Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

TejasBill

Jan 22, 2003, 3:43 PM

Post #1 of 36 (6238 views)

Shortcut

How do we start?

Can't Post |
How hard will it be to have 3-phase electric service and what should I expect to happen when I start bringing all my tools and manufacturing equipment in. Also, where would you recommend to start looking for the right place to set up my business ... I would think it needs to be on a main traveled highway for shipping & receiving. I will also not need much if any local labor to operate this business ... will this be a problem?

Also, another consideration is that my wife is a Certified Teacher in Texas. She doesn't speak any Spanish at all but says that she is not too old to learn & my Spanish is rusty due to the fact that I don't use it everyday ... It will come back as I need it though (I hope I'm not too old to learn too).

tomgibbs

Jan 23, 2003, 9:23 AM

Post #2 of 36 (5819 views)

Shortcut

Re: [TejasBill] How do we start?

Can't Post |
I'll be interested in following all the details of your move (electricity, machinery moving, etc.).

Best wishes.

Rolly

Jan 23, 2003, 10:03 AM

Post #3 of 36 (5787 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post | Private Reply
Three-phase power (208 or 440) will not be a problem although you may have to pay for a transformer if your load is greater than is available on the street, and this is often the case if you don't locate in an industrial area.

Where to locate is best decided by a scouting trip through northern Mexico. You need to pick a place where you will be comfortable living. If you want to buy land, you'd be better off to get away from the edges of the country. Looking at a map, go south from El Paso to Torreón, then east to Monterrey and north to Laredo. Anywhere along this route would meet your need for easy truck access to the USA. These are manufacturing areas and will have the kind of infrastructure support you will need. Most of the places along this route, in my opinion, are good places to live -- maybe except Monterrey which has lousy weather, too much traffic and smog. I live next door to Torreón.

Your questions about importing machinery, opening a business, etc are things that are best discussed with the Mexican consulate that serves your area in Texas (Houston?).

Rolly Pirate

TejasBill

Jan 23, 2003, 10:56 AM

Post #4 of 36 (5772 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tomgibbs] How do we start?

Can't Post |
My life is an open book! This chapter is almost done ... it will be time to turn the page soon!

Thank You!

(This post was edited by TejasBill on Jan 23, 2003, 10:59 AM)

TejasBill

Jan 23, 2003, 11:30 AM

Post #5 of 36 (5742 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] How do we start?

Can't Post |
Rolly,

I think a road trip is in order soon. I will have to make a trip to Galveston to visit my son at A&M and check with the Mexican consulate in Houston about the details and try to do as much here as I can ... I am still unsure of the consequences of filing for the different types of visas available and need all that clarified ... I understand that I should take one of my older and most dependable vehicles on the trip. I have a '65 Chevy pick-up truck that I have mounted on a Coupe de Ville chassis that will more than likely fill the bill only thing is that old 472 Cadillac really prefers 93 octane fuel or better so I'll have to bring a lot of additive to run the national gasolina ... maybe I should think about building some kind of low compression powerplant first? I don't think I should bring the '96 S.S. Impala down there at all ... it is way too big black and shiny that might cause trouble from what I have been told in the past.

Thanks for Your reply & we could be neighbors - down the road!

Guillermo Puentes de Tejas

Rolly

Jan 23, 2003, 11:45 AM

Post #6 of 36 (5741 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post | Private Reply
About cars and gas: You must have watched too many old John Wayne movies and listened to too many BSer who haven't been to Mexico in the past 20 years. Your '96 Impala won't even be noticed among all the SUVs, Mercedes, and brand new killer pickups. Much of the gasoline sold in Mexico, especially here in the north land, is imported from the USA. Bring the car you find comfortable for a long drive and don't worry about the gasoline or theft.

I’m a Texan myself (Lampasas), and I am well aware of all the common Texan’s thoughts about life in Mexico. I can assure you that not a damn word of it is true. Look at my website.

Expect to the surprised.

