Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

tejolot3

Aug 8, 2018, 5:44 PM

Post #1 of 15 (5405 views)

Shortcut

Safe and easy border crossing? - Tamaulipas

Can't Post | Private Reply
Our best friends are moving to Mexico next week. Before crossing the border, they will have business in McAllen. Their route on the Mexican side will take them west through Monterrey and Saltillo. They'll have a single vehicle (heavy laden, of course!) and will need to obtain their FMMs and TIP upon entry into Mexico.

However, they have expressed a desire to avoid Reynosa because of the area's reputation for criminal activity. Neither they nor we have experience crossing the border anywhere east of Laredo (our route in the past to where they're moving has gone through either Colombia or Acuña), so I'm hoping someone here could offer some advice.

What is a good (safe and fairly simple) place to cross the border, obtain their FMMs and TIP, and then head toward Monterrey—all while avoiding areas of high criminal activity? I'm not 100% sure if they will cross on a weekday or weekend, if that makes any difference. And, along with your route suggestion, please also let me know whether paperwork is obtained at the border itself or at an inland checkpoint.

Thank you very much for your advice. I know they'll appreciate it, and so will I.
-Kyle

rvgringo

Aug 9, 2018, 8:51 AM

Post #2 of 15 (5398 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tejolot3] Safe and easy border crossing? - Tamaulipas

Pharr is easy and not very far.

tejolot3

Aug 9, 2018, 9:28 AM

Post #3 of 15 (5394 views)

Shortcut

Re: [rvgringo] Safe and easy border crossing? - Tamaulipas

In Reply To
Pharr is easy and not very far.

I've noticed that crossing on the map, and it looks like it connects directly to a new Reynosa bypass. Can you please tell me whether they would obtain FMMs and TIP at the border itself, or is that done at an inland checkpoint?

rvgringo

Aug 9, 2018, 9:38 AM

Post #4 of 15 (5392 views)

Shortcut

Yes, they can. It is an easy crossing and fairly new in the last few years.They may use the bypass quite easily, as there are good signs.

RickS

Aug 9, 2018, 12:09 PM

Post #5 of 15 (5385 views)

Shortcut

Your question is certainly valid, but when you say ‘safe and fairly simple’ and ‘the area’s reputation for criminal activity’, you have, IMO, asked for the undeliverable.

Why? Again in my opinion, ANY area there can either meet the requirement with flying colors or fail miserably.... all depending on the exact 2-hour period you happen through.

No one place fails continuously but is rather a ‘hot spot’ for only a few hours or at most a few days. Then it’s back to relative calm and we all drive right through none-the-wiser.

To my knowledge there has not been any ‘hot spots’ in the Reynosa area for a while and surely none on an on-going basis. The last I know of was actually west of Reynosa on the road to Monterrey, so if that is the route that you friends want/have to take no matter where they cross the border they will end of driving this route.

My recommendation is for your friends to ask this question again here right before they plan to cross. If there is a major problem ‘people will know about it and Post it here’, especially if asked. And people on the border will also know.

Otherwise just let them know that 10s of thousands of people cross at these crossing each day.... 99.99999999% without incident. You can’t get those odds GUARANTEED in any big city anywhere on the globe. So just don’t worry but just be vigilant.

tejolot3

Aug 9, 2018, 1:19 PM

Post #6 of 15 (5382 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] Safe and easy border crossing? - Tamaulipas

In Reply To
Your question is certainly valid, but when you say ‘safe and fairly simple’ and ‘the area’s reputation for criminal activity’, you have, IMO, asked for the undeliverable.

Why? Again in my opinion, ANY area there can either meet the requirement with flying colors or fail miserably.... all depending on the exact 2-hour period you happen through.

No one place fails continuously but is rather a ‘hot spot’ for only a few hours or at most a few days. Then it’s back to relative calm and we all drive right through none-the-wiser.

To my knowledge there has not been any ‘hot spots’ in the Reynosa area for a while and surely none on an on-going basis. The last I know of was actually west of Reynosa on the road to Monterrey, so if that is the route that you friends want/have to take no matter where they cross the border they will end of driving this route.

My recommendation is for your friends to ask this question again here right before they plan to cross. If there is a major problem ‘people will know about it and Post it here’, especially if asked. And people on the border will also know.

Otherwise just let them know that 10s of thousands of people cross at these crossing each day.... 99.99999999% without incident. You can’t get those odds GUARANTEED in any big city anywhere on the globe. So just don’t worry but just be vigilant.

Yes, they and we are both aware of the undue hype about violence in Mexico. We first started going there regularly back in 2009, which is right around the time it started making headlines here in the States, so it's been a constant source of conversation with friends and family—as I'm sure you understand full well. Since that time, I've actually done quite a bit of research, including the monthly data set published by the PGR back in 2011 and again in 2012, which broke down narco-homicides by municipio and month. In that research, I learned that violence in most border cities remains low most of the time, but spikes occasionally every few months. I've written several treatises on the subject, but my knowledge base has sort of petered out these last few years. So it's not like they legitimately fear for their lives or anything.

