Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Jalisco's Lake Chapala Region
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Jack Thompson

Jan 18, 2003, 6:39 PM

Post #1 of 43 (5850 views)

Shortcut

Ok, I have read this thing for over a year..............I'm coming anyway!

Can't Post |
There seems to be a group of cynics who frequent this forum. When the sun is shining, it's too hot: when it is the rainy season it's too humid; to them the lake has no water, and the gringos are too numerous. To those cynics real estate is far too expensive, and the food is not to their liking! Why then don't they go back to Norte America and make more room for others that think the lake area would be a great place to live?

(This post was edited by davidmcl on Jan 19, 2003, 11:19 AM)

Gone away

Jan 18, 2003, 10:44 PM

Post #2 of 43 (5299 views)

Shortcut

Jack----I'm coming anyway!

Can't Post |
Well the temperatures in Toronto, Ont. are pretty darn cold and lots of snow to boot.

The Daytime temperatures in Chapala/Ajijic (Lakeside) in the daytime are in the 70's and at night it goes to the 50's. Much better than home, where ever that may be. As for costs, you need to also take that with a grain of salt, people who have lived in Lakeside for many years have seen a rise in costs, but as a sort of temporary visitor coming from elsewhere, the prices are not all that bad, definitely much less than spending a winter in Florida. As for Real Estate, rent and then you do not have the problem buying or for that matter trying to re-sell again. The monies it would have cost to buy, if invested, the interest would probably pay for a good part of the rental.

What I am trying to say is, it is a very nice place to be in. Most people whether Mexicans, US Americans or Canadians, are quite friendly and so much more accomodating than in Norte America. It seems at least by my personal experience where you came from and who you were, does not matter, fit in here and you're allright.

Enjoy the atmosphere, ambience and the people whoever they are. Never let others dissuade you, make up your own mind with your eyes open once you are here.

(This post was edited by RM on Jan 18, 2003, 10:54 PM)

Jack Thompson

Jan 19, 2003, 4:08 AM

Post #3 of 43 (5262 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Jack Thompson] Ok, I have read this thing for over a year..............I'm coming anyway!

Can't Post |
Ok, I didn't run that message through spell check! This points out the very reason I sent the message in the first place. Looking at the brighter side of life can be much more rewarding to all of us than to find errors. I know that when people look "look at my eyes" they say they are pretty, yet if you only look in the corner next to my nose the view is of a ugly pink slim looking thing!

I should have used the spelling "cynic" in my first message.

Main Entry: cyn·i·cal
Pronunciation: 'si-ni-k&l
Function: adjective
Date: 1584
1 : CAPTIOUS, PEEVISH
2 : having or showing the attitude or temper of a cynic; especially : contemptuously distrustful of human nature and motives

ChrisB

Jan 19, 2003, 5:35 AM

Post #4 of 43 (5239 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Jack Thompson] Ok, I have read this thing for over a year..............I'm coming anyway!

Can't Post |
In reality Jack, Not a huge portion of the total gringo population that lives lakeside checks in here and posts regularly. I'll be back for good, Feb 1. Here in the states my current tech job means I am in front of a PC for hours daily. Once I get there I'll be out doing my things and might check this forum once a week, not daily. Like many of the local population I'm just too busy to spend a lot of daily time on the PC. So come and visit, don't base your decisions on what you see here.

Uncle Jack

Jan 19, 2003, 6:26 AM

Post #5 of 43 (5246 views)

Shortcut

Yo! Mr. Thompson

Can't Post | Private Reply
No offense intended I just guess that the Devil maid me do it. My ??? post was merely ann example of a late evening, post tequila attempt at a little humor.

Since about August of 2001, I 2 have been lurking and posting hear and have asked and have had answered many of the same questions you have put forward. One of the first things I discovered here is that you must be resilient and have a well-developed cents of humor if you are to survive and enjoy these fourooms. If you get your nose out of joynt, or start getting involved in some of the Intra-Mural urinating competitions that often arise, you will be diverted from your main objective; obtaining good information. Many of the posters here, are very well informed and usually generous with information. Most will hold back for a while until they feel that you are really cinsear and not just another dilatant passing thru.