Rolly Pirate

jennifer rose

Jan 23, 2003, 12:51 PM

Post #7 of 36 (5732 views)

Shortcut

Re: [TejasBill] Start by Reading the Posts

Can't Post |
Why don't you take a stab at reading the posts which have already been made to this forum and to the General Forum, where the matters of immigration status and how a 7-year old car will make you the envy of all of Mexico?

awcharro

Jan 23, 2003, 3:07 PM

Post #8 of 36 (5699 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
I am also from Houston. I moved to Monterrey in 1994 and moved to Aguascalientes (in central Mexico) a little over six months ago. To be honest with you, compared to Monterrey, I feel like I am living in heaven here in Aguascalientes!

However, Monterrey probably has the best business climate in Mexico, in spite of it's lousy weather. (The weather is very similar to south Texas. Hot, long summers, relatively mild winters until a "norther" blows in, etc.) It is a very industrial city. I call it the Chicago of Mexico. If you want to start a business that services business and industry, Monterrey would be a good place to check out.

By the way, I have a daughter who graduated from A&M. So, like you, I am an "Aggie's Dad".

TejasBill

Jan 24, 2003, 12:36 PM

Post #9 of 36 (5662 views)

Shortcut

Re: Rolly, Jennifer Rose & awcharro

Can't Post |
Rolly,

Guess you are right ... what I've been told from my brother & my dad is info. about six to eight years old ... the main thing that I was considering is the "deposit" or "bond" that is required for entry & the fact that my brother said the "check station" was always closed where he was supposed to get his "refund" on the way out! I didn't know about the gasoline being imported from the U.S.A. in the northern part of Mexico but I do know that after I put the T-56 six speed in my '96 BBB I also changed out the computer system & had it reprogrammed to use 93 octane fuel or better instead of 86 & have to run booster in when I find only 90 octane "premium" fuel available in some parts of the U.S. too ... there is also the consideration of Napoleonic code in Mexico rather than Anglo Saxon code that I am accustomed to - this would lead me to believe that the black car would potentially be a magnet for mishap ... I am also relatively certain that part of my concern is only a fear of the unknown & maybe after an initial trip that my mind might be set at ease!

Jennifer Rose,

I must admit that I haven't searched the archives very thoroughly yet & that I really should ... I had complained about no one answering my post & now that people are communicating with me it seems to take a lot of time simply responding to the replies since my typing skills are not all that good & I am also dyslexic to boot!

awcharro,

Howdy! Good to hear ya'll are doing fine down there in "heaven" ... the long hot summers are just what my old tired bones are aching for! Man I'm glad we got out of Houston too! I have been considering the area around Chihuahua & maybe further north & west - down below Arizona ... I don't like the big city thing at all! As for the most part I would rather be left alone just to do my own thing and not be bothered ... that is why I have found a business where I don't have a traditional storefront - all I need is dependable shipping & receiving and a telephone to conduct business aside from the occasional sales trip & a place to entertain a few of the big volume customers from time to time ... I was the donut maker for about 2 1/2 years in San Angelo where I owned a Daylight Donut Shop ... 'bout worked myself to death ... chose the wrong location & ended up having to run a wholesale route to get my product in front of the public ...

Thanks again for Your response!

Guillermo Puentes de Tejas

awcharro

Jan 24, 2003, 5:51 PM

Post #10 of 36 (5603 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
What a coincidence! I used to live in San Angelo myself! Even though I am from Houston, I have to admit that I like San Angelo a lot better than Houston (I really don't like big cities either). San Angelo was the place where I actually began to get really serious about learning Spanish. I worked as a contract programmer for GTE for about a year there. I had a tutor from Angelo State University teach me Spanish once a week, went to a Spanish speaking church (Templo Emanuel Assembly of God), and listened to the Spanish radio station on my head phones while I was at work programming computers. Therefore, the key to learning Spanish is a strong will to do so and a lot of exposure to it! (But then, you probably have been speaking Spanish all of your life.)

