Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Technical Mexico

villamex

Jan 1, 2003, 10:23 AM

Post #1 of 16 (5004 views)

Shortcut

High Speed Internet

Can't Post |
I am thinking of changing over to either wireless or DSL internet. I was wondering what if any problems people have had with the two service here, especially in the village of Ajijic. I would appreciate any comments anybody as on these service including any pros and cons of either.

Thanks

(This post was edited by villamex on Jan 1, 2003, 10:26 AM)

dmdean

Jan 2, 2003, 11:40 AM

Post #2 of 16 (4755 views)

Shortcut

Re: [villamex] High Speed Internet

Can't Post |
I live in San Antonio and have had the DSL for 2 months now and have had absolutely NO problems with it. Very satisfied! Dona

computerwizz

Jan 3, 2003, 11:59 AM

Post #3 of 16 (4696 views)

Shortcut

Re: [dmdean] High Speed Internet

Can't Post |
Didn'y ROD live in Ajijic?

Seņior Brechin

Jan 3, 2003, 3:23 PM

Post #4 of 16 (4686 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
Any info on monthly pricing would be appreciated.

Modem rental ??? how much ???

Phone number of the phone company ???

thanks in advance

_Howard_

Jan 3, 2003, 5:10 PM

Post #5 of 16 (4651 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
You can probably find everything you want to know by searching the posts in this forum. There has been a lot of forum discussion on this topic over the past year.

Wireless has the highest speed but is the most expensive, DSL is middle ground in speed and costs, and dial-up is cheap but slow and most subject to outages.

Mister.Bill

Jan 3, 2003, 5:36 PM

Post #6 of 16 (4659 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Seņior Brechin] High Speed Internet

Can't Post |
Visit Lagunanet's website http://www.laguna.com.mx/ everything you need is posted.

As for Telmex aka: "TacoBell" here's there link http://www.telmex.com/

villamex

Jan 3, 2003, 5:41 PM

Post #7 of 16 (4632 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
I have done my research on both Laguna and Telmex about costs and what is required etc, I am trying to find out what if any problems people have had with either service and any pros and cons of each. I was not born yesterday I do know how to research thing on the internet and through this forum. I am looking for a persons thoughts not the companies thoughts.

parvati

Jan 3, 2003, 7:05 PM

Post #8 of 16 (4627 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post | Private Reply
We have had ADSL here in Florida for about 2 years now and it has been a blessing to be off a dialup service. I understand that ADSL has just been introduced in Ajijic by Prodigy via Telmex. ADSL requirements are pretty strict regarding distance from the Telco CO's .. No more than about 3 km's.. The quality of the wire is critical to being able to achieve the advertized up/down speeds. There can be no loading coils or "pair gain" multiplexers on the copper between you and the Telco CO.. It took me over 2 months of pushing the US SPRINT techs to acheive a "clean" connection here in our area. Loading coils are used in great numbers here and probably in Mexico as well. The learning curve for ADSL is pretty steep for phone guys that normally just deal with plain old telephone service (POTS). I think the biggest downside of ADSL is dealing with the Telco folks when there's a problem. It's hard to get them excited about restoring dial tone much less a data connection.. Also, you have to determine if it's a telco problem or a server problem with the ISP sometimes. So you're actually having to deal with two different companies when trying to resolve certain ADSL problems.

Wireless has it's own set of technical problems and requirements. I've been investigating the wireless service by Lagunanet previous to our move down to the lake later this year. Heard great things about Rod and Lagunanet's commitment to service. Several people have emailed me to share their opinion on Rod's company and so far it's all been above satisfactory. That's a really good report in a field where it's very difficult to keep folks happy at a high percentage level. Let's face it most people expect this stuff to work 24/7.. including me <grin>

Also, ADSL may be more susceptible to damage via lightning related surges due to the long copper wire connections. Wireless can obviously be knocked out as well but that is usually limited to provider equipment mounted on towers that are actually attracting a hit.

Good Luck with whatever you decide to go with. Hope you will share your experience here on the board.

Garrett

(This post was edited by parvati on Jan 3, 2003, 7:15 PM)

LJ

Jan 3, 2003, 9:22 PM

Post #9 of 16 (4590 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
Can't attest to either high speed service, but I can offer you my opinion on companies. When I lived in Ajijic I had Laguna. Unfortunately, for the 2 years I was there I had a absolutely miserable experience with Telmex ... it took 18 MONTHS to get a phone line!! ANOTHER 3 WEEKS TO GET IT WORKING!!

If the choice comes down to which company is more reliable on customer service, Telmex should never ever be considered in that equation. Add to that what the other poster said about a steep learning curve and the need for clean connections and that knocks Telmex out of the water ... they use rusty old fashioned twisted wires for phone connections that drop out at an untolerable rate even for phone calls!!