A few hear are just B.S. artists, and it doesn't take long to ascertain witch is witch. A few here like to play Devil's Advocate and stir up a little feces now and then. This is not all bad. Sometime we have to see a little of the dark side to really appreciate the daylight and the 75* tempertatures.

Patty and I made two trips to Lakeside last year and are planning another in March. We love the area, we love the climate, and we love the people we have met, both Gringo and Mexican. As soon as we sell our home here in Arizona, we will be at Lakeside in a nanosecond.

You know, Jack, I'm really not just another scenic, or senic, or cynic, or however the Hell you spell it .

UJ

Jack Thompson

Jan 19, 2003, 7:25 AM

Post #6 of 43 (5196 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Uncle Jack] Yo! Mr. Thompson

Can't Post |
Thank you, everyone for the remarks. Today, I will tile my kitchen floor, and if I have time install new formica cabinet tops, to get my home ready to sell. It is a "Garden Home" with very small yard, and there are far too few of them in this area of Texas, thus it should sell fast. As soon as the home is sold, I will get rid of my stuff, and be on my way to Lakeside. I'm looking forward to the change of life style, the wonderful people that most write about, the lower cost of living, and of course the great weather.

My first trip I will stop this side of the border, buy Mexican automobile insurance, and settle in for the night. The next morning, I plan to be at the border crossing very early, to avoid traffic of crossing. I will be crossing with clothing, camera equiptment, easles and painting gear, and my little friend Eddie, who is my little dog, and companion. Once at Lakeside, I will first try one of the B&B establishments for a week or two while I search for a furnished home where Eddie and I will live. I plan to stay for a few weeks prior to returning to Texas to retrieve my other stuff.

On my second trip, I plan to apply for a FM-3 and bring back more of my stuff. I don't plan on moving all household goods, but instead have opted to bring electrical appliances, kitchen gadgets, one set of dishes, one set of silverwear, a favorite Austrailan Bar-B-Que unit, a set of sturdy aluminum patio furniture, good heavy bath towells/wash cloths, my computer (yes, I understand that I will be taxed 25%), my clothing, a couple of television sets, paintings my mother did some thirty years ago, some of my paintings, as many books as I can get by with, and more clothing. Hopefully, I can get all of this into a pickup truck, but if I need a utility trailer, I will buy one for the trip.

I figure that with as many retired people as there seems to be in the Lakeside area, some must be dying or moving back home for health reasons so I should be able to purchase good used furnishings if I need it. I plan to head the advice of renting, instead of buying a home, so plan to rent a furnished house first, to get the lay of the land and see which town I really want to settle in on a long term basis.

Had I not been on this computer every day, reading all of the good advice given so freely by so many nice people, I would not be as informed. So I shout to all of you, THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR ALL OF YOUR HELP! Perhaps one day we can meet for coffee or a good margarita at one of the local cafes, or perhaps we will me at the LCS at some function. I will be hungry for development of friendships.

Jack

Georgia

Jan 19, 2003, 3:30 PM

Post #7 of 43 (5113 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Jack Thompson] Yo! Mr. Thompson

Let's see: I would skip the barbeque unit, the electrical appliances (in spite of common wisdom - I had a harrowing experience with a blender I brought down), the dishes (the local product is so beautiful! and reasonable!), the patio furniture (there is cool stuff here that is pretty cheap), half of your clothing, maybe less, one tv set only, just reference books, and long underwear, but I agree with the family items, linens, Eddie the dog, and a sense of humour.

jennifer rose

Jan 19, 2003, 5:10 PM

Post #8 of 43 (5111 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Jack Thompson] Bring it all....

Can't Post |
Well, for the first time in ages, I’m going to have to disagree with Georgia. Bring down the BBQ, the electricals, the dishes, all of your clothing….and everything else except for perhaps the patio furniture. Ah heck, if you’ve got it, bring it.

