Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Jalisco's Lake Chapala Region

jonv

Jan 4, 2003, 1:54 PM

Post #1 of 21 (8003 views)

Shortcut

An Apartment in Ajijic

Can't Post |

Hi, All, I'm Jon Vedder. I'm flying down from NYS on 18 Jan. & am looking for a furnished, $300-400/month apartment for three months, at which time my wife should join me & we'll move to a larger place. Meanwhile, I need a one-bedroom. Marcy and I are retired. I've emailed and faxed rental agencies, but no response. Can anyone help out?

My email: jonvedder@webtv.net.

I'm really looking forward to getting there. These New York winters stink. Right now, 14 inches of new snow.
Jon

(This post was edited by jonvedder on Jan 4, 2003, 4:19 PM)

Anya

Jan 4, 2003, 8:24 PM

Post #2 of 21 (7702 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jonvedder] An Apartment in Ajijic

Can't Post |
Hi Jon.
I don't know if this will be helpful, but there are some agencies listed at http://www.mexconnect.com/realestate04.html. The only one I am personally familiar with is Eager & Asociados. The owner Trudie also owns La Nueva Posada where I love to stay (right across the street from the real estate shop). Most of the stuff advertised online is high end, but it might be worth a phone call to talk with Trudie since low end stuff often isn't advertised. Its always easier finding a cheap place when you are already there. Hope this helps a little.

lmaxine

Jan 4, 2003, 11:23 PM

Post #3 of 21 (7639 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Anya] An Apartment in Ajijic

Can't Post | Private Reply
I don't believe Trudie owns Eager Real Estate, Mark Eager does. And, I don't believe that Trudie owns the Nueva Posada, Michael Eager does.
"He upon whose heart the dust of Mexico has lain will find no peace in any other land." Malcolm Lowry

PeggyS

Jan 5, 2003, 12:48 AM

Post #4 of 21 (7652 views)

Shortcut

Re: [lmaxine] An Apartment in Ajijic

How true, Imaxine. Took the words right out of my mouth. Isn't it odd how strangers to Ajijic love to give out wrong information. I imagine Trudy Nelson, one of the world's dearest persons, is dying of embarrassment. But yes, the Eagers do own that corner of the world, and they are very nice folks. I had one of the most wonderful Thanksgiving dinners ever with them this year. They don't deserve this nonsense, why do idiots do this and have "fun" on the forums giving out false "information"?

Anya

Jan 5, 2003, 7:30 AM

Post #5 of 21 (7605 views)

Shortcut

Re: [PeggyS] An Apartment in Ajijic

Can't Post |
Apprently I was misinformed, but I am certainly not an idiot nor do I have "fun" giving out bad info. When I stayed at Posada it was Trudie who told me some history about how they got started in Ajijic and I guess I mistakenly thought she was one of the owners. It doesn't change the fact that it is a wonderful place and that the original poster could get some assistance trying to find a rental. I see you were quick to call me an idiot but not so quick to provide the poster with some assistance.

(This post was edited by Anya on Jan 5, 2003, 7:34 AM)

lucy

Jan 5, 2003, 7:34 AM

Post #6 of 21 (7549 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
Hi jan
Your problem is a common one. Not many real estate sales persons have any interest in rentals unless you are looking to purchase a home in the near future. I suggest you find an affordable hotel or B+B for a week or so. Check the board at LCS and walk the neighborhood you would like to live in.
Ask others for suggestions. You will have a better chance of finding a good place at a reasonable rate. This is the way it is done in Mexico. Good luck with the move...

lucy

Jan 5, 2003, 7:42 AM

Post #7 of 21 (7551 views)

Shortcut

Re: [PeggyS] Ohhh Peggy. Breath and relax

Can't Post |
I see you are back at it again. Hope you take it easy and are feeling better soon.....

Take care

jonv

Jan 5, 2003, 9:08 AM

Post #8 of 21 (7497 views)

Shortcut

Re: [lucy] An Apartment in Ajijic

Can't Post |
Hi Lucy,

Thank you for the advice. I might now be in touch with someone who can fix me up.

Send me a private, and I'll look for you when I get there.

Health to you,

Jon

jonv

Jan 5, 2003, 9:44 AM

Post #9 of 21 (7469 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
To Everyone,

I'm flying down to Guadalajara, then busing to Ajijic; can I box up my computer and fly it down with me in cargo? I mean the computer in cargo, not me. Will I have to pay a duty on it? Not having it with me would be like losing a vital organ, or something worse.

I'll be asking more questions "as time goes by". Sounds like a good title for a song huh?

