Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring

mavier

Jan 20, 2003, 10:37 AM

Post #1 of 6 (7552 views)

Shortcut

Required Visa

Can't Post |
After much research and deliberation I am planning a move to Mexico this summer. My main reasons are : tired of the rat race, less and less tolerance for Canadian winters and my Mexican wife's longing for her family and home land. I am an Interior Designer and own a kitchen design studio. Once in Mexico I plan on starting a business retailing home furniture and offering design service. The Mexican Consulate has informed us that we automatically qualify for FM2 Visa and we cannot import our car. Would I be able to separately apply for FM3 Visa in order to import my car? Does the fact that my wife is Mexican exclude me from applying for any other Visa? Based on my planned business venture there,is one Visa more advantageous than the other? Thank you in advance.

Rox Anne

Jan 21, 2003, 9:39 AM

Post #2 of 6 (7438 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mavier] Required Visa

Can't Post |
Interesting ! At which consulate did you go ? Did they ask you about a regular monthly income when in Mexico ? I am in a similar situation and have been told I should apply for the FM-3. The major difference is the time you are allowed outside Mexico but I don't have the exact info on this. Maybe Jennifer Rose could help with this one..... About importing the car and all it involves, what if the papers of the car are at the name of your wife (mexican)??

jennifer rose

Jan 21, 2003, 1:18 PM

Post #3 of 6 (7411 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rox Anne] Required Visa

Can't Post |
Under the FM-3:

1. The holder can keep a foreign-plated car so long as the FM-3 is valid.

2. There is no limitation as to time spent out of the country.

3. The application process is easier. Application can be made stateside at the Mexican Consulate or within Mexico.

4. The minimum monthly income requirement is not less than 250 times the minimum wage in the Federal District.

4. The application and annual renewal fees for the FM-3 are less than for the FM-2.

The fees are:

Reception of FM3 documents $365
FM3 no inmigrante (retired) & renewal $963
FM3 no inmigrante (working) & renewal $1,563
Replacement of lost FM3 no inmigrante $391

5. After the fifth renewal, the holder must apply for a new FM-3. This process could be repeated for the rest of the holder's days in Mexico. The FM-3 is a one-year residency permit, renewable, and nothing more.

Under the FM-2:

1. The holder can keep a foreign-plated car for 5 years, and after the final inmigado status has been granted, the car must be removed from the country.

2. There are limitations as to the time which the holder may spend out of the country. The FM-2 holder’s time out of the country is limited to 18 months within the 5-year period.

3. The application is a more detailed process, and greater scrutiny is paid to supporting documentation. The minimum monthly income requirement is not less than 400 times the minimum wage in the Federal District.

4. The charges are:

FM2 inmigrante (retired & working) $2,083
FM2 inmigrante (retired & working) renewal $2,084
FM2 inmigrado $2,540
Reception of FM2 inmigrado documents $684
Replacement of lost FM2 inmigrante $625
Replacement of lost FM2 inmigrado $938

5. The FM-2 is the immigration category which leads to the "E" ticket. After the completion of annual FM-2 renewals, the holder may apply to become inmigrado, which is a permanent immigration status granting all rights except the right to vote, run for political office, and some other rights which can be exercised only by Mexican citizens.

MM

Jan 21, 2003, 2:01 PM

Post #4 of 6 (7393 views)

Shortcut

Costs for FM-3 ??

Can't Post |
"The fees are:

Reception of FM3 documents $365
FM3 no inmigrante (retired) & renewal $963
FM3 no inmigrante (working) & renewal $1,563
Replacement of lost FM3 no inmigrante $391"

These numbers are confusing to me. Are they Us$? What does "reception" for $365 mean? Does renewal each year cost $963 US dollars?

tonyburton / Moderator

Jan 21, 2003, 3:13 PM

Post #5 of 6 (7380 views)

Shortcut

Re: All costs are in pesos (no msg)

Can't Post | Private Reply

mavier

Jan 21, 2003, 4:11 PM

Post #6 of 6 (7383 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rox Anne] Required Visa

Can't Post |
About a year ago we checked with the Toronto consulate and the person we spoke with emphasized FM2 Visa and "no car".The monthly income was probably mentioned but to tell you the truth I don't recall precisely. Now that I have more information (thanks to Jennifer Rose) I will approach the consulate again.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4