Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring

kmetzger

Jan 2, 2018, 11:50 AM

Post #1 of 6 (2900 views)

Shortcut

How to cash a check in Mexico

Can't Post | Private Reply
For the past three years someone has been fraudulently cashing my US Treasury checks (tax refund). After filing a complaint, I finally received the first of the three checks I expect to get. Just now my Bancomer bank told me they canít deposit the check in my account. Can anyone suggest a way to cash this check?

rvgringo

Jan 2, 2018, 2:39 PM

Post #2 of 6 (2892 views)

Shortcut

Re: [kmetzger] How to cash a check in Mexico

If you have a US bank accoount, you could scan the check for deposit to that account. Just follow their online banking instructions.
Otherwise, you might find a friend going north and endorse the check to them. They could give you pesos and then they would deposit the check to their own account in the USA. That may be the most simple solution.
Of course, you might want to check with other Mexican banks to find one that would cash your checks, if you had an account with them. They are not all the same; nor are their rules unchanging.

kmetzger

Jan 2, 2018, 3:02 PM

Post #3 of 6 (2890 views)

Shortcut

Re: [rvgringo] How to cash a check in Mexico

Thanks. I had a US bank account until a few years ago when the bank closed it because of FATCA. I guess I'll try to cash it in the US the next time I go. My son has a bank account in Austin.

rvgringo

Jan 2, 2018, 3:14 PM

Post #4 of 6 (2887 views)

Shortcut

Re: [kmetzger] How to cash a check in Mexico

When you are visiting your son, it might be wise to use his address and open a US bank account with good online banking services. You could then have your SS deposited there, using ATMs at advantageous times for cash in Mexico, whch can always be deposited in your Mexican banke, if needed.

bournemouth

Jan 3, 2018, 6:29 AM

Post #5 of 6 (2871 views)

Shortcut

Re: [rvgringo] How to cash a check in Mexico

You cannot remote deposit an IRS check - I tried and failed with BBVA Compass - I suspect it has to do with being able to see the water mark on the checks.

rvgringo

Jan 3, 2018, 8:13 AM

Post #6 of 6 (2861 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bournemouth] How to cash a check in Mexico

Thanks for that information. I was not aware of that fact.
Regards,
Bob

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4