Everything is available here, but when you go to replacing stuff you’ve jettisoned back in the Old Country, it can be very costly. Those propane BBQs and the small electricals are all available at Costco, but the price is very dear and the selection frequently limited.

Instead of using the utility trailer, you might consider putting some of your stuff in storage in the U.S. and making two trips. Your passage through customs may be somewhat easier that way.

Bring all of your books. One easy way to move books is by the using the USPS “M” bag rate, which you can read about on the USPS website.

Between the books and the BBQ, you and Eddie should have no problem making friends

Howard Botz

Jan 19, 2003, 6:38 PM

Post #9 of 43 (5083 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jennifer rose] Bring it all...."M bags" maybe not

I am not so sure about the shipping of book via "M" bag....

In theory it is a great idea. For $15-20 dollars US you get to ship a whole lot of books.

During the past year I have sent four shipments of books using the "M" bag route to the Lake Chapala Society. Of the four only two have made it through. The missing two have discouraged me enough to rethink if I want to keep doing this.

Howard

PeggyS

Jan 20, 2003, 1:30 AM

Post #10 of 43 (5039 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Howard Botz] M bags

We sent four M bags from Fort Lauderdale to our APDO address here in Ajijic. For that price, they have to go P.O. to P.O., they don't deliver. Why on earth would you send them to the LCS, why didn't you get a P.O. address first? All four arrived safely, of course they took forever. On the advice of the people in the FLL P.O., we put the books into small boxes, and then the boxes in the big P.O. M-bag. There is a weight limit, I think no less than 11 pounds up to no more than 60 pounds. But it has to go to an APDO address and they hold it for you. No duty on books.

Georgia

Jan 20, 2003, 6:42 AM

Post #11 of 43 (5028 views)

Shortcut

Purge Mode

Hi, Jennifer. Well, I was iimpressed by a couple I met in El Chante who sold everything and found themselves having to spend their last night in their empty house the day before closing on the sale because they needed to be near their phone. (I don't ask, I just report.) Anyway, they still had two pillows and two sleeping bags and slept on the floor. Husband looks at wife and asks, "How do you feel?" Her answer: "Free."

Yeah.

I look around at the things I have to deal with to be completely moved and the urge to buy a box of wooden matches takes over. I keep inviting our grown chidren to come and raid the house, take their inheritance now -- just take it away.

The electrical appliances that I use/need?/have are: toaster, coffee maker, microwave, iron, hair dryer, CD player, my infamous blender and a little hand mixer. No, we don't have a TV and I know a lot of people consider that a necessity. The larger appliances came with the house. But all of the stuff I schlepped could be purchased in Mexico with a lot less angst than trekking it down. And I don't think the added expense was that great as compared to the convenience. Now, if you have more exotic stuff, or expensive stuff, I guess it would make sense.

Me? I'm already planning the yard sale. Anything left over goes to charity if it's ok, to the dump if not.

My husband brought his best kitchen knives which he sharpens on a whetstone and which he treasures. I want my family photos. I will bring a laptop as well when we are finally settled once and for all.

But really, I just want less stuff in my life. George Carlin's comedy routine struck home! The truth is, the less stuff I am surrounded with, the greater sense of peace and tranquility I feel.

Free.

Uncle Jack

Jan 20, 2003, 7:20 AM

Post #12 of 43 (5029 views)

Shortcut

Glad I'm not the only one

Here I sit in a 3550 sq ft house surrounded by all of our "treasures"; furniture, appliances, art work, books, clothes for all seasons, guns, cameras, sewing machines, books, fabric, computers, fishing tackle, more books, kitchen gadgets, more cook books, dishes and silverware for 12 or 14, pots and pans, more books, tools large and small, barbecues, garden equipment, 3 cars, tennis rackets, 3 TVs, an extra refrigerator, a freezer, and boxes and boxes of crap that I haven't looked into since the last time we moved.

