Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

gfarmer

Jan 17, 2003, 8:47 PM

Post #1 of 5 (3745 views)

Shortcut

Life in Colima

Can't Post |
We are contemplating a move to the city of Colima, Mx., We have been there for brief periods and it appears to be a beautiful clean city, just hope someone has more in depth experience to share. We would appreciate comments from anyone who has experience or knowledge of the area. Is there an English speaking community, good hospitals, doctors, entertainment, etc.,

Thanks, GF

sparks

Jan 17, 2003, 9:35 PM

Post #2 of 5 (3575 views)

Shortcut

Re: [gfarmer] Life in Colima

Can't Post |
I always refer people to Don Porters web site on Colima

http://www.donporter.net/Colima/indexColima.htm

I thought he had an article or two on MexConnect but don't find them

I just got off the bus and did a few circles in the parking lot on the way to Manzanillo ... but the countryside is beautiful. Some say very hot in the summer.

tonyburton

Jan 18, 2003, 7:17 AM

Post #3 of 5 (3532 views)

Shortcut

And, don't forget the Mexico Connect "special" on Colima:

Can't Post | Private Reply
at

http://www.mexconnect.com/...ima/colimaindex.html

Lots of articles about the whole state. Enjoy!

wendy devlin

Jan 19, 2003, 11:11 AM

Post #4 of 5 (3462 views)

Shortcut

Hola

>We would appreciate comments from anyone who has experience or knowledge of the area. Is there an English speaking community, good hospitals, doctors, entertainment

Since my articles are among those in the Mexconnect Colima issue, I would like to expand on that information.

I wrote the series of articles to encourage people to visit, what is to us, an interesting and beautiful region in Mexico. However from feedback obtained through personal emails, I get the impression that people could misintrepret some of my description.

After all it's difficult to 'paint' in words, the whole picture. Even if I had one;^)

Here's a bit more info.

English-speaking community

Colima is a university city. As such there are many students, teachers, professionals who have learned to speak some English. However since there seems to be few native English speakers relocated there, it is likely to be a complete immersion experience for non-Spanish speaking newcomers. When staying in Colima, I find it necessary to almost completely speak in Spanish... outside of contact with people connected to the university or tourism.

It would therefore be quite a different kind of experience from places like Laguna Chapala, Guadalajara, San Miguel de Allende, Mexican beach cities etc. where there are sizeable foreign populations.

Besides socializing with Mexicans, we also met several German and Austrians who have married Mexicans and are long-term residents of Colima. Even though we met these people in different places and circumstances, they all seemed to 'know' of each other. Being a small city may contribute to foreigner interconnection.

Also the Rotary has a project called Project Amigo in which international volunteers stay for work programs near Suchitlán. Again I ran into English speaking residents in connection with this program.

Hospitals

Colima has several private hospitals and the large, newer University of Colima Hospital.

As doctors and staff generally serve a Mexican population, you may find it more difficult to locate a doctor who speaks excellent English here than other places in Mexico. Our daughter was a patient in the University hospital last year. It was necessary to speak Spanish with everyone except one of the female administrators.

Entertainment

One of my favorite subjects!

I find Colima a very entertaining place. In my experience people from Colima are very social and dedicate a good part of life to enjoying themselves. There are many botaneros familiares that seem to go six days a week. These restaurant-dance spots open in the afternoon and generally close around around seven pm. Dancing every afternoon, my kind of place!

You buy the drinks, (pop, beer etc.) and endless botanas( snacks) arrive on your table. Live music plays Mexican music of different genres. Business people take a break mid-day, along with students etc. Then they return to work/studies in the evening. There are also several night-clubs in the city but I have not been to them. I would tend to think that they cater to a young crowd.

Colima always seems to have cultural events, expositions, ferias and fiestas going on, at least during the winter months when we have stayed there. Also since there are so many rivers and and lakes in the area, there are many outdoor picnic spots. Families frequently go there, pay a small entrance fee and stay for the day.

Saludos Wendy

Estanislao

Jan 22, 2003, 7:20 AM

Post #5 of 5 (3377 views)

Shortcut

. . . can be shaky from time to time . . .
--
"It is advisable to look from the tide pool to the stars and then back to the tide pool again."
John Steinbeck and Ed Ricketts - The Log From The Sea Of Cortez
--
Estanislao

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4