But they have a young daughter (three years old maybe?), plus the wife is pregnant with their second. Her motherly instincts have encouraged her to request that her husband not drive through Reynosa along the way, and he as a considerate man is granting her request. So, since they are in the middle of packing and all that moving hullabaloo, he asked me to look into it for him. I'm the map geek anyway. I was hoping to avoid this thread digressing into a conversation about crime rates (I'm had enough of those over the last nine years), but I also realize it's almost unavoidable. So now, back to the topic at hand.

Thank you for chiming in on the actual situation in Reynosa, as that will go a long way toward assuaging their concerns. And I will take your advice and post here again right before they plan to cross. I think that will be sometime between 7 and 10 days from now.

For now, though, I've been preparing a route log for them—using the Pharr crossing to the Reynosa bypass and then on to Monterrey. Once they get past Monterrey, it will be familiar territory to them as, from that point on, it's the route we used to drive back before 2015.

RickS

Aug 9, 2018, 1:25 PM

Post #7 of 15 (5380 views)

Shortcut

Sounds like you have been on top of things in the past and surely know hype from reality. Good for you. As I suggested, the question is certainly a valid one and maybe more so with their current family situation.
I'll watch for your Post next week and share anything I have or have not heard about the border.

playaboy

Aug 10, 2018, 4:52 AM

Post #8 of 15 (5372 views)

Shortcut

I have used the Anzalduas crossing many times. I like it better than Pharr. It is a one stop modern crossing. Only a couple of miles to Hwy 40 with little to no traffic.

tejolot3

Aug 11, 2018, 7:02 AM

Post #9 of 15 (5355 views)

Shortcut

Re: [playaboy] Safe and easy border crossing? - Tamaulipas

Is Pharr not a one-shop stop?
Can you obtain FMM and TIP in the same building at Pharr?

playaboy

Aug 12, 2018, 5:53 AM

Post #10 of 15 (5338 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
Is Pharr not a one-shop stop?
Can you obtain FMM and TIP in the same building at Pharr?

Either crossing will work for your friends. I just like Anzalduas.

tejolot3

Aug 17, 2018, 2:01 PM

Post #11 of 15 (4251 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
Sounds like you have been on top of things in the past and surely know hype from reality. Good for you. As I suggested, the question is certainly a valid one and maybe more so with their current family situation.
I'll watch for your Post next week and share anything I have or have not heard about the border.

Well, I saw my friends off on Wednesday afternoon. I haven't talked to them since yesterday morning, but they should be in McAllen today and cross the border at Pharr tomorrow morning.

So, as requested, I'm checking in to see if you've heard of any security issues in the area.

Thank you.

RickS

Aug 17, 2018, 2:21 PM

Post #12 of 15 (4249 views)

Shortcut

I have heard of NO problems at the border of Mexico and the USA......

tejolot3

Aug 17, 2018, 4:00 PM

Post #13 of 15 (4246 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
Sounds like you have been on top of things in the past and surely know hype from reality. Good for you.

For what it's worth, I did some math today related to that hype. If there were two criminal incidents on the highway per year between Nuevo Laredo and Monterrey, then any given traveler's chance of being involved would be approximately 1 in 3 million. That's roughly the same probability as being injured by lightning in the U.S. last year (2017 was an all-time low for lightning injuries). Even if there were one incident every two weeks, the probability would still be about 13 times less than my being murdered in my hometown of Wichita in a given year.

People, I think, simply don't appreciate the sheer volume of traffic a highway handles. That is to say, they don't grasp the "population size" of a travel route. 1.7 million vehicles passed through the Reynosa–Monterrey toll booth last year. How many incidents were there during that time? For comparison, the city of Phoenix has about the same population as that, and more than 100 people are murdered in Phoenix every year. So, unless there were more than 100 incidents on the highway between Reynosa and Monterrey, living in Phoenix for a year is more dangerous than driving between those two cities.

Sorry to derail thread in exactly the same manner I hoped it wouldn't be derailed... I do appreciate your checking in and letting me know there aren't any "situations" going on. I know I can count on this forum community to have a good handle on things.

Brian

Aug 24, 2018, 4:41 PM

Post #14 of 15 (3215 views)

Shortcut

One person's hype is another's reality. There are better sources for up to date information about security than MexConnect.

http://www.borderlandbeat.com/...e-travelling-in.html

(This post was edited by RickS on Aug 25, 2018, 9:30 AM)

Brian

Sep 18, 2018, 3:24 PM

Post #15 of 15 (9 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Brian] Safe and easy border crossing? - Tamaulipas

More current info about Tamaulipas:

http://www.borderlandbeat.com/...sa.html#comment-form

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4