Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring

MexDog

Jul 30, 2018, 7:18 PM

Post #1 of 21 (891 views)

Shortcut

Yet Another Tricky Car Question

Can't Post | Private Reply
My wife and I are trying to figure out how to bring down a 2006 or earlier diesel sedan that can be converted to run on veggie waste oil. The issue is two-fold. My wife and I both have our residente permanente, so bringing it in on a TIP is not possible, and the model year is too old to meet the current import restrictions. We are comfortable that if we bring it in on someone elses TIP, we can get papers for it once here. The questions we have are: A. If a friend brings it in on thier TIP, and then it stays, are there any long term consequences for them other than losing the bond (which we will pay, of course). And B. Would said friend have to drive it all the way down here to Jalisco, or could we take over in Tiajuana and drive it the rest of the way,without the TIP holder being along for the ride? Any and all advice appreciated. Thanks!

playaboy

Jul 31, 2018, 4:24 AM

Post #2 of 21 (887 views)

Shortcut

Re: [MexDog] Yet Another Tricky Car Question

In Reply To
My wife and I are trying to figure out how to bring down a 2006 or earlier diesel sedan that can be converted to run on veggie waste oil. The issue is two-fold. My wife and I both have our residente permanente, so bringing it in on a TIP is not possible, and the model year is too old to meet the current import restrictions. We are comfortable that if we bring it in on someone elses TIP, we can get papers for it once here. The questions we have are: A. If a friend brings it in on thier TIP, and then it stays, are there any long term consequences for them other than losing the bond (which we will pay, of course). And B. Would said friend have to drive it all the way down here to Jalisco, or could we take over in Tiajuana and drive it the rest of the way,without the TIP holder being along for the ride? Any and all advice appreciated. Thanks!

Why don't you skip the TIP and get the phony papers to start with? Then drive down with MX plates

MexDog

Jul 31, 2018, 6:17 AM

Post #3 of 21 (882 views)

Shortcut

Re: [playaboy] Yet Another Tricky Car Question

Well, that's an interesting thought. My plan, once getting the vehicle down here, was to first get Onnanada agricultural plates-easy to get for TIP car here in Jalisco-then deal with nationalizing through back channels later. The problem is that Onnanada plates are only good for two states, Jalisco & Nayarit, so it still doesn't solve getting the vehicle down here from the border.If driving on someone else's TIP is allowed, then we're all set. I just don't know if it is or not?

chicois8

Jul 31, 2018, 7:21 AM

Post #4 of 21 (879 views)

Shortcut

Only problem is the friend may not drive and get a TIP in the future if they leave Mexico without the other cars TIP being resolved...
At the San Yisidro crossing they could not give me a TIP, they said either get it at La Paz ferry crossing or Mexicali...
Rincon de Guayabitos,Nayarit
San Mateo, California

MexDog

Jul 31, 2018, 7:25 AM

Post #5 of 21 (878 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chicois8] Yet Another Tricky Car Question

The friends that are ready to help us with this have no intereste in having a car here, so that's not a problem.

The main question is; do you know if it is ok for us, with our residente permanente staus, to drive what will be their TIP vehicle down from the border without them. That's the main issue we're facing. Thanks.

rvgringo

Jul 31, 2018, 8:11 AM

Post #6 of 21 (877 views)

Shortcut

Absolutely not.You, as Residente Permanente, are prohibited from operating or posessing a foreign plated vehicle in Mexico unless the owner/importer is in the vehicle. You would be in violation of your visa, and the vehicle could be confiscated.
Possibly worse: If there was an accident, the owner/importer of the vehicle would be held accountable, even if the Importada Temporal had expired and the vehicle had become illegal. That, of course, would put you in double jeopardy; even worse if you have property in Mexico.
It is a very bad idea.

MexDog

Jul 31, 2018, 8:14 AM

Post #7 of 21 (876 views)

Shortcut

Re: [rvgringo] Yet Another Tricky Car Question

Thank you for the very clear answer, even if it's not the one I wanted to hear. Can you think of any way of tackling this puzzler?

rvgringo

Jul 31, 2018, 8:26 AM

Post #8 of 21 (874 views)

Shortcut

Unfortunately, I cannot. If the car is not eligible for permanent importation because of age, you are out of luck. Also, it is diesel, which is also a disqualification, I think.I like the concept, but it would not be wise to pursue the importation of such a vehicle; especially illegally. You have too much to lose.
You can buy used vehicles in Mexico, even diesels in some small vehicles, and you could do a similar conversion in Mexico, if you wish. An older VW pickup might be a candidate, as would a tour of junkyards for older diesel engines. I loved the 1980s VW 4cyl diesel used in the Rabbits, etc. It continued, with few modifications, for a decade, or more, in VWs and Audis.

MexDog

Jul 31, 2018, 8:32 AM

Post #9 of 21 (873 views)

Shortcut

Yes, we've looked for a year now and are not finding a vehicle that would work. The used market is much tighter and more localized here.

