Forums  > Areas > Jalisco's Lake Chapala Region
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Ed

Dec 22, 2002, 11:59 AM

Post #1 of 36 (7109 views)

Shortcut

Homes With Walls Around Property

|
I have seen walls with glass on top,strands of razzor wire ,chain link fence on top.The one that realy got me was a wall 12ft. tall with 4ft.high 4 strand electric fencing.all it needed was a gun turret & a guard post.Don't you think thats gone a little to far.Theft in the area can't be that bad,that you need a fortress,ha.Plus I don't think it adds to drive up appeal of a property.Or maybe they are just paranoid.

Mister.Bill

Dec 22, 2002, 12:53 PM

Post #2 of 36 (6649 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Ed] Homes With Walls Around Property

|
There's nothing fun about being robbed. It's also another thing to be the subject to a home invasion in the wee hours of the morning and having the crap beaten out of you for the sake of a VCR and the retirement watch.

While some people need to be apart for days or weeks at a time, it's the "peace of mind" thing to the spouse who spends that time here or there alone.

People from all walks of life work hard to get where they are today. Some people can afford to retire to areas that have guards on duty 24/7 like I'm sure you've seen first hand here at lakeside or you can visit areas in Guad like say Bugambilias where one almost needs to provide a blood sample just to get pass the guards to visit friends on the "inside".

People do all kinds of things to feel safe and secure, heck I know someone who really does have a Panic room in there home here at lakeside.

But as for the glass on top of the walls, that may not only be to stop the theif from jumping over, but also to stop birds from doing target pratice on top of the wall and animals from coming into the grounds.

Ed

Dec 22, 2002, 1:59 PM

Post #3 of 36 (6559 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Mister.Bill] Homes With Walls Around Property

|
Bill haveyou been robbed in the middle of the night before,and roughed up.I didn't think they broke in with someone home at night or in the day.If they make it by my dogs then they will have to face me,and I might have a big surprise for them,whomever they may be.

Jeannie

Dec 22, 2002, 2:11 PM

Post #4 of 36 (6566 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
There have been home invasions at Lakeside. They have been reported in the papers.

A local writer once wrote about the time her home was broken into while she was asleep in bed.

If your big surprise is a gun, think twice. A farmer was being robbed of some rabbits out in San Juan Cosala. He came out with a gun to go after them. They killed him. This was also reported in the papers.

Two old men refused to move from a home they had rented for years. The owner had died and the son wanted them out. They were killed. Also reported in the paper.

Most of us here understand the glass and razors, but a blanket thrown over them does not stop anyone.

Ed

Dec 22, 2002, 2:26 PM

Post #5 of 36 (6545 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Jeannie] Homes With Walls Around Property

|
Hello Jeannie,are home invasions going on in Ajijic now.I said nothing of a gun did I,thats why it would be a big surprise for them.They would leave quickly if they could,don't expect any burglers anytime soon.

LJ

Dec 22, 2002, 3:11 PM

Post #6 of 36 (6534 views)

Shortcut

|
Don't mean to add fodder to what appears to be a personal discussion going on here, but ...

The concept of walled homes and security on the top is not a local thing, or a gringo thing (not that it was suggested as that) ... it is more a cultural thing. Walled homes and estates have been the norm in many cultures throughout the world for a long long time. Glass on top of these walls is generally not meant to stop human intruders, but more often to stop four legged ones. With the homes in the area being open designs, with courtyards and such, it helps to keep four-legged visitors out. Other measures on top of those walls is often just meant as a deterrant. This is also a global approach. It goes along with the bars on the windows, which is decorative as well as functional, and not meant to represent a prison-like living atmosphere.

Vicente

Dec 22, 2002, 7:20 PM

Post #7 of 36 (6476 views)

Shortcut

Re: [LJ] Homes With Walls Around Property

|
Sorry to disagree, but broken glass on top of walls, etc, in Mexico, is to MAINLY stop the two legged critters.

Brent

Dec 23, 2002, 5:42 AM

Post #8 of 36 (6423 views)

Shortcut

|
Yes, the walls are a cultural thing. It comes from the Romans. It seems strange for us gringos at first. The gated communities are fairly new in Jalisco.

obe

Dec 23, 2002, 12:33 PM

Post #9 of 36 (6371 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Vicente] Homes With Walls Around Property

|
Yes, You are absolutly correct, glass, etc. is meant for 2 legged critters, this may seam strange to some gringos because if you try to protect your persons and/or property in the U S those critters could and would sue you and the "justice" system would put you in jail.

