Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

MikeandAlexa

Dec 30, 2002, 5:44 PM

Post #1 of 16 (2714 views)

Shortcut

Pemex

Can't Post |
I haven't driven in Mexico in many years. Long ago, Pemex didn't take credit cards. I assume that they do now ... or do I have to take LOTS of cash?

Thanks

jennifer rose

Dec 30, 2002, 5:48 PM

Post #2 of 16 (2480 views)

Shortcut

Re: [MikeandAlexa] Pemex

Can't Post |
Today, some (but not many) Pemex stations accept credit cards. And those few which do accept credit cards don't make a big deal out of advertising the fact. It's better to plan on cash, just so you're not stuck.

ranchhand1024

Jan 11, 2003, 7:35 AM

Post #3 of 16 (2382 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jennifer rose] Pemex

Can't Post |
It would be the rare station that would take a card, but with ATM's so handy cash should not be a problem. Also, I don't think I would want the Pemex operators to have access to my card.

esperanza

Jan 11, 2003, 7:55 AM

Post #4 of 16 (2389 views)

Shortcut

Re: [ranchhand1024] Pemex

Can't Post | Private Reply
Do you pay for gasoline with a credit card in your country of origin? Assuming that you could do it easily, why would it be different to pay for it by credit card in Mexico? Is there something about Pemex operators that is less trustworthy than, say, Texaco operators?

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

(This post was edited by esperanza on Jan 11, 2003, 7:56 AM)

Juan

Jan 15, 2003, 8:21 AM

Post #5 of 16 (2353 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Pemex

Can't Post |
Esperanza, The short answer to your question is a resounding "YES". Some large pemex stations are notorious for their scams, the output of pumps is often altered to provide the customer with less gas than he/she pays for, the operator occassionally "has no change" for the customer and the the artof short change is practiced in ways most of us cannot even imagine.

Not all Pemex stations are dishonest but be aware that many are. Using a credit card at a Pemex station is a risk some of us do not want to take.

Mereja

Jan 15, 2003, 5:26 PM

Post #6 of 16 (2322 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Juan] Pemex

Can't Post |
Has anybody seen this scam. This happened to my husband and he is Mexican. He watched closely as they pumped the gas, saw the total and went to pay with 200 pesos. He handed the guy 200 pesos and turned to get in the car. The guy said he didn't pay enough and showed him a $1.00 bill from the US. He said my husband had only given him that bill. My husband started searching in the seat of the car for the 200 pesos I had just handed to him. He tried to tell the guy that he didn't have any $1.00 bills in his pockets and that I had just handed him the $200 pesos. We ended up giving another $200 pesos. Of course this will only work if you are driving a car with license plates from the US.

Rolly

Jan 15, 2003, 8:39 PM

Post #7 of 16 (2311 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Mereja] Pemex

I always hold the bill -- usually 200 pesos -- in clear view of the attendant, but I don't hand it over until the filling is done and he has replaced the cap. I try not to buy an amount of gas that will require change. When I am at home, I trade with the same station all the time, so I know the guys, and they know me.

A couple of years ago, some friends of mine conducted a series of 'honesty' tests on the local Pemex stations using a car with a rigged gas tank that allowed them to order x amount of gas at the station, then go home, drain the special tank, and measure the gas. I trade with the only station in town that passed the test.

Rolly Pirate

Juan

Jan 16, 2003, 9:57 AM

Post #8 of 16 (2282 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
Yes Mereja, I have heard of the dollar bill scam but have never had it pulled on me. I try to keep an assortment of coins and bills so I can pay the exact amount at Pemex stations. I pointedly look at the pump when I arrive so I can be sure it is rang back to zero before the attendant starts the pump. I unlock the gas cap for him, smile and stay with him until he is done pumping. Despite precautions I have been had more than once. Oh well, education is seldom free.

Juan

carolina

Jan 16, 2003, 12:04 PM

Post #9 of 16 (2272 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
Jennifer can you help me? I cant figure out how to start a new post on this site, before there was a button to press and now its all changed. I want to ask a question about the toll road DF to Acapulco. Thanks if you can tell me how to do it.

jennifer rose

Jan 16, 2003, 12:41 PM

Post #10 of 16 (2255 views)

Shortcut

Re: [carolina] Pemex

Can't Post |

In Reply To
Jennifer can you help me? I cant figure out how to start a new post on this site, before there was a button to press and now its all changed. I want to ask a question about the toll road DF to Acapulco. Thanks if you can tell me how to do it.

Go to http://www.mexconnect.com/.../gforum.cgi?forum=5; and hit "Post New."

jennifer rose

Jan 16, 2003, 12:51 PM

Post #11 of 16 (2260 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Juan] Pemex

Can't Post |
Well, using a credit card is risky at Amoco, Macy's, and Trader Joe's, too.

Now folks, there are scams all over the world. Even in the Bible belt of Oklahoma, the inner reaches of Indiana, and Truth or Consequences, New Mexico. Deal with it.

Yes, there are dishonest Pemex stations, just as there are dishonest Texaco stations. And the government consumer protection agency, Profeco, periodically checks gas stations to make sure they're delivering the right amount of product, sanctioning the errant.

If you really don't understand the money, if you don't have (or can't count) the correct change, simply ask the Pemex attendant for a "nota." That means a receipt. And he or she will write one out for you. Stand there and compare what you gave the attendant and what the attendant gave you back in change with what's written on the nota. Act like you know what you're doing.

Me? I seldom have the right change. I try to drive where I can see the pump register, I flip open the gas tank door or toss the keys to the attendant, the attendant points at it to show that it's zeroed out when he or she begins filling, and the attendant shows me the total as he tells me what my charges are. I don't get out of the car. I hand over the money, and the attendant counts back the change into my hand. How hard is that?

