Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring

skyline

Jul 7, 2018, 4:11 PM

Post #1 of 3 (1482 views)

Shortcut

INAPAM

Can't Post | Private Reply
After getting either a FM2 or FM3. When applying for Mexican National Health Insurance, INAPAM, does having a pacemaker disqualify you? If one does qualify and wishes to purchase a supplemental health insurance carrier much like we do here with Medicare NOB, is that possible too? Thanks in advance, skyline.

johanson

Jul 7, 2018, 5:06 PM

Post #2 of 3 (1480 views)

Shortcut

Re: [skyline] INAPAM

I thought my INAPAN card was a card for those residents over 60 that gives you a small discount at many but not all pharmacies. I have also paid Doctors and laboratories less when paying them for a visit or test. They also provide a discount for travel on local busses and airlines. museums etc. So it has nothing to do whether you have a pace maker or not.
Now Mexican health insurance is another matter and yes pre-existing conditions do impact coverage. But I am not the person to speak about this as I do not have any local insurance

RickS

Jul 7, 2018, 5:23 PM

Post #3 of 3 (1480 views)

Shortcut

Re: [skyline] INAPAM

Skyline, a couple of things....
Your reference to FM2 and FM3 is outdated. There has been no immigration status by that name for maybe 5 years. These have been replace similarly but surely not exactly by Residente Permanente and Residente Temporal.

Also, INAPAM is not Mexico National Health Insurance but rather it is a "Discount card for Seniors" 60 years or older for discounts on a whole range of goods and services including food, medicines, transport, clothing, as well as recreation and leisure activities.
Mexico's healthcare system is IMSS (Mexican Social Security Institute) and lately has been followed up by Seguro Popular. I will let you google these or otherwise find out about them. Both are available to expats. IMSS does have some pre-existing conditions limitations but I don't think that Seguro Poplar does. Both of these medical programs vary GREATLY in service and conditions depending on where one lives... some facilities being great and others marginal at best.

To my knowledge there is NO such thing as a 'supplement' to either of these. However, one can get very good private insurance from several companies and for MUCH less than the cost NOB. Many expats get a private insurance policy and use IMSS or SP for catastrophic coverage.

Just so you know, US Medicare is NOT available in Mexico, or said differently will not pay for services SOB.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4