First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

•Hank•

Jan 19, 2003, 9:43 PM

Post #1 of 27 (13333 views)

Shortcut

It Works...It Works!!!

Can't Post |
Oh..man..

I just got back from the states a couple of days ago. I decided to bring with me a direct tv receiver. It works fine folks..I get all my channels like back home. Setting it up was easy. I just bought a dish in gdl for 200 pesos and wired up the receiver.

This is great. I'm wondering if anyone has done this before.

Regards....

Hank

gkrause

Jan 23, 2003, 9:06 AM

Post #2 of 27 (12891 views)

Shortcut

Re: [•Hank•] It Works...It Works!!!

Can't Post |
I have been selling most of my stuff before I come to Ajijic in a few months and then I went outside and looked up at my satelite dish on the roof and then remembered your post. How did you find the right position for the dish and how do you keep the card alive. It sounds like a great idea to me.

Bill Phillips

Jan 23, 2003, 12:52 PM

Post #3 of 27 (12861 views)

Shortcut

Re: [gkrause] It Works...It Works!!!

Can't Post |
Try this Web Site for the proper angles. No idea re programing the card.

http://www.kusat.com/go.php?path=/install/calculator.php

gkrause

Jan 23, 2003, 3:33 PM

Post #4 of 27 (12806 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Bill Phillips] It Works...It Works!!!

Can't Post |
Thanks Bill. I checked it. Just what the computer and tv doctor ordered.

johanson / Moderator

Jan 23, 2003, 9:12 PM

Post #5 of 27 (12760 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post | Private Reply
Hank. If I understand you correctly, you are receiving DirecTV USA not latin America DirecTV with a 200 peso Satellite dish in Guadalajara, and you asked if anyone else was doing this. Some four years ago many of us were trying this. We only got about half of the channels using an 8 foot offset dish. Recently DirecTV began to use spot beams for most of its local area network channels According to the published footprints, none of these spot beams reach even halfway from the border to here.

Local Satellite dealers say that there is no way one can get even 50% of the US DirecTV channels down here any more. I sure hope they are wrong and you are right. They're saying that the only English language small dish system that works this far south is the Canadian Star Choice System.

How big is the dish you are using? How many channels are you getting? This is breaking news if I understood you correctly and I would love to include it in a future Tech Talk article in the Guadalajara Reporter

johanson@cnw.com

Gary sculptari

Jan 23, 2003, 9:58 PM

Post #6 of 27 (12748 views)

Shortcut

Re: Superbowl

Can't Post |
Its settled - Hank's house for the SuperBowl!

Ed

Jan 24, 2003, 5:05 AM

Post #7 of 27 (12740 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
Hank I was told to bring my receivers for my tvs.Get the transmiters off of my dish here.This is for dish network,digital system.They would hook up a 4ft. dish,and I would get the same channels as I get in the states.They would re-install the transmiters that I bring down on the 4ft. dish.All I have to do is pay dish network like a year in advance.It would be as if I never had moved there.I would have the same channels there as I have here now.That is what I'm going to do.The cost to hook up tvs and dish on roof $250.00.

johanson / Moderator

Jan 24, 2003, 11:29 AM

Post #8 of 27 (12667 views)

Shortcut

Hank: This is Pete again. I've got 4 different type satellite receivers all working in Ajijic. I have both digital C and Ku band (4DTV-922) Ku Star Choice receiver, an anolog GI for both C and Ku and an Mpeg2 receiver. I gave up DirecTV here in Ajijic for the same reason most everyone else has.

After reading your entry several days ago, I became very excited thinking maybe there had been a change. I've talked to several Sat dealers and they all say the same thing. Your DirecTV dish although pointing at one spot in the sky, is really pointing at three satellites DirecTV 1R, 2,& 4S One of these satellites has a footprint that reaches this far south, the second is marginal and the 3rd doesn't even come close.

So they say when you set up your system, you're going to be real happy when some of the channels come in loud and clear. But when you begin to search for the other channels, you are not going to be a happy camper. That is the way it was several years ago. Therefore no one is using US DirecTV this far south. Closer to the border it works fine.

