Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Southern Mexico

tonytiger

Jan 21, 2003, 8:11 AM

Post #1 of 6 (2473 views)

Shortcut

What is Chelem famous for?

Can't Post |
Celestun has the flamingos and Progreso has the malecon and ferry, Merida the ruins.

But what is there of anattraction for Chelem if any? the beach? the peace and quiet? Is it safe for foreigners?

I will do my part to get this forum back to life...

gino

Jan 21, 2003, 10:41 AM

Post #2 of 6 (2409 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tonytiger] What is Chelem famous for?

Can't Post |
Tony,

Chelem is a really small fishing town; it is very peaceful, very safe, quite and friendly. Well, it is not very quite during July and August when many people from the city (Mérida) "move" over there for summer vacations. The little town lives from small restaurants, fishermen and bricklayers that are hired by people of Merida (like myself) who own summer beach houses there. Yes, I am from Merida and I have a beach house there since 1976. There is a small Canadian village very close to Chelem's downtown and I believe it is the ideal place to live when retired. From my point of view, beaches are a lot nicer and cleaner than Progreso's and other towns west from progreso, it is not full of tourism and t-shirt stores. Also, there's a nice road that joins Chelem and Chuburna which is smaller but very nice, safe and friendly. The only problem on this region is this road for one thing: Trash. Many people from the city (excluding myself) like to throw away their trash in open spaces that are supposed to be assigned for that, but they usually "miss" the spot. I hate that and I hope we can solve that problem. Other than that, Chelem is my favorite fishing town from the Yucatan's North coast. From Progreso, it takes about 10 minutes to go there. From Mérida, there's no direct connection other than going to Progreso first (it takes about 25 minutes).

gino

Carlos

Jan 21, 2003, 3:41 PM

Post #3 of 6 (2385 views)

Shortcut

Re: [gino] What is Chelem famous for?

Can't Post |
Just like I remember it from the 60's & 70's.
Chelem has not changed much, has it?
Other than the not so new roads and restaurants, that is.
Were you born in Merida?

tonytiger

Jan 21, 2003, 10:52 PM

Post #4 of 6 (2374 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Carlos] What is Chelem famous for?

Can't Post |
Thanks for the reply....Well I plan in living in Chelem, I am a native of Puerto Rico, looking for peace and quiet, traditional....believe it or not I am from Vieques Island..

I m brown skinned, therefore I will not feel out of place and neither is my wife...I speak both languages...

Basically I have my wild side also...I need to know if there are Salsa clubs or discos near the beach area of Progreso or (obviously not Chelem) . I canot live away from the water. In the last 50 years of mylife the farthest I have been from the beach is 8 long agonizing blocks......

Thanks Tony

gino

Jan 22, 2003, 9:55 AM

Post #5 of 6 (2371 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tonytiger] What is Chelem famous for?

Can't Post |
Yes, I was born in Mérida (today's population: about 1 million people), the major commercial city in the Yucatan Península, three times separated from México in the 1840's, and completely different to the rest of México. Be careful on saying that Yucatecos and Mexicanos are the same people. We even have our own cuisine, traditions and Maya-mix words Mexicans don't use. In other words, we prefer to listen "trova and trios" than mexican mariachis; eat panuchos, salbutes and cochinita pibil rather than enchiladas, fajitas and all those things; we like to wear panama-style hats and say "mare!" to show excitement, etc...

There are salsa clubs and discos near the area of Progreso, BUT as far as I know, they only work during the summer and "Semana Santa y Pascua" like the Catholic church calls it (I think the English word is "passover" ?). However, I might be wrong and salsa clubs and discos near Progreso do work the whole year. Chelem is a great little town. Some changes since the 60's and 70's are: There are more beach houses along the coast before and after Chelem's downtown -we can say it remains unchanged, and the beach erosion really hit some of the houses located before Chelem's Downtown. I can't say the same for that part of the coast that extends as far as Chuburná and Sisal. Fewer beach houses there, but the same great beach and white sands.

If you come from Puerto Rico, I think you will probably miss the mountains. Yucatan is very flat, but wonderful caves and cenotes -subterranean rivers with cryistal waters- similar to Florida's springs, but not the same. There are some hills south and west of Mérida but that's all. :-)

Carlos

Jan 23, 2003, 1:00 PM

Post #6 of 6 (2366 views)

Shortcut

Re: [gino] What is Chelem famous for?

Can't Post |

Don't forget jaranas!
Regarding 1840's: Probably that is why the rest
of Mexico often times labels yucatecos as separatistas! Like the
Vascos in Spain. The difference is the formers are peace loving
warm boxitos/as lindos/as hermosos/as!
Sounds more like Maaaaaré! What about fo, ni modos, voy a wishear?(sp?)
Regional yucatecan manjares such as mucbipollo, frijol con puerco y
sopa de lima! Don't forget those!
Semana Santa is Easter Sunday in (catholic) english norteamerica celebrated
as Domingo de Palmas in catholic LA if I'm not mistaken. I stand corrected
though
Passover is probably the best known of the Jewish holidays, mostly because
it ties in with Christian history (the Last Supper was apparently a Passover seder),
and because a lot of its observances have been reinterpreted by Christians as Messianic
and signs of Jesus. The primary observances of Passover are related to the Exodus from
Egypt after 400 years of slavery. The name "Passover" refers to the fact that God "passed over"
the houses of the Jews when he was slaying the firstborn of Egypt. So is written...
But I digress as usual but I blame it on the Xtabentúm on the rocks!

(A)dios y que le vaya bien
y disculpas por alejarme del tema!

In Reply To
Yes, I was born in Mérida (today's population: about 1 million people), the major commercial city in the Yucatan Península, three times separated from México in the 1840's, and completely different to the rest of México. Be careful on saying that Yucatecos and Mexicanos are the same people. We even have our own cuisine, traditions and Maya-mix words Mexicans don't use. In other words, we prefer to listen "trova and trios" than mexican mariachis; eat panuchos, salbutes and cochinita pibil rather than enchiladas, fajitas and all those things; we like to wear panama-style hats and say "mare!" to show excitement, etc...

There are salsa clubs and discos near the area of Progreso, BUT as far as I know, they only work during the summer and "Semana Santa y Pascua" like the Catholic church calls it (I think the English word is "passover" ?). However, I might be wrong and salsa clubs and discos near Progreso do work the whole year. Chelem is a great little town. Some changes since the 60's and 70's are: There are more beach houses along the coast before and after Chelem's downtown -we can say it remains unchanged, and the beach erosion really hit some of the houses located before Chelem's Downtown. I can't say the same for that part of the coast that extends as far as Chuburná and Sisal. Fewer beach houses there, but the same great beach and white sands.

If you come from Puerto Rico, I think you will probably miss the mountains. Yucatan is very flat, but wonderful caves and cenotes -subterranean rivers with cryistal waters- similar to Florida's springs, but not the same. There are some hills south and west of Mérida but that's all. :-)

(This post was edited by Carlos on Jan 23, 2003, 1:17 PM)

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4