Sorry, even as a former resident, had to add my two cents in about the severe unlikihood of getting decent service from Telmex, especially if it requires customer service.

pat

Jan 4, 2003, 8:19 AM

Post #10 of 16 (4564 views)

Shortcut

Re: [LJ] High Speed Internet

LJ

Many people have used these forums to explain why they decided to move to Mexico, but very few have given an unemotional, rational reason for leaving, once they have move here.

If its not too personal, I would appreciate you telling us what caused you to move back home.

Pat

Mike

Jan 4, 2003, 8:39 AM

Post #11 of 16 (4564 views)

Shortcut

Re: [parvati] High Speed Internet

I agree with most of the info provided except for "There can be no loading coils or "pair gain" multiplexers on the copper between you and the Telco CO."
The loading coil part is correct but the pair gain is not. I am served over a pair gain system and also have DSL over the same system. Probably depends on the telco and which vendor's equipment is used.
"No matter where you go, there you are"

LJ

Jan 4, 2003, 11:38 AM

Post #12 of 16 (4557 views)

Shortcut

Re: [pat] High Speed Internet

Can't Post |
We did not fit the typical gringo profile of being of retirement age, so it's not great surprise we ended up leaving. Not having an internet connection due to the phone company REFUSING to install the lines pretty much killed my freelance business as I was not able to communicate consistently with my clients in the US (before the internet cafe's were there, only one at the time was Barco, and most of the time they weren't up and running.) The market crash, of course, brought an unexpected end to our extended retirement, but we had honestly made the decision to leave before then ... I think the final straw was ... we'll leave that for a private reply.

In a nutshell, it's difficult for a) a type A personality person to "retire" to Mexico, b) for a type A personality to "retire" at all, 3) for a type A FEMALE New Yorker to move to a place that "won't sell bricks to women" ... gender bias is difficult to assilimate to when I've been raised to be a strong, self-supporting, independent female.

parvati

Jan 4, 2003, 12:37 PM

Post #13 of 16 (4532 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Mike] High Speed Internet

In Reply To
>>>The loading coil part is correct but the pair gain is not. I am served over >>>a pair gain system and also have DSL over the same system.

Hi Mike ... Hmmm.. that's very interesting indeed .. Pair gain is usually the number two reason for rejection of DSL service here in the US right behind exceeding the distance to the CO.. Don't see how it could work as Pair Gain systems end up occupying the same upper band that DSL operates in. Are you telling me that you have the capability of two POTS circuits and DSL service on a single pair of copper ? Are you sure they didn't remove the pair gain equipment to provide your DSL service or that you are actually utilizing two pairs of copper ?

Inquiring minds want to know more ! :->

Garrett

Rolly

Jan 4, 2003, 12:52 PM

Post #14 of 16 (4528 views)

Shortcut

Re: [parvati] High Speed Internet

Sure sounds odd to me too. I'm an old broadcaster, not a pole climber, but I don't see how you're gonna get a clean digital signal through that "pair gain" grabage.

Rolly Pirate

dmdean

Jan 5, 2003, 3:25 PM

Post #15 of 16 (4496 views)

Shortcut

Re: [LJ] High Speed Internet

Can't Post |
Living in San Antonio Tlayacapan, (outside Ajijic), we have had no problems with Telmex for the past 3 years. When we signed up for a phone we got it within a week, and no worries since. Once a wire was knocked down on the corner and they were here within the hour.

We had the "other" internet service, got knocked off continuously. A friend signed up for DSL and convinced us to sign up. We were connected in 3 days and I have had no problems with Telmex as far as their service, lines, etc. are concerned. I think possibly Telmex has cleaned up their act, in the lakeside area anyway. Dona

Mike

Jan 5, 2003, 4:22 PM

Post #16 of 16 (4472 views)

Shortcut

Honest, DSL will work over some pair gain systems

As an old telco person it eemed a bit odd to me at first also but turned out to be true. When we moved to our current location, I could not connect over 28.8 using dial up. Turned out that the reason I could not connect faster that 28.8 was due to being served via a pair gain system. So I began investigating DSL and discovered it was available in my area even though the whole area is served over a pair gain system.
I am not saying I have two POTS lines and a DSL line but I could if I was willing to pay for another POTS line. What I have is a DSL line and my regular POTS line.
I imagine that with the newer pair gain systems, some additional pairs are reserved for data (DSL etc.). The data link used between the two ends could also be used.
One of these days I'll stop when I notice someone working at the equipment that serves us. I'll let you know the results.
"No matter where you go, there you are"

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4