LJ

Dec 23, 2002, 12:40 PM

Post #10 of 36 (6368 views)

Shortcut

Re: [obe] Homes With Walls Around Property

|
Ok, I concede to those who know then. I had just assumed, based on my own logic, that it would be easy to overcome the issue of glass (blanket, as stated earlier). Given my own experience in the village with glass on the top of the roofs it does work well, if only as a secondary deterrant, for four legged critters (roof dogs), which otherwise could easily enter the property.

Vicente

Dec 23, 2002, 6:02 PM

Post #11 of 36 (6315 views)

Shortcut

|
If someone wants to really break into your home; walls, broken glass, barbed wire, iron bars, alarms and dogs will not stop them. Those items and others will only make them think twice about attempting to break in and most will be turned away.

Ed

Dec 23, 2002, 6:23 PM

Post #12 of 36 (6300 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Vicente] Homes With Walls Around Property

|
Hello Vicente,I agree with your reply.Is it just a normal thing to have your house broken into.If so thats ajoke what a place to live wondering if tonight is the night or not.I can't beleive there is so much theft in the area.So glad I bought a home there.

LJ

Dec 23, 2002, 7:48 PM

Post #13 of 36 (6278 views)

Shortcut

|
Ed, we lived in the village for about two years and never once had our place broken into. One night we even mistakenly left the front door open (not just unlocked). Only thing we had was our car dinged up a bit after leaving it on the street.

The walls, bars and glass (and other accoutrements) on the tops of the walls are, as said previously, more of a deterrant and a cultural thing, not necessarily indicative of crime in the area.

Don

Dec 23, 2002, 7:59 PM

Post #14 of 36 (6281 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
I have owed a house in Mexico since around 1986. The house sat empty most of the time, until we moved here several years ago. Our house has never (knock on wood) been broken into. No matter where you live, there is always a chance of your house being broken into and therefore people take precautions. Even in the United States, people have alarms, dogs, etc. to deter burglars. Many, many people in the U.S. carry theft insurance in their home owner's or renter's policies. I don't believe these people are sitting there waiting for their homes to be broken into, they are just taking precautions in case it does happen. I had friends in the U.S. that got two large dogs to protect their home after it was burglarized. Several years later, their house was broken into again and two of the items taken were the dogs. So I too agree that if someone wants to break into a house, they can, but obvious deterrents are helpful in seeing that some possible burglaries don't occur.

(This post was edited by Don on Dec 23, 2002, 8:09 PM)

jennifer rose

Dec 23, 2002, 8:20 PM

Post #15 of 36 (6294 views)

Shortcut

|
While I don't live in Lakeside, perhaps the single aspect I treasure most about my home are its walls. And yes, atop the glass-edged brick is chain link, with plastic green strips intervoven, and barbed wired atop the chain link. It makes my home my domain, and keeps the neighbors from looking in. And it keeps me from spying on what the neighbors are up to. It's a matter of maintaining my home as my private sanctuary.

The bars on the windows are simply part of the design of the house.

What those who aren't accustomed to our culture in Mexico may see as objectionable, we see as simply a desirable part of our landscape.

When I observe houses with living room windows open out onto the street and exposed gardens, I think vulnerability, lack of privacy, and a certain degree of exhibitionism.

Yes, my home has been burglarized. About 8 years ago. And by an American.

Alteño

Dec 23, 2002, 10:14 PM

Post #16 of 36 (6281 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Brent] WALLED HOMES

|
Brent, you are correct, Walled Homes are a culturally influenced architectonic style. From the Roman Empire, to Hispania, to Nueva España (México). In older, Colonial, Mexican homes there is a hybrid design: a "Home-Fortress". For centuries, homes in México have been built with high walls surrounding them, and wrought iron in windows and in the "cancel" beyond the wooden main door (Rústico Mexicano and Colonial Mexicano). As a matter of fact, walls have been lowering its height in time. The older the house, the higher the walls. Remember, a man's house is his castle.

Regarding the gated communities or Condominios Horizontales, the first license for one in Jalisco, is dated in 1987. This type of construction was impulsed and promoted by the Government. Because the co-owners of the communal property will be responsible for maintaining and servicing the inside of the property, thus, relieving the Government from that, and other obligations. Besides, it's a business-wise decision made by the builder, those houses inside a gated community sell for more money. This last fact, by itself, is enough to explain the proliferation of gated communities.

¥Hank¥

Dec 24, 2002, 3:21 AM

Post #17 of 36 (6282 views)

Shortcut

|
Another way to look at it if you go to the upper class neighborhoods in GDL they are all walled up like you described or are in a gated community.

Now I believe in the lakeside that's a little too much. All you need is a decent fence and a loud dog.

