Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > General Forum

Garry

Dec 20, 2002, 4:08 AM

Post #1 of 5 (1580 views)

Shortcut

"Ready Ice"

Can't Post |
My family is about to take a car trip to Zacatecas and Real de Catorce for Navidad. In the States, we bring a big Igloo cooler to keep food an drinks in (and yes, I know we'll have to be food free when we cross the border), but I am curious about the availability of those bags of ice that are so plentiful in The Land of Plenty.

I have seen Igloos for sale all over Mexico, but I can't recall seeing ice for sale? Is it easy to find?

dmx

Dec 20, 2002, 5:07 AM

Post #2 of 5 (1524 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Garry] "Ready Ice"

Can't Post |
Garry: You must be kidding! Ice is available everywhere: all supermarkets, Oxxo, many Pemex stations , all convenience stores, lots of ice houses, etc. As for taking food across, never had aproblem. I and many of my neighbors bring huge ice chests full of food. Some even start the season with a freezer full of food.

sparks

Dec 20, 2002, 5:16 AM

Post #3 of 5 (1517 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Garry] "Ready Ice"

Can't Post |
Not sure why you would have to be food free. Fresh fruits and vegetables are the only controlled items.

Uncle Jack

Dec 20, 2002, 5:25 AM

Post #4 of 5 (1512 views)

Shortcut

Hielo

Can't Post | Private Reply
I don't know how much Spanish you speak, but the word is "Hielo". I have never been anywhere in Mexico where there weren't several signs advertising hielo. As far as food is concerned, you can bring most anything that you want that is canned, packaged, or prepared. The only restrictions that I know of are on fresh vegetables and fruits. You might check on fresh meat and fowl.

Garry

Dec 20, 2002, 6:46 AM

Post #5 of 5 (1500 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Uncle Jack] Hielo

Can't Post |
I stand (extensively) corrected. Now I remember buying hielo at Gigante. I only thought having any perishable food would lead to a slow down at the border.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4