Forums  > Areas > Mexico City & Surroundings

Abrria

Apr 11, 2018, 2:40 PM

Post #1 of 7 (3042 views)

Shortcut

Relocating to Mexico City-any expats?

Can't Post | Private Reply
Hola a todo.

I am thinking of maybe relocating to Mexico City from the Lake Chapala area next week as my husband lives in DF and is Mexican.

He is concerned for me that I won't meet any expats or hear any English. I do not intend to drive there. Our home is in the Xochimilco area.

If anyone would kindly address this issue I would greatly appreciate any constructive comments/and/or advise. My Spanish is passable.

Also, if anyone knows of a physical place where I can have personal mail shipped from the US to be picked up in Mexico City, that would be great information.

Muchas gracias y que tengan buen día.

La Isla

Apr 13, 2018, 11:51 AM

Post #2 of 7 (3020 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Abrria] Relocating to Mexico City-any expats?

Hi,

I am an expat, a single woman from the US, and live in Mexico City. However, I live in the center of the city near the US Embassy, which is very far away from Xochimilco. Maybe living in a place where not many people speak English will force you to use and improve your Spanish, just a thought.

¡Buena suerte!

Abrria

Apr 13, 2018, 1:41 PM

Post #3 of 7 (3017 views)

Shortcut

Re: [La Isla] Relocating to Mexico City-any expats?

Thank you for your response.

How many years have you lived in CDMX and what were some of the biggest challenges you faced when you moved here? What do you like most about the city?

Is it possible to find bi-lingual doctors, attorneys, hair stylists, etc.

This possible relocation is an exciting, yet scary thought.

Muchas gracias y que tenga un buen fin de semana.

La Isla

Apr 13, 2018, 4:58 PM

Post #4 of 7 (3011 views)

Shortcut

I moved back to Mexico in 2007, after having spent longer and shorter periods of time living here over the years beginning with a summer in 1966. I already spoke Spanish fluently, having majored in it in college and spent several years teaching Spanish before switching to ESL/EFL. I love living in big cities in general and love Mexico City for its climate, great public transportation, and plethora of cultural activities.

If by bilingual, you mean people who are equally fluent in Spanish and English, you won't find that many here, though there are many chilangos who have enough knowledge of English to carry on a basic conversation. For example, the lovely guy who cuts my hair can use enough English to communicate with customers who don't know any Spanish, but we always end up chatting in Spanish after a couple of minutes. The immigration lawyer I used when I first arrived did speak English well. None of the doctors I've used here could speak English though I would imagine you could find a few if you looked hard enough, at least where I live. Xochimilco is more of a big village than a typical city neighborhood, so I kind of doubt you'd find fluent English-speakers there. You might ask your husband about this.

De nada, chica. Feel free to let me know if you have any more questions.

Abrria

Apr 13, 2018, 5:50 PM

Post #5 of 7 (3008 views)

Shortcut

Re: [La Isla] Relocating to Mexico City-any expats?

Thank you for your detailed message. By the way, my name is Sandra; Abrria is one of my dogs' names.

My Mexican husband, whose English is quite good, thinks my Spanish is OK, but I know I need to work on it more. I didn't really expect there to be bi-lingual speakers in Xochimilco but rather in central CDMX.

I am trying to reach out to people who live in CDMX so that hopefully I can make some contacts and meet some people. I really appreciate my husband's concern that I would feel isolated if I didn't know anyone. I am 71 and have been around the "taco" truck more times than I can count. I am basically an outgoing person and enjoy meeting new people. I have been part of a Mexican family in this area and they have taught me so much about what it means to be "Mexican." I am also part of a Mexican family in Patzcuaro, MI. That is where my heart and soul truly are. In the village where I live most of my neighbors are Mexican and friends. Since this is such an expat populated area, many of the Mexicans, when they see a "pale" face want to start speaking in English. I always say to them: "por favor, prefiero hablar en español; necisito practicar cada día, cada día!" I am always asking them what the correct word/verb, etc. is in Spanish and I am not afraid to open my mouth; my mother would definitely concur with that.

Well, I hope I have not rambled on too long. I do appreciate the time you have taken to communicate with me. Perhaps one day we will meet...quien sabe?

Sandra

La Isla

Apr 13, 2018, 6:18 PM

Post #6 of 7 (3006 views)

Shortcut

Hi Sandra,

My name is Marsha and I am 72, so we are of the same generation! I think it's brave of you to start anew in a new country at this stage of your life! If you've been living in Expat Central aka the Lake Chapala area and your heart is in Patzcuaro, then I wonder if moving to the Big City is a good idea. I don't mean to discourage you, of course, and would be happy to meet you if/when you move here. And like most large urban areas, Mexico City in some ways is a series of interconnected villages aka "colonias" or neighborhoods, where you end up spending most of your time, especially if you don't have to brave the horrendous traffic to get to work!

¡Que tengas un buen fin de semana!

Abrria

Apr 16, 2018, 10:24 AM

Post #7 of 7 (2980 views)

Shortcut

Buenas tardes Marsha.

I do appreciate your comments about living in a big city. I lived in Los Angeles and Seattle, WA for a number of years...nothing compared to Mexico City though.

If you don't mind I would prefer to communicate further by email, text, and/or Facebook. Would it be safer if I sent you my cell # and I could text you my email address, FB info etc.

I will be coming to the city around June 11th for 10 days. My husband's birthday is June 13 and he will be 50! Nothing like robbing the cradle!!! Hopefully we could meet while I am there.

Again, thank you for all your advice, comments, etc.

Sandra

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4