Brent

Dec 24, 2002, 6:57 AM

Post #18 of 36 (6231 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Alteño] WALLED HOMES

|
Are you from Los Altos? Thanks for more of the history. In the REAL Old days, the girls would sit in the windows, behind the bars, and the suitors would be in the street and talk to them.

Gated communities are`now becoming the fashion in Mexico, Guatemala, and indeed all of Latin America, security concerns have now taken over along with exclusivity as the major reasons for living in those communities. For me, I will take my chances out of the wall

Brad.

Dec 24, 2002, 11:16 AM

Post #19 of 36 (6190 views)

Shortcut

|
Just curious as to which community was the first? Was it in the ZMG?

Alteño

Dec 24, 2002, 7:30 PM

Post #20 of 36 (6144 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Brad Smith] WALLED HOMES

|
Brad,

No, it wasn't in the ZMG. The first license was for the Condominium inside the Club de Golf Santa Anita, in the municipio of Tlajomulco de Zúñiga. It was the model for future developments all over the ZMG.

Alteño

Dec 24, 2002, 8:05 PM

Post #21 of 36 (6151 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Brent] WALLED HOMES

|
Brent,

Yes, I am from Tepatitlán in Los Altos. I still got to talk with some novia by the window (not so long ago). This is a practice that can still be seen in the towns in Los Altos.

Regarding the gated communities, when my daughters were kids, it was the best place for them to live in Guadalajara. Now, I am planning to sell and move out. I grew up in a large, adobe house in Tepa, with 12 bedrooms, two patios, a corral for horses, lots of wrought iron and clay tile floors, and very high walls and ceilings. Much like the old houses in Tlaquepaque, turned into shops these days. Highly superior to a gated community.

jerry k

Dec 24, 2002, 8:55 PM

Post #22 of 36 (6146 views)

Shortcut

|
Why not get a whalden pond and therou a wall around it?

Ed

Dec 25, 2002, 7:11 AM

Post #23 of 36 (6120 views)

Shortcut

Walls Around Homes

|
I think the walls look nice if taken care of.It's the so called security measures that they add to the top tht gets me,some really over do it.My new home has walls and they look nice.To me with all the razor wire,barbed wire,electric fence on top etc.looks as if you are telling a mightbe burglar that you really have some nice stuf inside,thats why you have the fortress look.Just my personal outlook on this.Who knows later I might have an electric fence on top,ha.

scott

Dec 25, 2002, 9:02 PM

Post #24 of 36 (6103 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jennifer rose] Homes With Walls Around Property

|
I think living in a fortress is highly anti-social, this isn't personal or anything thats just how I feel. Its nice to sit out front and say hi to the neighbors walking by, etc... But then again it may depend on whether you live in a busy area or not. But personally I would never want to live in a fortress. For privacy, thats why you have a backyard.....

I saw someone say they left their front door wide open one night. Well here where Jennifer and I are, I think theres more danger of the police coming and waking you up at two or three in the morning, to see why your house is open, than actually getting robbed. My aunt and uncle did this about two months ago, and you can hardly hear the door bell from their bedroom. The kids were at their grandparents that night, so um, yeah, and anyways my aunt and uncle were woken up in their very own bedroom, without covers of course, by the 10 police officers who came to see what was going on. Oooh, and they of course went and woke up the neighbors, at two or three in the morning, because they needed a witness to go with them....... My aunt and uncle were woken up with a couple police officers and the neighbor all standing around their bed wanting to know why on gods earth they had gone to sleep with the front door wide open........... I guess the velador thought they had been burglarized and murdered or something and thats why no one was answering..... So he called the police.... And now the neighbor has seen my aunt naked... Nice eh??????

As I said I think big walls are highly antisocial, but I love the bars on the windows. If you did that where I am from in Canada, well I think its probably illegal to begin with. You know how are you supposed to escape if there is a fire, etc.... But I love having bars on my windows without people thinking anything of it..... But, I see people implying its still relatively easy to break in if they really want to... Aside from attacking me myself and stealing my keys, how easy is it exactly to get past the bars, assuming any power tools would wake up all the neighbors and ourselves? Are they less fool proof than I seem to think?

Brent

Dec 26, 2002, 5:48 AM

Post #25 of 36 (6079 views)

Shortcut

|
I have a friend from Tepa, she is beautiful, blonde, green-eyed, and tall. I thought she was an exception until she took me to her town, and others in " Los Altos", I couldn't believe how beautiful the women were. I heard that many French settled there from the days of Maximilliano, and the resultant intermarriages produced " Las Alteñas".

The climate and countryside was beautiful also!

Brent
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4