I'm not sure that I understand the type of business that you have. Could you give me some more details? When you say "electric business", does that mean repairing electrical motors? If so, what kind? This might give me a better idea of what place to recommend for you to investigate living in Mexico. If you are considering moving as far west as Sonora, you might really want to consider central Mexico, since it is really no further away from Houston than the Sonora desert. The climate here is much better than the vast majority of northern Mexico, and Aguascalientes is a relatively progressive town.

Richard

Jan 24, 2003, 6:42 PM

Post #11 of 36 (5609 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jennifer rose] Its not the year

Can't Post |
And he never said he'd be the envy of anyone, but for those who know anything about cars the SS is still in HOT demand everywhere. WHY you might ask ? Because with very little work that whole fire breathing system/Drive train can be dropped (in a weekend or less) into just about anything with 4 wheels. Yes there are faster cars made $$$$$ not near as easy to work on etc etc and parts can be had for that bad boy everywhere.Yes and Mexicans are very aware of the fact that under the hood sits a Corvette !

Just so you'd know ; )

Richard

Alteño

Jan 24, 2003, 10:24 PM

Post #12 of 36 (5617 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Richard] Mexicans ????

Can't Post |
Yes and Mexicans are very aware of the fact that under the hood sits a Corvette !

What do you mean by that? Are you implying that Mexicans can be equalled to Thieves?

Now, to educate you about reality in México, let's talk about car theft in this country. Organized Crime in México controls the car-theft "business", and they steal expensive (Mercedes, BMW, SUV, Lexus, Peugeot, Renault, Volvo, Audi, Land Rover, Saab, Jaguar, et cetera) Mexican cars, in one piece, and late models, that have a market and are shipped to be sold abroad (Arab countries most of them) to people who have the money to afford them. Do you think that they would be interested in selling the engine and the drivetrain to a rich individual? No, they sell cars, not junk. Rich people don't waste their time doing mechanical work, they buy late model cars. That would be attractive to a car thief that has the same mentality, inclination, and the spare time as you do.

The other market for stolen cars in México is for national consumption, as spare, used, parts. So they have to steal cars of the brands that are common in México for the people who buys used, spare parts. Who would buy the engine for a Corvette in México? You think as someone who would be a potential customer for a stolen Corvette engine (you even mention why it is attractive to some people) and then, project that onto other people.

There is no market for that "product" in México. The people in México who has the money to own really fine, expensive, cars (like Porsche and the above mentioned) don't buy junk, they just buy a new car every year. . .Is this ignorance or what? Do you know where you can put that whole engine? I guess you already now.

(This post was edited by Alteño on Jan 24, 2003, 11:06 PM)

Richard

Jan 25, 2003, 8:11 AM

Post #13 of 36 (5584 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Alteño] Mexicans ????

Can't Post |
What do you mean by that? Are you implying that Mexicans can be equaled to Thieves?

No I never said that !!! Where did I SAY THAT ? As always your showing your ever present attitude!

I said nothing of the sort. I stated what is true. Now for the fact that you state only new cars are stolen . . . get real !

they steal expensive (Mercedes, BMW, SUV, Lexus, Peugeot, Renault, Volvo, Audi, Land Rover, Saab, Jaguar, et cetera) Mexican cars, in one piece, and late models, that have a market and are shipped to be sold abroad

You are telling me that every car stolen is new and exported! Once again get real and get off your high horse. My post was not nasty so get off my back .

You try all to often to make Mexico sound like it is Oakbrook Kenilworth or Barrington Estates. . . Its not!

Two cars that I know of stolen in Mexico #1 a Late model Jeep Wrangler and the other an Ex- Police car yes the Car in mention without the flags and NOT NEW!

NOT ALL cars stolen here or there are new upper end Vehicles . So get real and loose your attitude. My post did not have an attitude. As Always your did!!! AND Yes shop shorts are in Mexico too.

That would be attractive to a car thief that has the same mentality, inclination, and the spare time as you do.

