Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > General Forum

jennifer rose

Jan 3, 2003, 5:22 PM

Post #1 of 23 (6673 views)

Shortcut

Misconceptions about Mexico (Theater of the Absurd)

Can't Post |
What’s the most absurd remark you’ve heard about life in Mexico? Here are some that I’ve heard, which just won’t leave my head:

1. “Is the 4th of July a big deal in Mexico?” (from a district court judge)

2. “Do they wear clothes in Mexico? I mean, like we do.” (from a civil engineer)

3. “Better not stay too long in Mexico, or you could lose your U.S. citizenship.” (New York lawyer)

4. “Wow! Living in Mexico means you don’t have to pay taxes!” (another lawyer)

5. “Foreigners can’t own real estate in Mexico” (too many sources)

Ed

Jan 4, 2003, 7:35 AM

Post #2 of 23 (6200 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jennifer rose] Misconceptions about Mexico (Theater of the Absurd)

Can't Post |
I guess this 4th I will have lost my us citizenship,after 4 mos.in mexico.So I will give back my home I just bought to the government,save all the money i've made by not paying tax's & run around Ajijic naked,the people there will surely know what happened to me,hehehehe.

The Old Gringo

Jan 4, 2003, 7:38 AM

Post #3 of 23 (6191 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
Wow! Mexico man, it's like a whole other country!

So you spend a lot of time in Mexico, that means you speak Puerto Rican pretty good? (a cop)

Do you speak Mexican?

Don't you worry you'll get robbed?

I'm sure more will occur to me!

TOG

keith

Jan 4, 2003, 9:49 AM

Post #4 of 23 (6137 views)

Shortcut

Re: [The Old Gringo] Misconceptions about Mexico (Theater of the Absurd)

Can't Post |
"'Quien sabe?' that's what all you Mexicans say." Hoppalong Cassidy.

"Well, if you are federales, where are your badges?" Treasure of the Sierra Madre

From a guy without a shirt I gave a ride to in El Paso: "Mexicans are gross, man, but the Eyetalians gross out even the Mexicans."

Turnabout is fair play: I had a Mexican suggest to me that we weren't getting any rain because the gringos were stopping it up at the border.

Rolly

Jan 4, 2003, 10:12 AM

Post #5 of 23 (6138 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post | Private Reply
These are from friends and family:

"Do they have the same kind of electricity there?"

"Do they have turkey and everything for Thanksgiving?"

"When is Christmas?"

"What if you get sick? Do they have real doctors and hospitals?"

And my favorite from a friend who had just seen pictures of my house: "I'm so glad to see you have a real floor; I was afraid you'd be in a house with dirt floors."

Rolly Pirate

lin robinson

Jan 4, 2003, 10:38 AM

Post #6 of 23 (6118 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
Why do they have so many songs about cortisone?

Are ALL Mexican dogs named "Fuera"?

(Actually, number 4 is sort of true...if you live in Mexico over a year you can be exempt from U.S. taxes.)

Papirex

Jan 4, 2003, 12:49 PM

Post #7 of 23 (6089 views)

Shortcut

A friend asked, "You automatically became a Mexican citizen when you married a Mexican didn't you? No? Well she automatically became an American citizen when you got married didn't she? No? Oh, I thought it worked just like in Canada. You know, if you had married a Canadian, you would automatically be a Canadian citizen." Me: Groooan.
"The supreme happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved" - Victor Hugo

MarisolEnPlayas

Jan 4, 2003, 2:23 PM

Post #8 of 23 (6082 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
I love these...I found myself laughing so hard!

Okay...here's mine.