Patty and I started last month to divest ourselves of "Stuff". With every item that I sell or give away, I feel "lighter" and just a little bit more "free". In April we are planning the "Mother of All Garage Sales". A couple of our neighbors are joining in. We may block off the entire cul de sac.

When we move, if it don't fit into my Ford 150 pick-up and a small box trailer, it ain't coming with us!

UJ

Georgia

Jan 20, 2003, 7:50 AM

Post #13 of 43 (5010 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Uncle Jack] Glad I'm not the only one

I didn't realize that you and I occupied the same house! That sounds like our "stuff" and our "garage sale."

jennifer rose

Jan 20, 2003, 12:45 PM

Post #14 of 43 (4983 views)

Shortcut

Re: [PeggyS] M bags

Can't Post |
I have only a street address, and I've been receiving M bags at this address for a decade. When the M bag arrives at the PO, the postman delivers a slip of paper saying that there's something at the PO to be picked up, using the same form that used when there is a parcel, registered or damaged mail. And I take my little red Radio Flyer wagon up to the post office and retrieve the boxes. Another friend of mine, who does not have a Apdo. Postal either, simply hired a cab driver to go to the PO and retrieve her M bags.

Now what some people fail to do is to adequately address each and every box that goes into the M bag, thinking that the mailing label on the bag is sufficient. Well, it isn't. Each small box of books should be properly addressed, including showing the telephone number of the recipient.

jennifer rose

Jan 20, 2003, 1:22 PM

Post #15 of 43 (4999 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Uncle Jack] Glad I'm not the only one

Can't Post |
I can safely write this, because I live a distance from Ajijic. Just because you divested yourself of your chazerai before moving here, you do not have the right to borrow the stuff I brought down! Nothing irritates me more than hearing another expatriate ask to borrow this or that, because they sold theirs at a garage sale before moving here.

One bloke has asked to borrow silverware, dishes, pots and pans, linens....and just about everything that you've listed that you intend to jettison. After boasting that he'd sold some thousand videotapes at a garage sale before moving, he had the nerve to ask me to donate my collecion to the Engilsh-speaking community.

You may find uses for stuff that you never used back in the Old Country. You may find yourself pining away for something that you pitched --- but please, please don't ask your expatriate neighbors to borrow what they brought down!

Uncle Jack

Jan 20, 2003, 3:07 PM

Post #16 of 43 (4989 views)

Shortcut

Really, Jennifer.............

..........Patty and I really are not planning on camping out. We do intend to bring some of the basics; clothing, (for the area and not for three different temperature zones) bedding, good towels, linens, a reasonable amount of kitchen stuff including food processor, blender, mixer, bowls, pots, pans, utensils, dishes, silverware, and a case of spices and condiments. I couldn’t get Patty to move across the street without her sewing machine, serger, and lifetime stash of fabric, thread, patterns, and beads. I would do without Tequila before I’d give up my computer. Some books, a TV, VCR, CDs, and a few other personal items that are part of our everyday life.

I think that what I was trying to say is that we don’t need, and would not have room for all of the crap we’ve been dragging around for years. Most of our furniture would look stupid in a Mexican style house that we hope to find. Almost all of the artwork that we acquired in Montana and here would probably look a little out of place too. I don’t think that I will need a table saw, band saw, or an industrial vacuum. We don’t need 3 boxes full of painting supplies. I can probably do without 4 of the 6 fifty foot hoses that are around the house. (We had a couple of dandy forest fires last summer) I think that Patty will finally let me get rid of the exercise bicycle that neither one of us has been on for 5 years. We most likely will not have parking for 3 cars in Ajijic, or a real need for more than one of them. We may not need 3 extension ladders either.

Like a lot of people, we have probably 4 times as much “stuff” as we really need. In all honesty, much of this “stuff” has become a burden and sometimes I feel as though I am being crushed by the sheer weight of it. It’s how we were raised. Success was measured by how much crap you could accumulate, how big your TV was, how many electrical gadgets you could cram into the kitchen cabinets and never use. All those gewgaws that we bought from Williams of Sonoma and Sharper Images just look silly to me now.