Why you would imply that I am the type of person (mentality) who would receive stolen goods when you don't know me is truly IGNORANT!

Loose the chip on your shoulder, I did not attack you or Mexico! Or Jennifer BTW!

When almost every post you make includes an attack or an insult you are able to educate few if any.

I did not attack Jennifer I just pointed out something I "thought" she might not be aware of.

Really not the subject at hand. . . . . . BUT

Building and Owning Hot Rods/Street Rods... this is NOT a hobby for those having a hard time paying their mortgage! To drop $50,000.00 or more into a Car or a Truck you drive a few hunderd miles a year is Common place.

Its a since of accomplishment that drives these people.

Many are Exec's and Middle and Upper Middle managers etc etc. Guys and a few a Ladies BTW you would never expect to be in this hobby. Those who pay. . . . to have EVERYTHING done don't last long . Few admire someones ability to write a check. Its a badge of honor to be able to say YOU did most or ALL of it yourself !

Well anyway . If you would tell people your views without the Slams, Cuts and insults , more would listen to what you say. IMHO

flambe

Jan 25, 2003, 11:56 AM

Post #14 of 36 (5535 views)

Shortcut

Post deleted by jennifer rose |

flambe

Jan 25, 2003, 12:03 PM

Post #15 of 36 (5525 views)

Shortcut

Post deleted by jennifer rose |

Richard

Jan 25, 2003, 3:32 PM

Post #16 of 36 (5504 views)

Shortcut

Re: [flambe] Mexicans ????

Can't Post |
Hi . . . I don't know how many cars are stolen each year In the USA or in Mexico. Should I know that figure?

A fellow was concerned about the plausibility / likelihood of loosening his somewhat RARE High Performance SS Impala. Some thought/said .. . . hey its not New Car. . . .

I spoke up about its potential.

My In-laws lived in Weslaco (sp) Texas, and I would hear regularly about this News Item from them . Far from ALL THE CARS STOLEN where what Alteno claims .

Might I add in MY POST

I made no snotty comments, I called No one, any derogatory names !

I did post some information that is true to the best of my knowledge.

I drove half way across Mexico and back again in a very Non-descript Chevy P.U.

Why ??? I too was concerned about possible theft .

I had out of Country plates, staying in Hotels and Motels, far from home ,with a truck FULL of Scuba Gear worth Thousands of dollars, among many other things .

I could have drove a much flashier Truck to haul all my stuff but why draw attention to myself ? Made sence then and still does today.

flambe

Jan 25, 2003, 6:22 PM

Post #17 of 36 (5484 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
Wow! I would think one that worries so much about the theft of automobiles, and shares his knowledge on this subject would know this stuff. Let me share what I found on the net.

"A vehicle is stolen every 19 seconds in the United States and in 1997, over 1,500,000 vehicles were stolen."

You say,
I made no snotty comments, I called No one, any derogatory names !

Don't get emotional, I wasn't accusing you of this. I was simply asking a logical question, based on your post. Next time you park your more expensive car in the U.S., you may want to think about this. Honestly, I feel safer in Mexico with my car than I would in the U.S.

smurfito

Jan 26, 2003, 3:12 PM

Post #18 of 36 (5441 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Alteño] Mexicans ????

Can't Post |
Pobre de Alteno....siempre se pone a la defensiva y siempre se pone en ridiculo.

JudyinKC

Jan 26, 2003, 4:40 PM

Post #19 of 36 (5417 views)

Shortcut

Re: [awcharro] How do we start?

Can't Post |
Texas Bill said, "I don't like the big city thing at all! As for the most part I would rather be left alone just to do my own thing and not be bothered .."

Andy (awcharro), Do you agree he might not be happy in Aguascalientes which, I understand, has a population of at least 700,000?

(This post was edited by JudyinKC on Jan 26, 2003, 4:42 PM)

kaywil

Jan 26, 2003, 5:18 PM

Post #20 of 36 (5406 views)

Shortcut

Gas appliances

Can't Post |
Hi everyone, I am new to this site and have enjoyed reading the messages.