1. So, how do the computers work down there? (a co-worker from another department that answers technical questions for power supplies)

2. Don't they eat dog meat there? (A Chicana that worked at a grocery store)

3. Can't you afford to live in the U.S.? (The Executive assistant to our President-our company has two factories in TJ)

4. So does your husband cheat, cause I hear all Mexican men cheat? (a 50 year old woman at work who's husband left her for a gal he met on the web)

5.Aren't you afraid of getting one of those diseases living there? (can't recall who said this)

6. But my all time favorite said in a whisper on the trolley one day was an American White guy that told me he wished they handed out towels at the border for all the wetbacks that enter illegally. At which I repeated his statement loudly and he hunched down in his seat. The entire trolley was almost all Mexicans and they were glaring at him.

scott

Jan 4, 2003, 10:08 PM

Post #9 of 23 (6033 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
"Man, I have no interest in going to Mexico. I would never go there. They have all kinds of wierd bugs, they'll kill you. I'm serious, I saw it on TV".

(This post was edited by scott on Jan 4, 2003, 10:08 PM)

Alteño

Jan 5, 2003, 11:55 PM

Post #10 of 23 (5930 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jennifer rose] Misconceptions and Misperceptions about Mexico (Theater of the Absurd)

Can't Post |
Jennifer,

There are a few more, from a Mexican perspective:
  • There is a "Typical Mexican" that is representative of Mexicans in general.
  • Everybody in México rides horses/donkeys and carries a bottle of tequila.
  • Salsa (or any other Afro-Caribbean music) is Mexican music.
  • All Mexicans are like the gang members portrayed in Hollywood movies.
  • The (offensive) image of a man with a hat laying against a cactus plant.
  • Mixing up charro and flamenco music and outfits.
  • Everybody is corrupt in México.
  • There are no book stores or libraries in México.
  • All Mexicans are thieves who pray on foreigners.
  • The Big-Box stores and chains are sponsored and kept in business mainly by foreigners.
  • All you read about México in U.S. or Canada newspapers is true.
  • The upper-class neighbourhoods in Mexican cities are mostly inhabited by foreigners.
  • All Mexicans are under-educated, poor, peasants.
  • Yellow-colored flowers are associated with death by Mexicans.
  • Anything typical of a place in México is representative of all México.
  • What passes as "Mexican food" in restaurants in foreign countries or in books written by foreigners, is actually Mexican food.
  • All Mexicans play the guitar and sing and dance at the smallest provocation.
  • There are "Mexican Neighbourhoods" in México.
  • Foreigners spend more money in México than Mexicans.
  • Et cetera...

sfmacaws

Jan 6, 2003, 1:11 AM

Post #11 of 23 (5923 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
All rich Mexicans and all US citizens have to have bodyguards in Mexico, otherwise you will be kidnapped. This was on an RV board.

scott

Jan 6, 2003, 8:40 AM

Post #12 of 23 (5888 views)

Shortcut

Kidnapping

Can't Post |
All rich Mexicans and all US citizens have to have bodyguards in Mexico, otherwise you will be kidnapped. This was on an RV board.

Actually, I'm inclined to believe this one myself. It is the country with the second most kidnappings in the world, right up there with Colombia after all.

That said I know of rich Mexicans who don't have body guards, but really I don't think this assumption is that far fetched. I guess it depends on what you consider rich.

Dave-Mtl

Jan 6, 2003, 9:06 AM

Post #13 of 23 (5879 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
-Comments received from friends and colleagues about my travelling alone in central Mexico -- away from the beach resorts.

1) "It must be very inpoverished and backward in the center.
What is there possibly to see?"

2) "Where will you be able to eat, and what will you be served? I guess just beans and rice."

3) "You used buses to get around? Weren't they full of chickens and goats?"

4) On commenting on the efficiency and comfort of the buses: "Oh well they must do that in order to keep the tourists happy."

5) "My wife and I worry about you every time you go there. We're afraid you're going to be kidnapped."

-Overheard in a hotel resataurant near Uxmal by tourists:
"I never tip for anything. If you do'they' will all expect it."

I love this thread.

arbon

Jan 6, 2003, 9:46 AM

Post #14 of 23 (5857 views)

Shortcut

Re: [scott] Kidnapping

Can't Post |
"It is the country with the second most kidnappings in the world, right up there with Colombia after all."