Ed and Fran

Jan 16, 2003, 4:56 PM

Post #12 of 16 (2250 views)

Shortcut

I was thinking about posting yesterday and seeing how the thread is still alive I guess I'll chime in with my $0.02.

First, while I'm sure a lot of people are having problems at Pemex stations (where there's smoke..), in my 10+ years of living, working and driving around the country I can only remember a couple of times feeling that I had been conned. One of those was when I had recently arrived and didn't know better. While that may be a couple of times too many, I really don't feel that it's too bad considering.

Second, it's not my practice to order gas to match the bills I have. I almost always track my gas mileage (kilometraje?) so I always say 'lleno', because I want to see how the mileage was for each tankfull (and rolling average, of course) and it's always an odd amount. I can't remember having problems getting change in the last few years. I also haven't noticed big changes in mileage that might lead me to think they were skimming gas, but maybe I wouldn't notice it if it was only a few mlltrs per liter.

It's certainly my impression that the general quality of the Pemex stations has greatly improved over the last 10 years. This includes many more stations, newer ones, better service, attendants who almost without fail ask me to verify that the pump shows zero, pumps themselves that need to be reset by seating the hose (making it harder, but not impossible, to not zero out, cleaner restrooms, mini-stores, etc. Definitely making progress.

Last, I would like to relate one scam that still stays fresh in my mind. Yeah, a station in Acapulco figured me for a tourista (error) and first pulled the one where they pump 5 pesos, and say to you "Okay, 50 pesos". When I pointed out that I had said 'lleno' he quickly zeroed it out and started over. But I knew it had been too fast for 50. Bit my tongue on that one and told myself to be more careful. He'd have gotten away with it until he decided that he could do better. When I paid the final bill he tried the $200 peso note switch with me (as described a couple of posts back) but not with a U.S. $1 bill, but with an old green $10 peso note!! I mean really, they'd been out of circ for a few years, give me a break. I got pretty hot at that one and the jefe of the gas island finally made the assistant give me the correct change.

We steamed out of the station, and as luck would have it passed the local Profeco office a couple blocks later. Pulled in and spent the time (must have taken 3 hours) to file the formal complaint. Typed out and notarized and all. The local Profeco officer that I dealt with seemed really pleased that we took the time to go through the formalities. He said they had received a lot of complaints about that specific gas station but did not have many willing to spend the time to file. He then, to our surprise, had us go back to the station with him for a discussion/warning with the owner. Then he proceeded to plaster about 50 flourescent yellow "Aviso" stickers (with a warning about unfair business practices or words to that effect) on the gas pumps, doors, windows, posts and any other part of the gas station that looked like he could put a sticker on. I thought that was pretty quick results. Obviously we weren't the first to complain. I still was impressed.

All that aside, I still feel pretty confident comfortable with the current Pemex situation.

Gone away

Jan 20, 2003, 9:36 PM

Post #13 of 16 (2211 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Ed and Fran] Pemex

Can't Post |
Well I just had the experience of the attendant at the PEMEX just outside Ajijic on the by-pass not having change. Fortunately it was only from 320 pesos and the pump reading 317.70. But what really irritated me more than that, is the AS----e having the nerve to run off and pumping other peoples tanks (about 75 feet away) and leaving mine un-attended. What happened was that the Diesel was overflowing and if it were not for my very good hearing and me running out to shut off the pump, that more than maybe 1 liter would have ran out on the ground, which incidentally I had to pay for.

From now on I will stand there and make him stay and pump until it is done.

From this experience all I can say give me the either total self serve or the gas jockeys in the US or Canada.

MikeandAlexa

Feb 13, 2003, 2:26 PM

Post #14 of 16 (2116 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
Similar scam tried on me at a Penex a couple of weeks ago. Gave the guy a 500 peso bill for a 350 peso fill-up. He turned around and showed me a 50 peso bill and told me that I did not give him enough (I speak very little Spanish, but the meaning was clear). After some argument, I pointed to a state patrol car parked at the entrance. The 500 peso bill immediately re-appeared, 150 change and we were on our way.

James Hayden

Feb 14, 2003, 10:31 AM

Post #15 of 16 (2085 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Ed and Fran] Pemex

Can't Post |
I agree. Compared to the past, the stations are generally OK. The new ones almost always have good restrooms, sometimes someone wants a peso or two to enter, usually not. In recent years I have been snookered only once with the 200 to 20 peso bill switcheroo.

I usually fill up when the tank is 1/2 empty and I know more or less how many litres should fill it up. I keep track of the mpg and if there were any big inconsistencies, I would notice them.

I've always found most of the attendents to be helpful with directions, even when I haven't needed gas.

General rule: always get out of the car before the pumping begins, be friendly, make eye contact when you hand over the bill and say what the bill is without being arrogant and always give the guy a tip.

James Hayden

Ernie Gorrie

Feb 14, 2003, 9:47 PM

Post #16 of 16 (2062 views)

Shortcut

Re: [James Hayden] Pemex

Can't Post |
I have never had a problem in the Zihuatanejo area. And there is a Pemex station in Mazatlan that seems to be scrupulous. It is the first station one encounters when coming in from the north on the cuota. It appears to me that all of the attendents are female. They have always insisted that I look at the gas meter before they will start pumping.

My only bad experience with Pemex was at one on the east side periferico in Hermosillo. Not only were the washrooms disgusting, but I got stung with the gas jockey not resetting to zero before pumping. After scores of fills with no problems I let my guard down for a moment.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4