We have a "ranch" (actually apiece of land) in Tamaulipas. Our plans are to retire, move, build a house and raise a few cattle, sometime in the next 18 months. Anyone with any info on these topics please reply.

My question - This property is isolated - no elec. We want to buy a gas refrigerator and freezer. We have been told that there is a delivery truck that brings propane. Has anyone seen these items and if so where? Our next door neighbor has one (He's an absentee owner so we haven't met him yet) but maybe he bought it in the states.

Closest cities Ciudad Victoria, Matamoros, Monterey.

awcharro

Jan 26, 2003, 8:03 PM

Post #21 of 36 (5379 views)

Shortcut

Re: [JudyinKC] How do we start?

Can't Post |
Aguascalientes has more of a small town feel than most cities that I know of that are that size. Plus, compared to most big cities in Mexico, Aguascalientes, as the people here say, "es tranquilo". Most Mexicans that I know do not really consider Aguascalientes a big city, even though it's population, by U.S. standards, would suggest that it is.

Most people that I know of who are from small towns who have moved to the big city have moved there because, according to them, many people in the small town were butting their noses into their business. So, if someone wants to be left alone, perhaps a small town is not the best place to live. With the type of business that he wants to start, probably moving way out in the country might not be the best idea either.

Alteño

Jan 26, 2003, 8:06 PM

Post #22 of 36 (5385 views)

Shortcut

Post deleted by Alteño |

smurfito

Jan 26, 2003, 9:27 PM

Post #23 of 36 (5373 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Alteño] Can you explain your cryptic statement?

Can't Post |
Tus proprias palabras lo dicen todo: "cualquier ignorante y sin cultura". Asi te reaccionas cuando una persona "se atreve" a opinar o comentar sobre Mexico y la opinion o comentario te cae mal.

(This post was edited by smurfito on Jan 27, 2003, 1:25 AM)

Alteño

Jan 26, 2003, 9:44 PM

Post #24 of 36 (5374 views)

Shortcut

Re: [smurfito] Can you explain your cryptic statement?

Can't Post |

Demuéstrame que estoy equivocado en lo que le respondí a Richard y me retracto públicamente. O, cómo decírtelo de manera que no se oiga tan mal, pero que lo entiendas muy claramente? Tú sólo te metiste en este asunto, tienes algo que decir, argumentar, rebatir, u opinar respecto al asunto?, adelante.

(This post was edited by Alteño on Jan 26, 2003, 11:36 PM)

Alteño

Jan 26, 2003, 10:33 PM

Post #25 of 36 (5371 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
"I drove half way across Mexico and back again in a very Non-descript Chevy P.U.

Why ??? I too was concerned about possible theft .

Would it be reasonable to describe this statement as the projection of your inner, personal fears upon others? This kind of projection is based in the same psychological mechanism that triggers the fears associated with superstitious beliefs in primitive, tribal communities. The fear to the unknown.

The perception of México as a "land of bandidos" derived from the Hollywood "education" that so many people receive (in your other post you plainly equated Mexicans to thieves) influences some persons who come to this country expecting to be robbed, abused, et cetera. They even come in a very "non-descript", low-key, fashion because, they think, other way they would be exposing themselves to Mexicans, who, are lurking at every corner to jump on them. "Mexicans are very aware of what is even under the hoods of cars that are unknown in México".

How can these persons explain to themselves, all those really fine, expensive cars riding all over México? Don't they see them? Don't they see how affluent Mexican people live and go about their everyday business? Have they lost contact with reality? Do their pre-conceptions "filter" reality? Are they culturally determined fears? Whatever the reason(s), it must be really stressful for these persons to be in México. Of course, you have to use common sense and don't expose yourself, regardless of the country. But, there is a huge difference between that and paranoid behavior.

(This post was edited by Alteño on Jan 26, 2003, 11:11 PM)
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4