Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Southern Mexico

DrPaul

Mar 17, 2018, 8:05 AM

Post #1 of 8 (16426 views)

Shortcut

Travel route california to chiapas

Can't Post | Private Reply
Hi everyone. I have a family member who will be traveling down from California to Tuxtla Gutierrez Chiapas and I am hoping i can get some help regarding the safest and easiest travel routes driving and even the best places to stop and rest. Female adult with two small dogs. I know the basics of traveling, only during the day, stay on the toll roads, etc, but no clue about the driving routes as I have always flown. Thanks in advance

rvgringo

Mar 17, 2018, 8:47 AM

Post #2 of 8 (16425 views)

Shortcut

Re: [DrPaul] Travel route california to chiapas

I would suggest going from California to Tucson, AZ, then south on I-19 to the Mariposa border crossing at Nogales, Sonora, Mexico. That will be the start of Rt. 15D, the major toll road all the way to Guadalajara. (Plan 3 days from Tucson to Guadalajara.)

From Guadalajara, Google will show the best routes to bypass Mexico City, and then the route to your destination.

The major problem will be the two dogs, as Mexicans hardly ever travel with pets, and hotels generally do not accept them. However, some “no tell motels“, designed for privacy, may accept them or not know you have them. Dogs are also not welcome in stores or restaurants, actually being illegal in restaurants in some states, like Jalisco, for example. If there is another relative, or friend, already at the destination, it might be better to ship the pets by air.

DrPaul

Mar 17, 2018, 8:56 AM

Post #3 of 8 (16424 views)

Shortcut

Re: [rvgringo] Travel route california to chiapas

Thank you so much for your info, i will pass that along right away :)

RickS

Mar 17, 2018, 3:26 PM

Post #4 of 8 (16416 views)

Shortcut

While I have nothing bad to say about the given route, I ‘belong’ to another frame of mind... stay in the US as long as possible all things else considered.

Several reasons: I find it much ‘easier’, especially for a single woman with pets, to find accommodations in the US, and just as cheap probably. Cost: driving in Mexico will add 1/2 again as much due to the much higher cost gasoline in Mexico for the distance and there well be MUCH less tolls to pay (as in none in the US!)

If it were I, I would stay on Interstate 10 to San Antonio, then I35 down to Laredo. Pick up the toll roads in Mexico there (85 then 40 then 57) all the way to that northern bypass of Mexico City that RVGringo talked about, Arco Norte.

From there, the route would be the same but there would be 700 less miles driven in Mexico.... not 700 fewer miles, just 700 less IN Mexico.

playaboy

Mar 19, 2018, 5:27 AM

Post #5 of 8 (16403 views)

Shortcut

I would take Rick's advice. He crosses the border often and does a lot of driving within Mexico. You might consider crossing at Eagle Pass instead of Laredo.

I have done this drive, just follow Google. You can do the Mexican portion of the drive in 3 days, SLP night one, Cordoba night 2, and then to Tuxla. With animals you might want to make plans for a 4 day drive.

Quite a few consulates in CA issue TIP's and FMM's.

DrPaul

Mar 20, 2018, 7:35 AM

Post #6 of 8 (16385 views)

Shortcut

Re: [playaboy] Travel route california to chiapas

i appreciate your input :)

DrPaul

Mar 20, 2018, 7:36 AM

Post #7 of 8 (16384 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] Travel route california to chiapas

Thanks so much RickS!

citlali

Mar 29, 2018, 4:22 PM

Post #8 of 8 (15242 views)

Shortcut

I am a female and drive Guadalajara San Cristobal de las Casas several times a year. There 2 points to watch out for safety. San Martin Texmalucan before you get to Puebla Do not go through there after dark and Las Choapas on the Vera Cruz Tabasco border where there is a lot of assaults so do not go through there late either.
It is an easy drive..Guadaljara Orizaba or Fortin de las Flores or Cordoba for the first night and then Tuxtla.
To make that area during day light leave Guadalajara as early as possible, if not stay in Puebla.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4