Later,

Jon

esperanza

Jan 5, 2003, 10:56 AM

Post #10 of 21 (7462 views)

Shortcut

You would do better to fly to GDL and then taxi to Ajijic. And you are not permitted to bring in a PC unless you are coming on an FM3 with a menaje de casa~but you can bring a laptop.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

jonv

Jan 5, 2003, 11:05 AM

Post #11 of 21 (7443 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] An Apartment in Ajijic

Can't Post |

Esperanza, my computer is actually a WebTV. It's a box the size of tv cable box, and a small tv. Would that make a difference?

Jon

esperanza

Jan 5, 2003, 11:41 AM

Post #12 of 21 (7442 views)

Shortcut

Hmmm...I have no experience of Webtv or its availability here in Mexico. Sorry, Jon, wish I could help...maybe somebody else has some words of wisdom here.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

jonv

Jan 5, 2003, 12:16 PM

Post #13 of 21 (7418 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] An Apartment in Ajijic

Can't Post |

Hi All,

When an apartment is "furnished", does that mean the kitchen is also furnished with pots, pans, dinner-ware, and stuff like that?

lucy

Jan 5, 2003, 12:39 PM

Post #14 of 21 (7425 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
I am almost positive that you will not be able to get hooked up with web tv in Mexico. your access is limited. You may be well served to shop around for a new or late model used lap top. You can bring that in without duty.

Regarding kitchen stuff: You will get the basics. It there is something you love in your kitchen, bring it with you.. If this love object has a cord, bring it for sure. A small hand vac is a nice thing to have. An electric space heater is a useful item. Get a good one that uses lower voltage. House wares with electric cords are expensive in Mexico. Anything imported is expensive.. There are some good second hand stores in the area. most Gringos shop them.. There is a Sam's club, Costco, and Walmart in Guadalajara. The local tour company runs a bus trip there once per month. You may want to bring a boom box too. If you have questions, leave a message on this site..

jonv

Jan 5, 2003, 2:15 PM

Post #15 of 21 (7408 views)

Shortcut

Re: [lucy] An Apartment in Ajijic

Can't Post |

Mas pregundas:health insurance..

1. Does US health insurance pay for medications in Mexico?

2. I get some of my meds renewed from my doctor each month because some are only 30 day supply. How do I get them to me?

More later as the questions arise. Jon

ChrisB

Jan 6, 2003, 5:28 AM

Post #16 of 21 (7406 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
Some HMO's and prescription plans pay for meds in Mexico. But they only pay a percentage and the Mexican dru price can be much cheaper so you won't get back much. Plus the paperwork is time consuming and cumbersome.

Some people use MBE and say they have no problem, some here on the forum have trashed the local service. You are not allowed to mail drugs to Mexico from the U.S. and the chances of them arriving in tact are not good. I would bring the paper copy of the prescription. Best bet is to have your Dr. prescribe a 90 day supply and bring it with you.

jonv

Jan 6, 2003, 5:34 AM

Post #17 of 21 (7395 views)

Shortcut

Re: [ChrisB] An Apartment in Ajijic

Can't Post |

Buenas dias,

Hey, you are up early! Me too; couldn't sleep; getting too excited. Thanks for the med info. Talk to you tonight.

Jon

jonv

Jan 6, 2003, 7:11 AM

Post #18 of 21 (7383 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
Is there an inside community swimming pool in or near Ajijic?
Marcy is a very avid swimmer; I just flop around looking silly.

jonv

Jan 6, 2003, 10:26 AM

Post #19 of 21 (7387 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Anya] An Apartment in Ajijic

Can't Post |
Peggy, I talked to Felix today. With my little Spanish & his little English, we had fun.

I will be in your old building but not your apartment. Buy I couldn't get the name of the complex "Quinta something something". Please let me know.
And he'll take my perrita too.
I had to convince Felix she wouldn't poop inside.

Hasta luego,

Jon

jonv

Jan 6, 2003, 11:26 AM

Post #20 of 21 (7371 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |

Peggy, I'm replying to my own emails...Could you give the complete address of that apartment complex? Of course we don't know the apartment number yet, unless that's the #34.

Thanks,

Jon

obe

Jan 6, 2003, 6:02 PM

Post #21 of 21 (7325 views)

Shortcut

Good for you Anya

Can't Post |
Good on you, you dont have to take that kind of @*&$% from those two hippicritical,arrogant S O B`s .There seems to be a few know-it-all`s on this forum who just cant wait to find an excuse to belittle and chastize others. I am sure by there attitude in way they correct others , on things of little consequence, that they do this for the sole purpose of trying to make themselves FEEL IMMMMPORTANT & HIGHLY INTELLIGENT, well in my opinion it has just the opposite effect. Dont let them discourage you,as most people on this forum are very kind and gracious.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4