism. Don't try wearing shorts here on a hot spring day. The architecture here looks great, but to someone who has lived in both SMA and Guanjauato, it is easy to see that SMA has the Capital beat by a long shot. SMA is close to the beautiful, clean, and cultural Queretaro, whereas here GtoCap we only have the huge and dirty Leon, one of the ugliest cities in Mexico. And all this only becomes apparent after being here for awhile, whereas the everyday visitor falsely sees everything as peachy. Yes, in my opinion Lakeside 2, SMA, or Ajijic far outshine Guanajuato. I am presently considering moving myself.

TigerTonio

Sep 1, 2005, 10:15 AM

Post #12 of 29 (10356 views)

Shortcut

Wow. This is the most comprehensive critique I have ever come across by an expat in Guanajuato. Thanks for sharing!

jennifer rose

Sep 1, 2005, 10:20 AM

Post #13 of 29 (10355 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
I love Guanajuato. The magic of the sunset, the fantastic architecture, a well-mannered populace. But it's too cold, and it's too hot, and it's too dry for full-time living. It's a fantastic place for a few days, but I'd opt for Morelia or Queretaro or even Uruapan over Guanajuato (or San Miguel de Allende for that matter).

carlw

Sep 1, 2005, 3:50 PM

Post #14 of 29 (10317 views)

Shortcut

To give an example of how great Guanajuato must be, it is documented that in the Dallas/Fort Worth metroplex area of Texas, there are at least 400,000 persons who were born in the Estado Guanajuato, perhaps more. Some of the older ones who have retired and have Social Security benefits actually do go back to live out their days, but most will never go back for more than a visit. And the numbers grow daily

Brian

Sep 1, 2005, 5:04 PM

Post #15 of 29 (10296 views)

Shortcut

Re: [carlw] Would like to meet expats in Guanajuato

Carl

The state of Guanajuato is extremely poor and, hence, the rate of immigration to the United States is very high. Sadly, many villages are composed almost entirely of women and children while their sons, husbands and fathers are in "el otro ladro" trying to earn enough money to send home. It is typical for immigrants from various parts of Mexico to gravitate to specific locations in the US as a form of networking.

saludos

Brian

d2shoe

Sep 1, 2005, 7:28 PM

Post #16 of 29 (10275 views)

Shortcut

Don Lamson
www.d2customfootwear.com

raferguson

Sep 2, 2005, 2:06 PM

Post #17 of 29 (10223 views)

Shortcut

As a longtime fan of Guanajuato, I will put in my two cents worth. It is one of my favorite places in Mexico. Lots of cultural events, has a university. Great atmosphere and history. Few expats. Streets tend to be narrow and steep.

It is probably the most difficult town to drive in that I know, due to the three-dimensional street layout, tunnels, one-way streets, random street layout, etc. A good place to use taxis or walk. The last time I drove in I hired a taxi to lead us to our hotel, and left the car parked for the duration. I am sure that you could eventually learn your way around, but it takes a while.

Richard

http://www.fergusonsculpture.com

tomas 99

Sep 5, 2005, 10:59 AM

Post #18 of 29 (10125 views)

Shortcut

It is obvious that, for his own reasons, John V. has an axe to grind about the city of Guanajuato, but I can assure you that the vast majority of foreigners who live here are very happy here. I don't know how many people I've run into here who had planned to stay for a short time and ended up still here years later.

There is so much misinformation in this thread about Guanajuato that I don't know where to begin. That anyone could even suggest that housing prices are higher here than in SMA or Chapala is completely nuts.

Crime? I've heard of a few cases but GTO is certainly safer than most US cities. Admittedly, I've been here less than a year but I have never once had a bad experience.

"Don't try wearing shorts?" I must have missed the shorts police here--there are plenty of tourists, Mexican and foreign, who wander the streets in shorts in the warm weather.

Regarding migration to the States, these people almost all come from rural villages. Migration from the city of Gto is relatively uncommon.

Driving in Guanajuato is difficult? I found it to be remarkably simple after I learned the basic layout of the tunnels, which took me about two weeks. A big traffic jam here means it takes you 10 minutes to get somewhere rather than five.

