Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring

Andy in Aguas

Nov 30, 1919, 12:00 AM

Post #1 of 14 (4568 views)

Shortcut

"Why should any American want to move to Mexico to retire........

Can't Post |
.....when he or she could move to a place like Arkansas and live just as cheaply?" I've seen posts like this at various times on this message board.<p>Could it be that there are other reasons for wanting to move to Mexico besides being able to live cheaper? <p>I would like to hear some comments on this from some of you posters who have been living in Mexico for a while, now. I hope that this is the start of an interesting thread!

Kent

Post #2 of 14 (4552 views)

Shortcut

&quot;Why should any American want to move to Mexico to retire........

Can't Post |
  <p>REF to your post and giving you what you ask for: I would like to hear some comments ......
......My true love lives there
......Her family lives there
......Taco Inn is there
......Art and Culture
......Lots more that Arkansas
......I LIKE IT

Because when you get sick...

Post #3 of 14 (4553 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
it's a lot better AND a lot cheaper to be cared for in Mexico than here in the U.S.<p>WIth no insurance mom's nursing facility here cost well over twice as much as the small geriatric facility I moved her to over 18 months ago in Guad.<p>Her current facility also has more then twice the caregiver/patient ratio I could find anywhere here in my area. You simply can't get that type of labor-intensive medical care in the U.S.<p>We've never been happier with her care than we are with her In Mexico.<p>

Doug Lord

Post #4 of 14 (4558 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
: it's a lot better AND a lot cheaper to be cared for in Mexico than here in the U.S.<p>: WIth no insurance mom's nursing facility here cost well over twice as much as the small geriatric facility I moved her to over 18 months ago in Guad.<p>: Her current facility also has more then twice the caregiver/patient ratio I could find anywhere here in my area. You simply can't get that type of labor-intensive medical care in the U.S.<p>: We've never been happier with her care than we are with her In Mexico.
>>>>>>>>>
We would like to retire to a colonial city and would like to take my invalid sister with us. Do you have suggestions about how to look for nursing homes or in home care providers (she has advanced MS and has to have total care)<p>

Georgia

Post #5 of 14 (4553 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
Here's my list:
1. No snow, ice, blizzards, furnace, frozen pipes: WINTER
2. No airconditioning, relentless humidity (I'm outside Jocotepec)
3. The courtesy of the people
4. Being outdoors all the time because people aren't cooped up in cars and malls.
5. Marketing
6. Adventure of living somewhere different
7. Learning about a new culture, history, crafts, geography
8. I'm actually closer to my grandkids here (they live in Texas)<p>
: .....when he or she could move to a place like Arkansas and live just as cheaply?" I've seen posts like this at various times on this message board.<p>: Could it be that there are other reasons for wanting to move to Mexico besides being able to live cheaper? <p>: I would like to hear some comments on this from some of you posters who have been living in Mexico for a while, now. I hope that this is the start of an interesting thread!
: <p>

Alice from Mound

Post #6 of 14 (4552 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
: .....when he or she could move to a place like Arkansas and live just as cheaply?" I've seen posts like this at various times on this message board.<p>: Could it be that there are other reasons for wanting to move to Mexico besides being able to live cheaper? <p>: I would like to hear some comments on this from some of you posters who have been living in Mexico for a while, now. I hope that this is the start of an interesting thread!<p>Do you want the short or the long version of why move to Mexico? Here's the short: I'm tired of living in a Scandinavian ghetto with God's frozen people. Our town is an intellectual vacuum. I have had enough mosquito bites, shoveled enough snow to last many a year. We are virtually under house arrest most of the year with either the A/C or the furnace running. Ice dams, roof leaks, frozen everything, and this year nearly everyone has a wet basement. On the plus side we have good schools, a world class library, great public tv, (2 stations,) great public radio, (3+ stations.) These are all essential in a climate where you spend most of your days indoors. Where are you from anyway? We have already sold our house but maybe you could rent it from the new owner. We leave in October. Alicia <p>

