of the word?

Thanks Osito

machi

Jan 2, 2003, 7:25 AM

Post #2 of 11 (3231 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Osito] ¿Chilango?

Can't Post |
You are correct, Osito, but I don't know the origin either. I would be intersting to hear some speculation on that. Meanwhile, here's a great dictionary of DF slang:
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Olympus/1960/index.html

REY

Jan 2, 2003, 8:12 AM

Post #3 of 11 (3186 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
I did a search online and found an interview with a wrestler (from mexico city) and said the word "chilango" is a nahuatl word meaning "a person who comes from the clean place"

I also found this website that talks about Cortez and mentions a place called "Xilango"...maybe that place got annexed way back to form part of Mexico City. Those people would've been "xilangos"...just a thought. ...here's the link http://www.fundacion-ica.org.mx/EVOLUCION/epocavi.htm

on a side note...HAPPY NEW YEAR!!! btw, today is 01/02/03 :)

(This post was edited by REY on Jan 2, 2003, 8:18 AM)

javo

Jan 2, 2003, 11:11 AM

Post #4 of 11 (3188 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
Chilango - native of Mexico City. Nobody knows the exact origin of the word.

Other examples you might find about names given to people from different parts of Mexico:

Jarocho - native of Veracruz City. We use "veracruzano" for the people of the State of Veracruz. Jalapeño.- From Jalapa, capital of the State of Veracruz.

Tapatío - native of Guadalajara. Jalicienses for the rest. "Jalisquillo" is derogatory.

Regio.- native of Monterrey. Neoleonés - for those native of the State of Nuevo León who don't live in Monterrey.

Hidrocálido.- native of Aguascalientes.

Meridano.- native of Mérida. Yucateco for those born in Yucatán. Vallisoletano for those of Valladolid, Yucatán.

Potosino.- From San Luis Potosí.

Poblano.- native of the City or State of Puebla (You might also hear "pipope", particularly in Mexico City. This is a rude word that must be avoided at all costs since it means "pinche poblano pendejo")

Chihuahuense.- native of Chihuahua ("Chihuahueño" is only used for dogs).

Tlaxcalteca.- From Tlaxcala

Mexiquense.- From the State of Mexico.

Chiapaneco.- From Chiapas.

Tabasqueño.- From Tabasco.

Queretano.- From Querétaro.

Hope you find this information interesting.

Dave C.

Jan 2, 2003, 11:44 PM

Post #5 of 11 (3147 views)

Shortcut

Re: [REY] ¿Chilango?

Can't Post |
>I did a search online and found an interview with a wrestler (from mexico city) and said the word "chilango" is a nahuatl word meaning "a person who comes from the clean place"

If that's true, it must be pretty ironic to modern Nahuatl-speakers, given the pollution in the DF.

machi

Jan 3, 2003, 6:06 AM

Post #6 of 11 (3129 views)

Shortcut

Re: [javo] ¿Chilango?

Can't Post |
Chihuahuense.- native of Chihuahua ("Chihuahueño" is only used for dogs).

Good List! What about Chihuahuecos? I see them driving in Juarez all the time!

arbon

Jan 3, 2003, 7:15 AM

Post #7 of 11 (3128 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Dave C.] ¿Chilango?

Can't Post |
"I did a search online and found an interview with a wrestler (from mexico city) and said the word "chilango" is a nahuatl word meaning "a person who comes from the clean place"

"If that's true, it must be pretty ironic to modern Nahuatl-speakers, given the pollution in the DF".

Maybe a "Mud Wrestler" Crazy

Osito

Jan 5, 2003, 10:27 AM

Post #8 of 11 (3099 views)

Shortcut

Re: [arbon] ¿Chilango?

Can't Post |
Mil gracias por las respuestas y observaciónes.

Salud Osito

mexhapati

Jan 6, 2003, 11:00 AM

Post #9 of 11 (3068 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
No one mentioned that the term chilango is often felt to be derogatory. No one really knows what it means but it don't sound too polite. Sort of like the term gringo - it doesn't really say anything more than "foreigner", just doesn't sound very friendly. Having been born in the Great Enchilada and brought up in the northern US I have felt the edge of both Chilango and Gringo, w/o really knowing what either one means....

lin robinson

Jan 6, 2003, 4:17 PM

Post #10 of 11 (3078 views)

Shortcut

Mex. City OR D.F.

Can't Post |
Chilango can be applied to either the city or the zone.
I seriously doubt it's a nahuatl word, because the derivation gets debated by scholars. (Many say it has something to do with chile). A cute slang for it is to call people from the "DeFectuoso" chilaquiles
It is one of those words like gringo (which means far more than "foreigner", believe me) which can be a slur or not depending... It's not considered nice to call chilangos that, but they do it and generally laugh at it unless it seems to have attitude with it...like "gringo".
For some more regional nicknames, see the list at this page

Lisa0825

Jan 26, 2003, 7:16 PM

Post #11 of 11 (3054 views)

Shortcut

Re: [lin robinson] Mex. City OR D.F.

Can't Post |
I was at a Latin bar with some Mexican friends in Houston (the only güerita in the joint), and upon telling a guy from Mexico City who was hitting on me that I had a boyfriend in Mexico City, they both said "Ah, Chilango!" I asked what that meant, and the best comparison they could give me was how African American men call each other brother. The girls I was with agreed with that, so I am hoping I wasn't insulted without knowing it!LOL

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4