Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring

dremix09

Sep 22, 2018, 1:52 PM

Post #1 of 3 (1257 views)

Shortcut

Freelancer trying to get Temp Residency

Can't Post | Private Reply
Hi all,

I have a question for you. I am a Freelancer who has been living in mexico but has been having to go back and forth every 6 months since I am not a Temp Resident. I am from the US. I am having a difficult time with the application process of the temp resident. Obviously as a Freelancer I don't have an official " Letter of Employment" that the consulates are all asking for. I make well over the minimum about required to be in the country and have all the bank statements to prove this. However the 2 consulates I've contact have told me I would need to prove I have a average balance of 25,000 in my accounts since "you're self employed". Has anyone had experience with this? How were you able to get around this?

roberth

Sep 23, 2018, 9:52 AM

Post #2 of 3 (1241 views)

Shortcut

Re: [dremix09] Freelancer trying to get Temp Residency

Things change, and requirements can vary by consulate. Which ones have you contacted?

My situation was slightly different, since I have a telecommuting job with a US company, but all I needed to do was show 6 months of paychecks showing that I was meeting the minimum income requirement. I didn't have to show any bank statements. I went through the process with the consulate in Houston, TX, where I was living at the time. I don't believe there was any kind of "letter of employment" that I was required to produce. I think they just asked me my employment situation, to which I said that I work online for a US company, and showed 6 months of pay stubs, along with whatever other documentation was required.

What were the details for the "letter of employment" as they were described to you? I would consider ways you could tailor the presentation of your working situation to fit what they're looking for. As a freelancer, you are a small business. If all the consulates you contact are giving you the same story, many create a website for your small business and just tell them you work for that company. I would consider something along those lines.

rvgringo

Sep 23, 2018, 2:46 PM

Post #3 of 3 (1219 views)

Shortcut

Re: [dremix09] Freelancer trying to get Temp Residency

As a "freelancer", working for clients outside of Mexico, and being paid outside of Mexico, you could get a residente temporal visa approval, at a Mexican consulate, if you can meet their financial requirements. You mentioned that they did agree that you might be approved if you had about $25,000 USD in savings, for about a year, since you were self-employed. That appears to be a very fair offer & probably the best you can expect. Otherwise, it would be closer to $100,000 USD.So, you now have a goal to work toward, if you are serious. Once you achieve it, you would be able to continue living in Mexico for four years, then transition to residente permanente with no further proofs needed.Just be careful not to work, or accept money for any services performed in Mexico. That would be grounds for deportation....or worse.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4