At our age, this may be our last shot at a new and different life and I do not intend spend it being “owned” by our possessions. However it plays out, Jennifer, I promise that I will not come knocking at your back door asking to borrow a cup of sugar..........I’ll send Patty.

UJ

Howard Botz

Jan 20, 2003, 6:32 PM

Post #17 of 43 (4908 views)

Shortcut

Re: [PeggyS] M bags

I sent the books to the LCS because they were for the library.....why else?

ChrisB

Jan 21, 2003, 7:40 AM

Post #18 of 43 (4878 views)

Shortcut

Re:Stuff

Can't Post |
To Jack, and Uncle jack, Howard and all,

Scary when you read posts that sounds exactly like my paen to "Stuff" on the web site www.newbeginningsmexico.com

It will always be a personal decision and actually having done it I agree with you both. There are things I brought I don't need and don't use..but..I have yet to find a reading chair and ottoman for my bedroom that in any way matches the comfort and quality of the one I left behind. And I do use all the small electrical things I brought. For a dedicated cook the pots/pans etc are not the quality you get in the states. You bring what you feel you need.

Georgia

Jan 21, 2003, 10:22 AM

Post #19 of 43 (4877 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Uncle Jack] Really, Jennifer.............

Are you and Patty sure you don't live in my house? This sounds like my house.

Husband is having premature separation pangs from his antique firearms, bandsaw, shop vac, lathe and jointer/planer. I sold the three sewing machines in a yard sale. Ditto for a lot of family antiques. Brief pangs. Got over it.

My new motto is "if I don't have it I can't be responsible for producing what I could have if I had kept it." Gets me off the hook to go exploring.

I keep giving my kids my "stuff." One of them was alarmed and asked if I thought I was going to die soon ....... had to explain that, no, I was planning on finally living.

She didn't get it.

pedro naco

Jan 21, 2003, 5:16 PM

Post #20 of 43 (4827 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Georgia] Really, Jennifer.............

Can't Post |
i'm going to bring my workshop totally intact except for my work benches-i learned they're selling for about $1500 in montana-for that i'll make my own when i get there and have lotsa loot left over.

the work shop will keep me busy for the rest of my life and at the begining i'm going to use it to make our new old looking furniture and any cupboards i have to build in our new/old house.

as to other stuff, we're going to sell all our personal antique collections,dishes,garden and snow removal crap.

keeping all our cooking stuff and some of the furniture i made that's small and one antique cupboard that took me 13 yrs. to acquire AND my cycle of course.

Rolly

Jan 21, 2003, 6:30 PM

Post #21 of 43 (4823 views)

Shortcut

Re: [pedro] Really, Jennifer.............

No hocky sticks?

Rolly Pirate

pedro naco

Jan 21, 2003, 7:34 PM

Post #22 of 43 (4812 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Really, Jennifer.............

Can't Post |
oh i forgot since there are in fact a bunch of old farts playing in gaud 3 times a week i will be bringing hockey sticks and my bag full of hockey gear-if they allow noxious dangerous goods across the border.

Gone away

Jan 22, 2003, 9:04 PM

Post #23 of 43 (4761 views)

Shortcut

Re: [pedro] Really, Jennifer.............

Can't Post |
My turn to ask

WHERE is GAUD?????????

pedro naco

Jan 22, 2003, 9:22 PM

Post #24 of 43 (4757 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RM] Really, Jennifer.............

Can't Post |
short for gaudalajara-its only an hours drive to play hockey and thats what i do now where i play in edmonton-i can hardly wait!

Georgia

Jan 23, 2003, 2:09 PM

Post #25 of 43 (4694 views)

Shortcut

Gaud: with apologies to Pedro!

Guad: short for Gaudylajara: a city where every building is painted a different color and decorated in day-glo colors. The citizens dress only in tie-dyed clothing and wear jewelry made of plastic in neon tones. Tatoos, body piercings and face painting is standard among the residents.
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4