Andy in the Ozarks

Post #7 of 14 (4552 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
That could only be Mound MINNESOTA. I used to live in Lakeville, now in Arkansas, and planning to keep going south till I can look north and see palm trees.<p><p>
: : .....when he or she could move to a place like Arkansas and live just as cheaply?" I've seen posts like this at various times on this message board.<p>: : Could it be that there are other reasons for wanting to move to Mexico besides being able to live cheaper? <p>: : I would like to hear some comments on this from some of you posters who have been living in Mexico for a while, now. I hope that this is the start of an interesting thread!<p>: Do you want the short or the long version of why move to Mexico? Here's the short: I'm tired of living in a Scandinavian ghetto with God's frozen people. Our town is an intellectual vacuum. I have had enough mosquito bites, shoveled enough snow to last many a year. We are virtually under house arrest most of the year with either the A/C or the furnace running. Ice dams, roof leaks, frozen everything, and this year nearly everyone has a wet basement. On the plus side we have good schools, a world class library, great public tv, (2 stations,) great public radio, (3+ stations.) These are all essential in a climate where you spend most of your days indoors. Where are you from anyway? We have already sold our house but maybe you could rent it from the new owner. We leave in October. Alicia <p>

Andy in Aguas

Post #8 of 14 (4549 views)

Shortcut

I'm from Houston, Texas...........

Can't Post |
........and although I love Texas, I'm happier living here in Mexico. I have no plans to move back to the States to live.<p>: : .....when he or she could move to a place like Arkansas and live just as cheaply?" I've seen posts like this at various times on this message board.<p>: : Could it be that there are other reasons for wanting to move to Mexico besides being able to live cheaper? <p>: : I would like to hear some comments on this from some of you posters who have been living in Mexico for a while, now. I hope that this is the start of an interesting thread!<p>: Do you want the short or the long version of why move to Mexico? Here's the short: I'm tired of living in a Scandinavian ghetto with God's frozen people. Our town is an intellectual vacuum. I have had enough mosquito bites, shoveled enough snow to last many a year. We are virtually under house arrest most of the year with either the A/C or the furnace running. Ice dams, roof leaks, frozen everything, and this year nearly everyone has a wet basement. On the plus side we have good schools, a world class library, great public tv, (2 stations,) great public radio, (3+ stations.) These are all essential in a climate where you spend most of your days indoors. Where are you from anyway? We have already sold our house but maybe you could rent it from the new owner. We leave in October. Alicia <p>

Liz

Post #9 of 14 (4554 views)

Shortcut

We aren't retired yet

Can't Post |
  We are just here for a year. If I were to retire here without kids I would live somewhere more obscure than Guanajuato because schools would not be my primary consideration. This question reminds me of something my father's Mexican friend said to him, "I like to go to Mexico where people are polite." The overall level of civility is really high here. It is in the rural US where I live too, but the weather here is far superior. I find the food much better down here because I love beans, corn, rice and such. I cannot afford to eat out as much in the US. There is easy access back to the US and family.<p> I also love the US and I think it is just an issue of how people prefer to live. How important is weather? Are they willing to learn Spanish? Will inefficiency drive them up a wall?

Don

Post #10 of 14 (4550 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
: .....when he or she could move to a place like Arkansas and live just as cheaply?" I've seen posts like this at various times on this message board.<p>: Could it be that there are other reasons for wanting to move to Mexico besides being able to live cheaper? <p>: I would like to hear some comments on this from some of you posters who have been living in Mexico for a while, now. I hope that this is the start of an interesting thread!
: <p>I retired a little over 3 years ago and moved down here just short of 2 years.
After living for a year in central California after I retired, a place where it gets over 100 degrees in the summer and down below freezing in the winter I decided to get out of there. I lived there most of my life. Life is an adventure, so I thought I would continue the adventure in Mexico. It is not only cheaper to live down here, the weather where I am in Baja norte stays in the 70s and low 80s all year round. The people are nice and the crime rate is much less down here, at least where I live. I'm about 50 miles from the border, so if I feel like going back over once in awhile it is no problem. If you like Arkansas thats fine but I like Baja and plan on staying down here until I find another place where I figure the grass is greener on the other side of the fence.