What Guanajuto city IS, without a doubt, is Mexican. Being Mexican means that it is noisy, more dirty than Americans are used to, and chaotic. It is not a gringo playground, but a real, functioning Mexican city with all its glories and all its problems.

It's not for everybody but I wouldn't reject it as a place to live without checking it out for yourself and making your own decision.

Tom O'Connor
Guanajuato, GTO

Don Moore

Sep 5, 2005, 11:09 AM

Post #19 of 29 (10122 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tomas 99] Would like to meet expats in Guanajuato

Thanks for the report, Tomas. I think that lots of misinformation is a result of so little accurate information coming from those who live in Guanajuato. I have rarely read anything at all from a Gringo who actually resides in the city.
Don Moore

misslyn

Sep 6, 2005, 4:53 PM

Post #20 of 29 (10061 views)

Shortcut

One thing that no one seems to have mentioned is the terrain of Guanajuato city. It is built on a series of hills which could prove problematic to retirees in less than optimal condition. I spent some time there a few years ago and got such a workout that I actually lost weight while eating to my heart's (and tummy's) content! I loved the city and thought of retiring there but now that I have two artificial hips I'm not sure I'd want to chance a fall on those hills. But it's definitely worth a visit so you can decide for yourself.

Lyn in San Diego

Marlene

Sep 6, 2005, 7:59 PM

Post #21 of 29 (10046 views)

Shortcut

Re: [misslyn] Would like to meet expats in Guanajuato

My husband lived in Guanajuato for a time and he was telling me that many of those houses with the fabulous views have no street access and the folks that live there have to climb up stairs day in and day out. Yikes! Imagine!

I did take note of all the empty water garafons at the bottom of steep stairs leading to houses up the hillside. Does the water guy climb those stairs or do the owners come down and retrieve their own water? It would be something to think about because that can't be easy. What would you do on moving day?

Esteban

Sep 6, 2005, 8:05 PM

Post #22 of 29 (10042 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Marlene] Would like to meet expats in Guanajuato

We spent a month in Guanajuato and had a great time. We walked the whole city. Yes, it's true. There are beautiful walkways, about 2 to 3 meters wide, all over the city. These walkways are the only access to many private homes and apartments. Yes, the water guys carry the water to wherever you want them to carry it. You can also have a filtration system so you don't have to buy water. It's an incredible city. You don't have to worry about bus or car noise. One of the most beautiful cities I've ever seen but after a month, I realized I couldn't live away from the ocean.

misslyn

Sep 7, 2005, 9:28 AM

Post #23 of 29 (10013 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Marlene] Would like to meet expats in Guanajuato

I was staying in a private home in Centro while going to school. One day I came panting up the very steep driveway to find a pack of mules at the front door delivering building supplies. The day I left, I was terrified that my big wheeled suitcase would pull me a** end over teakettle down to the bottom. If I lived there I would just stay forever in one place - I can't imagine moving!

johnv

Sep 7, 2005, 5:20 PM

Post #24 of 29 (9983 views)

Shortcut

Re: [misslyn] Would like to meet expats in Guanajuato

Yes, you have the Panoramica, just a handfull of streets, and just a handfull of tunnels, that are actually drivable. SMA for instance, problably has 10 times the number of drivable streets and is a pleasant walking town. Then, take into account that the GuatCap has a much higher population than SMA, way way less drivable streets, and more hills, and you will begin to understand the "cramped" feeling that you get when you have been here 3+ years. As for excersize, it is a great city for a super aerobic heart thumping stroll around town. You'll get a strong heart, or a heart attack, real quick here.

Nancy4

Sep 13, 2005, 5:52 AM

Post #25 of 29 (9899 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Esteban] Would like to meet expats in Guanajuato

Hola. I was scaning through the posts and found one of yours mentioning you could not be away from the ocean too long. I understand that feeling. May I ask what part of MX's beautiful coast you are referring to? We just bought a condo within the coastal area and it took 9 months, but we have been successful. We are "across" a beautiful bridged road to the open ocean. Just the area is dreamy.
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4