Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Southern Mexico

artclarke

Dec 31, 2002, 1:18 PM

Post #1 of 5 (2028 views)

Shortcut

Cenotes

Can't Post |
My wife and I will be in the Yucatan For about a week in January, and we are interested in the cenotes we have read about. Any information about visiting some would be appreciated.

Art in Canada

Jim in Cancun / Moderator

Dec 31, 2002, 3:00 PM

Post #2 of 5 (1969 views)

Shortcut

Re: [artclarke] Cenotes

Can't Post | Private Reply
Here is a good message board for info about cenotes

http://mytravelboard3.com/playa/

Dr. Ed--the webmaster is a good source.

Interesting article the other day said that Some Americans that live in Tulum were out diving the cavern system down there--part of Dos Ojos--and discovered MASTODON BONES IN A CENOTE!! First find like that ever in Yucatan.

keyem

Dec 31, 2002, 4:02 PM

Post #3 of 5 (1946 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
There are two cenotes near and in Valladolid, which is a worthy place to spend a few days as well. It is also a great base to see Ek Balam and Chichen Itza.

Btw, you could more accurately refer to it as the Yucatan Peninsula or just as Yucatan, but mentioning "the Yucatan" is kind of like referring to "the Mexico" or "the Cancun". This is a common error that just sounds like something quaint from a 1930's movie.

I hope you have a wonderful trip!

Jim in Cancun / Moderator

Dec 31, 2002, 7:34 PM

Post #4 of 5 (1938 views)

Shortcut

Re: [keyem] Cenotes in "The Yucatan"

Here is a link:

http://virtual-showcase.com/...s/dudes/yuccave.html

It mentions underwater caves in "The Yucatan." (I have seen the same discussion on other boards about whether it should be "The Baja" or just "Baja.") No matter what point of view you have or reasons for it, all opinions WHICH RESPECT THE OPINIONS OF OTHERS AND ARE POLITE are welcome.

I agree that history is fascinating and the history of this region is and can be a good topic for all. Feel free to contribute and offer backup info for the benefit of all of us who love this area.

Happy New Year to all. ¡Feliz Año!

PeggyS

Jan 1, 2003, 12:42 AM

Post #5 of 5 (1931 views)

Shortcut

The cenote at Chichen Itza always makes my heart stop. When I think of what the divers found.....May I suggest a book, "The Yucatan, a Guide to the Land of Maya Mysteries" by Antoinette May? It's the best guide I have found to the archaeological sites including the cenotes. The cenote by Vallodid is great but to me nothing matches the impact of the one at Chichen Itza.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4