Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring

dremix09

Aug 6, 2018, 10:38 AM

Post #1 of 3 (604 views)

Shortcut

Issue with cleaning lady - Legal advice

Can't Post | Private Reply
Hi all,

I have a question. I am probably going to contact a lawyer here but I just want advice, reassurance. I live in Monterrey and recently stop working with a cleaning lady who had been cleaning my apartment for about a year. She was always late and making up stories so I just told her I didn't need her help anymore. I got a call from her today saying that she is demanding her severance pay and she'll contact a lawyer if I don't pay it. She only came once a week and I paid her 300 pesos each time. There was no contract set up between us. Can she really demand I pay her? If so, how much would I be required to give her? She was very nasty with me on the phone....

rvgringo

Aug 6, 2018, 12:07 PM

Post #2 of 3 (600 views)

Shortcut

Re: [dremix09] Issue with cleaning lady - Legal advice

Yes, very definitely, and she is entitled to it by law. You must pay her the correct amount. Look at a site called rollybrook.com, which contains this informatioln, and a lot more on living in Mexico. You will learn how to calculate and prepare the 'finiquito'. Otherwise, you will probably need a lawyer to do it for you. The amount is based upon her pay and the amount of time she worked for you, with or without a contract.
Don't feel bad. You are not the first to hire someone without knolwing that fact.Let her know you are getting it done & please be pleasant about it. If she involves the Labor Board, you will not be a happy camper.

playaboy

Aug 8, 2018, 6:10 AM

Post #3 of 3 (573 views)

Shortcut

Re: [dremix09] Issue with cleaning lady - Legal advice

RV is correct especially the part about you not being happy if she involves the labor board. Get a lawyer and pay her off. It won't be much.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4