Ergo:.. there are not enough bodyguards or the bodyguards are doing the kidnapping.Shocked

Mereja

Jan 6, 2003, 10:19 AM

Post #15 of 23 (5860 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Dave-Mtl] Misconceptions about Mexicans living in the US

Can't Post |
They all marry fat, white women and drive cameros or big, tall trucks.

They must of met their white wives in sleezy bars.

All Mexicans here or there have 10 or more kids.

My mother was going to try to play a song on the piano from a song book, but said she couldn't, because she needed the songbook in english.

Dave-Mtl

Jan 6, 2003, 10:33 AM

Post #16 of 23 (5855 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
I thought of another while at lunch (and this one was repeated to me many times by many different people:

"I bet you got laid a lot. 'They' will do ANYTHING for just a buck or two."

awcharro

Jan 6, 2003, 6:27 PM

Post #17 of 23 (5797 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
Some Americans have told me these things (which was their opinion, of course) about Mexican citizens who live in the United States:

"They are stealing all of our jobs!" (Yeah, all the good jobs, like picking oranges and apples, working in the slaughter houses, cleaning office buildings at 2 in the morning, etc.)

"They are selling drugs to our kids!"

"Your own children can't even get a scholarship because they are taking all the scholarships!"

"Mexicans are taking over! They'll soon be running our country!"

"They are bringing witchcraft into our country!"

How many on this board have heard these kinds of remarks?

LaFenix

Jan 6, 2003, 7:16 PM

Post #18 of 23 (5789 views)

Shortcut

Re: [awcharro] Misconceptions about Mexico (Theater of the Absurd)

Can't Post |
Some new ones I heard on my last visit to Oceanside... "The government is considering giving the illegals social security." Maybe because they pay into it and never collect.

I doubt this one is true as I have no faith our government would actually do the right thing. Sure would be nice though.

But my new favorite is concerning the name of the baked goods company, BIMBO. Bimbo has bought the U.S. company Entemann's and it seems the female employees are livid over the name and consider not working for a company that uses a name that makes fun of women. Hmmm...

scott

Jan 6, 2003, 8:52 PM

Post #19 of 23 (5785 views)

Shortcut

Re: [LaFenix] Misconceptions about Mexico (Theater of the Absurd)

Can't Post |
Some new ones I heard on my last visit to Oceanside... "The government is considering giving the illegals social security." Maybe because they pay into it and never collect.

Are you and Marisol real life friends in playas de tijuana, by any chance?

LaFenix

Jan 6, 2003, 8:56 PM

Post #20 of 23 (5786 views)

Shortcut

Re: [scott] Misconceptions about Mexico (Theater of the Absurd)

Can't Post |
Scott,
Hopefully, your question is out of curiosity but no we do not know each other, but probably should.

CanMex

Jan 7, 2003, 8:52 AM

Post #21 of 23 (5749 views)

Shortcut

Re: [scott] Misconceptions about Mexico (Theater of the Absurd)

Can't Post |
Scott, Don't you believe that they should receive it? Or would rather the government keep it for spending on other things?

I know I paid into it for 9 years and I sure am going to collect.

Luc

alex .

Jan 7, 2003, 9:24 AM

Post #22 of 23 (5737 views)

Shortcut

" I'm in Mazatlan for Spring Break and I have fallen in love with a beautiful Mexican girl. Because I'm American, I can bring her to the US, right?, I just write a letter or something?"
Alex

JudyinKC

Jan 8, 2003, 4:02 AM

Post #23 of 23 (5658 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
We've noticed that when we mention moving to Mexico there is hardly ever a middle-of-the-road reaction. Either the hearer is appalled at the idea (and voices some of the remarks about land-grabbing, crime, etc., etc.) or the hearer is really excited with us about it. Actually more people think it's really neat and seem to be kind of envious that we are so adventureous.

The ideas people have about the climate are usually pretty far off. Either they think all of Mexico is hot all the time. Or, when we tell them we're moving where the elevation is 6200 feet, they say, "Oh, you'll have a lot of snow."

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4