Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

Italiano715

Nov 4, 2018, 4:05 PM

Post #1 of 5 (3096 views)

Shortcut

Driving a newer car permanently to Mexico

Can't Post | Private Reply
Here’s one I haven’t read about before. My husband has dual US/Mexican citizenship. I am US citizen. We are moving permanently to Mexico. We want to bring both our cars. Both are less than 8 yrs. old. I know I can pay for a windshield sticker that is tied to my residente temporal, but my husband apparently cannot do that with his car since it is only 5 yrs old. Someone mentioned getting a TIP and then driving to the border every 6 months for a new one. Is this our only option, other than selling it, which we really don’t want to do?

rvgringo

Nov 5, 2018, 7:07 AM

Post #2 of 5 (3081 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Italiano715] Driving a newer car permanently to Mexico

With dual citizenship, your husband is Mexican whenever he is in Mexico. His car is too new to be imported, and he cannot get a TIP as an American tourist. He will have to sell his car in the USA and buy another in Mexico.
You, as an expat with a Residente Temporal visa, may get an Importada Temporal for your car, good for no more than the remaining time on your visa, until you transition to Residente Permanente and/or Naturalization. Before that happens, you must also remove your 'foreign' car from Mexico.
So....plan ahead. You will replace both cars before long. You cannot "drive a newer car permanently to Mexico".

RickS

Nov 5, 2018, 6:22 PM

Post #3 of 5 (3074 views)

Shortcut

If you are looking for a second opinion on this.... my opinion is that RVGringo is spot on. What you wish to do cannot be done.

Your ‘foreign vehicle’ is good, as RV says, as long as your Temporal has left on it... and that is assuming that you take/have taken positive action with Aduana every year when you renew your Temporal with INM. Your TIP doesn’t automatically renew with your visa renewal, it must be renewed by you in a separate effort at the same time.

Currently the youngest foreign vehicle than can be permanently imported into Mexico is a 2011 model... and it must be a NAFTA manufactured vehicle, VIN # starting with either 1,2,3,4 or 5. Next November it will move to 2012 and so on... at least by current law.

playaboy

Nov 6, 2018, 8:16 AM

Post #4 of 5 (3060 views)

Shortcut

The TIP programs is not only for foreigners. Mexicans get TIP's all the time. The programs primary function is to allow Mexicans to drive their foreign titled and plated cars in Mexico if the are legal residents of another country.

If your husband keeps a USA address and current USA registration he can get a TIP for his car. Just check up on the restrictions as they are different than for foreigners.
You should check with a car broker regarding permanently importing the vehicles. I know of many exceptions for the above stated import rules, including myself when I imported my personal vehicle which was outside the Nafta parameters.

RickS

Nov 6, 2018, 7:24 PM

Post #5 of 5 (3049 views)

Shortcut

Re: [playaboy] Driving a newer car permanently to Mexico

Good to know......

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4