Andy in Aguas

Post #11 of 14 (4548 views)

Shortcut

I was just quoting another poster........

Can't Post |
......which is why I had it in quote marks. There are pretty places in Arkansas to live, but I prefer living in Mexico. I've been in Mexico over eight years now and have no intention of moving back to the States to live (even though I still love the U.S.).<p>: : .....when he or she could move to a place like Arkansas and live just as cheaply?" I've seen posts like this at various times on this message board.<p>: : Could it be that there are other reasons for wanting to move to Mexico besides being able to live cheaper? <p>: : I would like to hear some comments on this from some of you posters who have been living in Mexico for a while, now. I hope that this is the start of an interesting thread!
: : <p>: I retired a little over 3 years ago and moved down here just short of 2 years.
: After living for a year in central California after I retired, a place where it gets over 100 degrees in the summer and down below freezing in the winter I decided to get out of there. I lived there most of my life. Life is an adventure, so I thought I would continue the adventure in Mexico. It is not only cheaper to live down here, the weather where I am in Baja norte stays in the 70s and low 80s all year round. The people are nice and the crime rate is much less down here, at least where I live. I'm about 50 miles from the border, so if I feel like going back over once in awhile it is no problem. If you like Arkansas thats fine but I like Baja and plan on staying down here until I find another place where I figure the grass is greener on the other side of the fence.<p>

Rolly

Post #12 of 14 (4549 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
I had been retired for three years and was in serious need of a new adventure in my life when my landlady of 19 years announced that she was selling “my place.” I had to move, so the question was: where? I had a lot of ideas, but the one that seemed the most interesting was from a dear friend in Lerdo, Durango to move to Mexico and live with him and his family. So I did, and I love it. It also happens to be cheaper than living in Loa Angeles, but that’s just icing on the cake.<p>The challenge of living in a very different environment has been invigorating. Having no one my own age to associate with – most of my friends here are 30 to 40 years younger than I, plus their kids – has been quite stimulating. I’m not 40 again, but I sure don’t feel 71 either (most days).

Andy in Aguas

Post #13 of 14 (4550 views)

Shortcut

You can associate with me.........

Can't Post |
....by e-mail, that is, since I don't plan on being in the Torreón area that often. I am 63 years old, which is closer to your age than the "jovenes" that you know there. <p>However, most of the people that I know in Mexico are younger than I am, but I still enjoy living here in spite of the fact that I am now "grande de edad", according to them. (Lately, however, some people here in the Bajio have called me "joven". When I pull out my INSEN card, which shows when I was born, and show it to them, they are shocked!)<p>: I had been retired for three years and was in serious need of a new adventure in my life when my landlady of 19 years announced that she was selling “my place.” I had to move, so the question was: where? I had a lot of ideas, but the one that seemed the most interesting was from a dear friend in Lerdo, Durango to move to Mexico and live with him and his family. So I did, and I love it. It also happens to be cheaper than living in Loa Angeles, but that’s just icing on the cake.<p>: The challenge of living in a very different environment has been invigorating. Having no one my own age to associate with – most of my friends here are 30 to 40 years younger than I, plus their kids – has been quite stimulating. I’m not 40 again, but I sure don’t feel 71 either (most days).<p>

Sherrill

Post #14 of 14 (4551 views)

Shortcut

I like the part of about integrating the age groups in Mex, Rolly

Can't Post |

We have lived in Celestun, Yucatan for almost 3 years now. Time flies when you're speaking Spanish. I suppose we could live in Missouri for the same amount of money. But could I ride around town on my bike all year round? Go for a swim when the mood strikes? Just going to the market is a social event. In Southern Cal, we were trapped in the car all the time and when I walked, was always looking over my shoulder. I like being part of the community. We have just the right amount of gringos here - 5 households - and just enough foreign tourists who come to see the flamingos to keep it interesting. DirecTV keeps us informed and computer keeps us connected. I like it!

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4