I hope things have changed since I last checked. I hope that the satellite dealers are wrong and that you are correct. I hope you are getting good reception on all of the channels. I'm hoping you will be responding to tell us that with your very large dish (how big is your dish?) you are able to get all of the channels

johanson@cnw.com

johanson / Moderator

Jan 24, 2003, 11:34 AM

Post #9 of 27 (12660 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johanson] It Works...It Works!!!

PS I have only tested the US DirecTV system. I'm told although, I have not confirmed that Dish has a slightly stronger signal this far south, but still not with sufficient strength to bring in all of the channels

Rolly

Jan 24, 2003, 2:30 PM

Post #10 of 27 (12647 views)

Shortcut

You might want to talk with Ricardo GonzŠlez Fonseca at monterrey@dbstv.com.

He offers a service for US versions of DirectTV and DishTV in Mexico. He fixed me up with a 1.8 meter dish and DishTV here in Lerdo (Torreon), which is, of course, a good bit north of you guys.

Rolly Pirate

parvati

Jan 24, 2003, 3:23 PM

Post #11 of 27 (12629 views)

Shortcut

Pete : Can you go into some detail about the Mpeg2 system you are using.. I'm just now starting to read up on it here.. Are there encryption issues regarding the programming ? Do you subscribe to a service or just point it and start viewing ? What size antenna are you using for the Mpeg2 and which birds are you able to pull programing from ? I've seen Mpeg2 receivers on eBay at decent prices. Need help figuring out what hardware to try and bring when we move to Joco later this year..

Thanks !

Garrett in Florida

johanson / Moderator

Jan 24, 2003, 3:32 PM

Post #12 of 27 (12638 views)

Shortcut

Re: [parvati] It Works...It Works!!!

Rather than stealing all of the thunder from one of the most knowledgeable persons around, Mike Kohl, I would suggest you go to his website and check out his mpeg-2 section. His address is

http://global-cm.net/ He covers everything. All you need is a standard sized dish for both C band and Ku and there are tons of programs many in the clear you can pick up on almost every satellite

parvati

Jan 24, 2003, 3:58 PM

Post #13 of 27 (12621 views)

Shortcut

Thanks for the info and link Pete !! Just what I was looking for .. That's an impressive antenna farm that Mike and Laurel have ..

Garrett in Florida

johanson / Moderator

Jan 24, 2003, 7:42 PM

Post #14 of 27 (12591 views)

Shortcut

Re: [parvati] It Works...It Works!!!

Just thought that you would want to know that when I went to your hotmail address this is what I got ---- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors -----

parvizmo****@hotmail.com
(reason: 550 Requested action not taken: mailbox unavailable)

XXXX= I replaced the last several letters of your user name with **** just in case you don't want it published

parvati

Jan 24, 2003, 8:29 PM

Post #15 of 27 (12576 views)

Shortcut

Hmmm... No hotmail account here .. our email is parvatihsd@earthlink.net and no we don't have a problem putting it out on this list.. My spam filter does pretty good job..

Thanks Pete ..

Garrett in Florida

Mister.Bill

Jan 25, 2003, 8:45 AM

Post #16 of 27 (12572 views)

Shortcut

Re: [parvati] It Works...It Works!!!....BUT now what will the canucks do?

Can't Post |
Starchoice future is in doubt!!

http://www.canadian-tv.com/...5&o=&fpart=1

DISH2000

Jan 26, 2003, 7:33 PM

Post #17 of 27 (12513 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Mister.Bill] It Works...It Works!!!....BUT now what will the canucks do?