What we may do is have said friends drive it all the way down, then deal with plating it. Our daughter has been driving an Onannada plated car (orignally brought in on TIP) for several years and has been pulled over by both local and fed's several times with no problem.

rvgringo

Jul 31, 2018, 8:57 AM

Post #10 of 21 (872 views)

Shortcut

Be aware that what you propose is very illegal and will endanger your RP status, possession of the vehicle, and will endanger your friend, who will always remain as the 'owner' and 'responsible person', as the original importer of the vehicle, which he has agreed to never sell in Mexico, and your insurance will probably be invalid, as the vehicle will still be in Mexico illegally.
Getting away with it, or not having 'problems' when pulled over for a traffic violation, could lead you to a false sense of security.Those 'back channel' methods of getting plates are not legal, and I think you know it.
Possible consequences:Serious Accident-Original Importer and You arrested & jailed.Revocation of visa.
Deportation.Loss of property & financial assets in Mexico.

MexDog

Jul 31, 2018, 9:53 AM

Post #11 of 21 (869 views)

Shortcut

All good advice. Thank you!

playaboy

Jul 31, 2018, 2:22 PM

Post #12 of 21 (860 views)

Shortcut

Have you spoken with a car broker at the border?

MexDog

Jul 31, 2018, 2:46 PM

Post #13 of 21 (858 views)

Shortcut

No, but that's a good suggestion. We have a guy there we've used previously, but we just assumed this was a no go becasue of the age. Couldn't hurt to ask him though. I'll do that!

MexDog

Jul 31, 2018, 2:50 PM

Post #14 of 21 (857 views)

Shortcut

Do you know about the Onannada agricultural plates? If our friend brings the car down and gets those plates in his name, then what would be illegal about our using the vehicle after that? My understanding is those plates, while funky, are a legitimate loophole. Obvously skipping on the TIP would not be 100% kosher, but that's relatively minor as long as the vehicle isn't sold, correct?

playaboy

Aug 1, 2018, 5:46 AM

Post #15 of 21 (847 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
No, but that's a good suggestion. We have a guy there we've used previously, but we just assumed this was a no go becasue of the age. Couldn't hurt to ask him though. I'll do that!

You should speak with a couple of car brokers. I was able to legally import an "out of date" car.

What kind of car do you want to import? I had a Ford 7.3 IDI pickup here in Mexico for 6 years. I ran veggie, tranny fluid, motor oil thru the motor always flushing with regular diesel.

(This post was edited by playaboy on Aug 1, 2018, 5:47 AM)

MexDog

Aug 1, 2018, 9:01 AM

Post #16 of 21 (833 views)

Shortcut

Ideally we'de bring in a 2006 or earlier VW Jetta for conversion to veggie waste oil. Other coomparable model sedans would be OK, but that would be our first choice. A Mexican Bora from those years would be fine, but they are scarcer than hens teeth.

How did you manage to import your out-of-date truck? Was there some special loop hole you used?

RickS

Aug 1, 2018, 3:15 PM

Post #17 of 21 (826 views)

Shortcut

I'm a little late to the dance, but.....
You said, "We are comfortable that if we bring it in on someone else's TIP, we can get papers for it once here."
In order for this 'someone else' to even get a TIP, the vehicle title must be in their name. I didn't see you addressing that.
I'm going to join the crowd that says you have waaaay too much to loose should something bad happen while driving that vehicle... for a long time into the future.

I understand that part about Mexican vehicles like you want are hard to find.... especially in your neck of the woods. BUT I find it hard to believe that you could not find what you want around the Guadalajara area.

(This post was edited by RickS on Aug 1, 2018, 3:24 PM)

playaboy

Aug 1, 2018, 4:38 PM

Post #18 of 21 (820 views)

Shortcut

I don't know what loophole my broker used and I didn't ask. I just followed her instructions.

Just buy a Mexican diesel. There are lots of VW diesels online for sale in Jalisco. You can even buy a later year model and not worry about the ULSD crap USA diesels require.

MexDog

Aug 1, 2018, 4:47 PM

Post #19 of 21 (819 views)

Shortcut

Yes, that would be ideal, however it has to be 2006 or earlier to convert for veggie oil use. They're scarce here and there's is virtually no market for older used cars online. I've spent time looking before with no luck, but searching again will be part of trying to resolve this.

jeffie1

Aug 3, 2018, 9:54 AM

Post #20 of 21 (798 views)

Shortcut

Mercadolibre has three 2006 Diesel Jetta's advertised. Maybe one of these would meet your needs.

https://vehiculos.mercadolibre.com.mx/...enta_FUEL*TYPE_60406

(This post was edited by RickS on Aug 3, 2018, 2:42 PM)

MexDog

Aug 4, 2018, 4:31 PM

Post #21 of 21 (769 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jeffie1] Yet Another Tricky Car Question

Thank you for the listings. I'll give them a try, but I've always run down blind alleys when searching this vehicle on Mercado Libre in the past. Either I get no response, or the listing is well out-of-date. But I'll keep trying, starting with these three!

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4