Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > North Pacific Region

Bill N

Jan 17, 2003, 12:14 AM

Post #1 of 9 (6830 views)

Shortcut

Mazatlan budget hotels

Can't Post |
Please forgive my ignorance but I've never been to Mazatlan and would like to know what kind of amenities the modestly priced hotels offer. For instance, are the rooms normally equipped with reading lamps, etc. I've looked through the archives and read several travel guides regarding some of the hotels but the information is somewhat limited. Someone in the archives pointed out that the Bel Mar was on a busy, noisy street and it sounded as if crossing that street to reach the beach may be somewhat of a task. I'd like to find a quiet, reasonably priced hotel near the central area which is fairly close to a friendly beach. I'm going to be there on Jan 28th. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Can't wait to get out from under the Oregon gloom. I'm really excited.

Thanks, Bill

John Ferguson

Jan 17, 2003, 8:18 PM

Post #2 of 9 (6653 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Bill N] Mazatlan budget hotels

Can't Post |
I have travelled to Mazatlan seven times since 1991. Of those seven visits, the last five have included stays at the Hotel Belmar. The place has a funky charm to it, but everytime I visit there are plenty of people staying there. The rates over the Christmas holidays were $32 USD for an oceanview room, and $25 USD for a interior (courtyard) room.

The street in front of the hotel is not exceedingly busy, nor is it terribly noisy. The weekends can sometime get boisterous, but we're mainly talking music spilling out of a nearby restaurant/bar. If noise is a concern, choose an interior room, and you'll sleep like a baby.

If you want to go to the beach, there's one right in front of the hotel. Just cross the street and you're practically there. I prefer Playa Bruja myself, but it's quite a ways north.

If you want to be able to read, the Belmar has a quiet pool area (not that many kids there on January 28, I would guess), plus lots of oversize rocking chairs near the front desk. No reading lamps, but the two aforementioned might be an alternative.

Two other hotels are nearby. The La Siesta is slightly more expensive, while the Posada Freeman is a newly renovated 5-star hotel.

Mazatlan awaits you!

Bill N

Jan 18, 2003, 2:17 AM

Post #3 of 9 (6611 views)

Shortcut

Re: [John Ferguson] Mazatlan budget hotels

Can't Post |
Thanks John,

I think I'll give the Belmar a try. I'm a little suprised at the rates, I was under the impression that they were somewhat less.

John Ferguson

Jan 18, 2003, 9:01 AM

Post #4 of 9 (6604 views)

Shortcut

Rates at the Belmar

Can't Post |
Yeah, I was a little surprised with the rates at the Belmar. They are approximately $5 USD higher than in years past, but I guess they're charging what the maket will bear. It may be possible that the rates come down in the off-season.

One plus about the Belmar is that even though it's a budget hotel, they still accept credit cards. I learned a lesson a while back that not every place (mainly smaller towns) accepts plastic, which can be an inconvenience if you're used to charging things.

I think you'll really enjoy the ambience of the Olas Altas section of Mazatlan. It has a really laid-back feel to it. And you are only mere blocks from the beautiful and historic downtown.

Brian In The Army

Jan 27, 2003, 5:55 AM

Post #5 of 9 (6524 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Bill N] Mazatlan budget hotels

Can't Post |
I stayed at the Belmar in October. I asked for a cheaper interior room. They showed me both and offered me the oceanfront for thr same 190 pesos. I guess they did that because the interior rooms have ac which costs the hotle money to run.

I stayed at La Siesta the first time I came to Mazatlan. On my second trip, I stayed at the Belmar. The Belmar is a nostalgia buff's dream. You almost feel like you are in the past when you walk down the halls or in the lobby.

The Olas Altas area has great expats and locals who will make you feel welcome.

mullet34

Jan 30, 2003, 1:45 PM

Post #6 of 9 (6462 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Brian In The Army] Mazatlan budget hotels

Can't Post |
We stayed in the BelMar last March. When I called a week before to make reservations, the quoted price was $5 a night less than when we actually got there. We were a day late so they had cancelled them. We also had a very hard time getting ANY hot water in our room. Other than that, it was great. If you are looking to be near the action, you are pretty far from the touristy/Spring Break hotels. Still, its a nice place. I would recommend calling for reservations ahead and saving a few bucks. Cafe de Lech next door has great food too.

thigl

Feb 2, 2003, 9:07 PM

Post #7 of 9 (6451 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mullet34] Mazatlan budget hotels

Can't Post |
I've read everyone's info and am wanting to give the Belmar and Mazatlan a try (I'm a diehard PV fan) but need to know if the place stays reasonable during spring break time, especially the Belmar. Anyone know? Say beginning March 17 for about a week.

mullet34

Feb 3, 2003, 11:49 AM

Post #8 of 9 (6440 views)

Shortcut

Re: [thigl] Mazatlan budget hotels

Can't Post |
We stayed there during Spring Break last year. Ocean View rooms were $35. Call ahead for reservations and you should be able to knock a few bucks off that.

Bill N

Feb 8, 2003, 9:25 PM

Post #9 of 9 (6415 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mullet34] Mazatlan budget hotels

Can't Post |
Hi, I just got back from Mazatlan and the Belmar. The hotel is somewhat rundown but the service is good and the prices reasonable. I stayed in one of the courtyard rooms for the first two days but the air conditioning wasn't working and the ceiling fan sounded like a rock crusher so I decided to move to an ocean front room. I'm glad I did: the view is nice, the bathrooms have a window to an airshaft so that when the door or window to the balcony is open there is a nice airflow. It IS somewhat noisy, especially thursday through saturday when there is music in several of the local cafes, but it quiets down about 1 am and the surf muffles some of the noise too. The price for the inner room was 250 pesos, the ocean front was 320 pesos. Be sure and pay in pesos because the hotel only gives about 9.2 pesos per dollar while the official rate is around 10.7. The rooms are paneled with dark wood so the single light doesn't really do it for reading but I was able to read quite easily on the balcony with that light on. The local cafes have decent food, there is an internet cafe around the corner to the left of the hotel, the Plazuela Machado is just a few blocks away with good restaurants, there is a Panama bakery two blocks down with great pastries for cheap. Buses run right by the hotel if you want to go to Playa Norte or the Golden Zone. (Sabalo Centro bus - 7 pesos) Goes by the Market first then north and returns to the Market area, about 1/2 mile walk back to the hotel. I'll stay at the Belmar on my next trip to Mazatlan. By the way, the room rates jump up to 1000 pesos per night during Carneval so that isn't probably the best time to do budget traveling in Mazatlan. I want to thank everybody for their input before I went down, it was very helpful.

Bill

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4