Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

Bucky

Dec 31, 2002, 4:38 PM

Post #1 of 15 (1577 views)

Shortcut

exiting mx w/ car (permit)

Can't Post |
Do I have to check out of mexico with my permit somewhere? Does the border crossing simply check it off on his computer, if he has one, or do I have to go to the car permit place again. I know I guaranteed to return with the same car when I entered, and I did, but I made the guarantee with a credit card. What, if I do have to have it cancelled, will happen if I don't?

Rolly

Dec 31, 2002, 8:11 PM

Post #2 of 15 (1497 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Bucky] exiting mx w/ car (permit)

Can't Post | Private Reply
You need to go to the car permit place to turn in your permit in order to get your car off the computer records. If you don't, two things will probably happen: your credit card will take a hit, and you will not be allowed to bring another car into Mexico.

Rolly Pirate

samson

Jan 1, 2003, 9:03 AM

Post #3 of 15 (1475 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] exiting mx w/ car (permit)

Can't Post |
Have you ever heard of those things happenings to people? If they charge your credit card you can dispute it and you will win. I've never turned my permit in when I leave Mexico (nor have my friends) and the next year we bring out car back in. I tried to turn it in once and they weren't interested.

Bucky

Jan 1, 2003, 9:22 AM

Post #4 of 15 (1468 views)

Shortcut

Re: [samson] exiting mx w/ car (permit)

Can't Post |
Boo! Whine, whine, whimper. Guess I'll head back to Mx in the next 6 months to do this. What a waste of time--but a chance to experience the bureaucratic inefficiency of both my future and present, neither of which ranks very high in personal opinion. Thanks for the confirmation of what I suspected but was too tired to do at the time.

Rolly

Jan 1, 2003, 9:46 AM

Post #5 of 15 (1470 views)

Shortcut

Yes, Samson, there have been several posts from people who have had problems because they failed to turn in their car papers. And, yes, credit cards have been hit; and, no, they were not able to get the charges reversed.

You and your friends have been lucky. I hope it holds for you, but don't be surprised one day when it hits the fan.

Rolly Pirate

samson

Jan 1, 2003, 9:54 AM

Post #6 of 15 (1460 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] exiting mx w/ car (permit)

Can't Post |
It is too bad they didn't dispute their credit card charges more vigourously as they would have won. I've been in that business for years-the customer will win as they didn't authorize that specific charge.

Mereja

Jan 1, 2003, 3:33 PM

Post #7 of 15 (1444 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
The thing is, is that Mexico is changing very fast, and the way of doing things is changeing. A few years ago, I never turned in my sticker etc and never had a problem. I had never even heard of such a thing. But, with the computers and all, they are able to keep track of things better. Some crossings just haven't gotten up to par yet.

samson

Jan 1, 2003, 4:07 PM

Post #8 of 15 (1434 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Mereja] exiting mx w/ car (permit)

Can't Post |
That makes sense. I wonder if coming out a different one than you went in confounds things.

Rolly

Jan 1, 2003, 6:11 PM

Post #9 of 15 (1425 views)

Shortcut

It's my understanding that all the offices are now connected to a central data base, so you are in the machine no matter where you enter or exit.

Rolly Pirate

Papirex

Jan 5, 2003, 10:51 AM

Post #10 of 15 (1393 views)

Shortcut

The only reason I can think of as to why the credit card company would refuse the charge for not returning the car permit as promised by you, is that the Mexican government did not provide the proof that you did indeed authorize the charge, when contacted by the issuing credit card company.

When you get your temporary car inportation permit, they take an imprint of your credit card on a charge slip. You must sign this autorization for the charge, or you don't get the permit. I have done this twice. If I don't return the car to the US, my credit card will be charged, because I authorized it. Everyone does when they get a temporary car importation permit.

When you remove the car from the country, you must stop at an Aduana that issues the permits. If you continued on to the border, that might explain why you found that they were not interested.

Rolly is right, if you and your friends have been ignoring your promise to cancel the permits when removing the cars from the country, and were able to bring in another car, you have been lucky.

Luck has a way of turning on you though. It will be a real hassle if your name is still in the computer showing you still have a car in Mexico, the next time you want to bring one here. If you don't do all the paperwork necessary to get it cleared, you will never be permitted to bring another car in to the country, ever.

It's not that much trouble to turn it in. I don't know why anyone would skip this important step. Besides, you promised to do it.
"The supreme happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved" - Victor Hugo

drew

Jan 6, 2003, 7:56 PM

Post #11 of 15 (1373 views)

Shortcut

Aduana pulled sticker/permits while in line @ Nogales, Sat, Jan 4th.

Can't Post |
It was pretty simple, we approached line at 21K for foreign vehicle permit return, slowly moved up, Aduana approached, check papers, scraped window sticker off, staple to permit and placed under windshield wipers. When we got to the front of the line, they pulled papers, ran them over to booth and told us we were ok to go...

Bucky

Jan 7, 2003, 5:40 AM

Post #12 of 15 (1356 views)

Shortcut

Re: [drew] Aduana pulled sticker/permits while in line @ Nogales, Sat, Jan 4th.

Can't Post |
You say you did it at the Aduana (21K) inside. When we went through this section, there was no slowing down. That wouldh've made it easier.

benlouis

Jan 7, 2003, 8:19 AM

Post #13 of 15 (1352 views)

Shortcut

removing hologram sticker at 21k checkpoint?

Can't Post |
The last time I entered and left Mexico at Nuevo Laredo, I had to travel several miles into Nuevo Laredo to get my auto permit and had to return it at the same place when I left Mexico. Fortunately there were lots of signs pointing the way.

Are you saying, and is it true, you can return the hologram sticker and get your car legally entered into the computer that you have removed the car from Mexico at the 21k checkpoint?

jkoster

Jan 7, 2003, 9:04 AM

Post #14 of 15 (1345 views)

Shortcut

Re: [benlouis] removing hologram sticker at 21k checkpoint?

Can't Post |
What Drew described is essentially what happened to us at Nogales last March. I asked at the checkpoint if they wanted our tourist visas but they weren't interested. The next slowdown was the long lineup for US customs. We still have the visas.

drew

Jan 7, 2003, 12:09 PM

Post #15 of 15 (1349 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jkoster] removing hologram sticker at 21k checkpoint?

Can't Post |
That is exactly what happened, it was the holiday weekend, so maybe they were trying to expedite things. They did not take tourist permits back at this point, just as described in the post above.

Just a side note, the website for getting the permit paperwork filled out before you arrive does work, IF you can find someone working in Aduana who knows about the process. My wife is VERY FLUENT in Spanish and it still took a few hours to locate someone who was aware of the internet permit registration. That said, after she got through to the correct person, it was a breeze...

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4