Can't Post |
Great article, but bad news. If Starchoice goes down the drain, So will alot of people Tvīs here at Lakeside. I predicted this might happen. They are trying to run it like a cable tv company. The problem to cover the costs of Up/Down links via satellite to a cable box receiver cost lots of $$$$$. They are going to have to doubt their rates, Get rid of this FREE subscribion to other recievers in the same house hold, Better cliental relations and get some BETTER PROGRAMING!!!! The concept is cute, But they have to go a long way yet to clean up house.... DISH2000

DISH2000

Jan 26, 2003, 7:36 PM

Post #18 of 27 (12503 views)

Shortcut

Re: [gkrause] It Works...It Works!!!

Can't Post |
Better leave it at home, Try bring down a dish Network!!! The signal is stronger and programing is better than Starchoice.......DISH2000

DISH2000

Jan 26, 2003, 7:44 PM

Post #19 of 27 (12510 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Bill Phillips] It Works...It Works!!!

Can't Post |
This site is fine if you are up in the States or Canada. You need to check out a better site to see if the signal is going to be aceptible in your area in MEXICO. The problem is the FOOTPRINT, Please check out what the Engineers use. WWW.LYNGSAT.COM or for the Dircect TV satellite North American system. WWW.DBSTV.COM/SATFOOT1.HTM The quality of this site is a bit poor. But you get the gust of it..........DISH2000

K&D

Mar 25, 2003, 4:46 PM

Post #20 of 27 (12300 views)

Shortcut

Re: [DISH2000] It Works...It Works!!!

You may have a point. http://www.lyngsat.com/maps/echo7.gif might indicate focused DishNetwork services in the Guadalajara / Mexico City area.

johanson / Moderator

Mar 25, 2003, 7:39 PM

Post #21 of 27 (12294 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Debra Dacus] It Works...It Works!!!

Thanks for the input. The footprint you mentioned for THE DISH NETWORK is the spot beam footprint, not the national or conus footprint. Spot beams bring local programs to small areas. The national beam does reach the Lake Chapala area. I have watched the feed on a 4 or 5 foot Ku band dish in Chapala. I went through all of the channels listed in Satellite Orbit magazine in the Dish section. Some 95% of those shown in the magazine came in loud and clear.

I bet the reason they are no longer showing the national footprint is the same reason XMradio doesn't. They don't want folks in our area knowing that we can watch US programming down here in central Mexico.

I can't find any footprints of the CONUS or NATIONAL feeds for the the Dish (EchoStar 6 and 8) satellites at 110 degrees W. I'm sure they are out there somewhere. Keep on looking. I know it used to be out there

(This post was edited by johanson on Mar 25, 2003, 7:43 PM)

K&D

Mar 26, 2003, 8:34 AM

Post #22 of 27 (12283 views)

Shortcut

Check here for 7 conus: http://www.lyngsat.com/echo7.shtml

Likewise, 8 is here (with no map links): http://www.lyngsat.com/echo8.shtml

johanson / Moderator

Mar 26, 2003, 9:41 AM

Post #23 of 27 (12282 views)

Shortcut

The trouble is Debra, the same map comes up showing spot beams even when it says Conus. So regardless of what the link says, what we are looking at is a spot-beam footprint map.

A conus beam would look more like

http://www.dbstv.com/Nimiq-1.htm This is for Bell Expressvu not Dish. The footprint map for Dish would cover all of the US not just spots, and much of Southern Canada and Northern Mexico. Not just spots.

But you can see the difference. Typically a spot beam will deliver about 10 or so channels to you while the national or Conus beam will deliver several 100

K&D

Mar 26, 2003, 12:16 PM

Post #24 of 27 (12274 views)

Shortcut

Thank you very much. I'm still deciding on whether to bring the Dish and receiver (and TiVO) or not.

johanson / Moderator

Mar 26, 2003, 12:44 PM

Post #25 of 27 (12272 views)

Shortcut

You might as well bring it with you. It will work in much of Mexico. You might need a bigger dish. You won't get your local channels.

I'm assuming you will be moving to the Chapala area not to southern Mexico. If you are moving to Southern Mexico, Dish may not reach that far, I don't know. I just know that it works within several hundred miles of here and to the North between Guadalajara and the States

(This post was edited by johanson on Mar 26, 2003, 1:48 PM)
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4