Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

dutchie

Jan 23, 2018, 8:26 AM

Post #1 of 7 (11209 views)

Shortcut

Driving back into USA question

Can't Post | Private Reply
Does anyone know if the registered owner has to be with the vehicle when said vehicle crosses back into USA? The registered owner wants to fly home and her hubby would be driving back. He is not registered as the owner however. Also the deposit was paid in cash. I assume the owner would have to be present to get the cash back?

(This post was edited by dutchie on Jan 23, 2018, 11:29 AM)

RickS

Jan 23, 2018, 2:28 PM

Post #2 of 7 (11200 views)

Shortcut

Re: [dutchie] Driving back into USA question

I have driven many vehicles back across the border without the owner/TIP holder being there...with absolutely no problem. BUT, I have never done so when the deposit was given in cash.

If your husband has the same last name that will probably help. To be safe, I would drop by an attorney or Notario’s office and get a Power of Attorney (Carta Poder) from you to him stating that your spouse can act in your stead to 1) drive the car (yes, I know he already has that right), AND
2) receive the TIP cash deposit return.

dutchie

Jan 23, 2018, 2:37 PM

Post #3 of 7 (11199 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] Driving back into USA question

Thank you Rick!

Since posting I also realized another issue. I drove down with the aforementioned couple. I am not related to them in any way and the wife who is the owner wants to fly back. The new fly in the ointment is that the husband is not comfortable driving in Mexico so I will be driving. My understanding is that only relatives can drive the vehicle without the owner present? In order for me to drive she has to be present in the vehicle?

RickS

Jan 23, 2018, 3:05 PM

Post #4 of 7 (11196 views)

Shortcut

No, if u have "similar visa standing", meaning u are not a National or a Permanente u can drive. I still suggest a Carta Poder just for "insurance". U can be "assigned" the driver and for sure things will be OK.

The exact words are: “The Importer, his or her spouse, parents, children or siblings, ......, by a tourist with a visitor status, temporary residents or temporary student residents or......

If you have a Tourist Card or are a Residente Temporal you “fit” the declaration of who can drive a TIP vehicle without the owner being present. If you are Permanente you CANNOT drive the vehicle under any circumstances.

(This post was edited by RickS on Jan 23, 2018, 6:22 PM)

playaboy

Jan 23, 2018, 4:45 PM

Post #5 of 7 (11193 views)

Shortcut

Rick is 100% correct when he say to get a carta poder. It can protect the drivers butt at some of the checkpoints you will encounter.

dutchie

Jan 23, 2018, 7:00 PM

Post #6 of 7 (11185 views)

Shortcut

Aaah I see. Thank you we will definitely do that. Thanks Rick! I knew this was the forum to get the answers. Much Much appreciated everyone!!!!!

(This post was edited by dutchie on Jan 23, 2018, 7:01 PM)

fred92

Feb 27, 2018, 10:00 PM

Post #7 of 7 (7448 views)

Shortcut

Getting a power of attorney will surely ensure the legality.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4